One person in the world?

onelife

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:34 am
With only one being in the world, that beings awareness of its existence makes sense. Once another being appears - then it all becomes ridiculous .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,913 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by onelife
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:37 am
If another person appears, so what?
onelife

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 03:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Put another way. Every person in this world could look in a mirror and quite rightly say. "Why am I the centre of the universe ?" It seems nonsensical but impossible to dismiss.
JLNobody
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 07:16 pm
@onelife,
Why am I the center of MY universe? And why are you the center of YOUR universe? And why is he the center of HIS universe?And why are they the center of THEIR universe?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:09 pm
Another question I asked myself was when I was returning from a bike ride in the country and was approaching the city where I was born.
It was spread out below me in the distance as I topped a rise and I could make out the hospital where I was born, and thought "Why was I born THERE? Why not in another of the million hospitals around the world?"
onelife

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2014 03:45 pm
@JLNobody,
One explanation that has been suggested is that each person does exist in their
own universe and when they die - so does their universe.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 11:18 am
@onelife,
Yes, and as it appears to me when my life ends my "forever" ends. For me, my perception of reality began after my birth and ended when I died. In other words I live forever, MY forever.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 11:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
RF, to me the proper question is Why not there? And it follows from the apriori realization that I HAD to be born somewhere.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 11:25 am
Quote:
Onelife said: One explanation that has been suggested is that each person does exist in their own universe and when they die - so does their universe.

A Star Trek episode touched on that theme when Dr Crusher noticed crew members kept disappearing. She told the captain their names but he said "We've never had anybody with those names on board the Enterprise"
It turned out she was trapped in an alternative reality which was shrinking in on her and deleting people as it went
JLNobody

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 11:42 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
That was one of their best episodes, but I don't see its connection with our present issue. What am I missing?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2014 02:40 pm
@JLNobody,
The nature of how we perceive "reality" and the universe.
One memorable scene in that ST episode goes something like this-
CRUSHER- "I'm telling you Jean-Luc, people are disappearing off this ship and I'm the only one noticing it! Can't you assign Mr. Worf to investigate it?"
PICARD- "I'm sorry Beverly, but who is Mr. Worf?"
0 Replies

room109

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:26 am
@onelife,
snowflower
0 Replies

room109

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 05:28 am
@onelife,
no fair i want the god dam ribbion!!!!

0 Replies