Wake Up and Smell the Coffee?

cobalt

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:31 pm
I am interested in the favorite methods people use to brew coffee at home. I so long for the days my grandmother had a percolater on the gas stove, and later an electric percolater. The smell alone is such a pleasant memory. There's a poll attached to this query - let's share thoughts on java! Just java - not cappuchino, expresso, latte, etc. What works well for you? Equipment, method and beans...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,495 • Replies: 47
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:33 pm
Rats! I tried to get "Other" as an option with the comment "Do tell us". So, posts will be especially interesting if we get the details.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:38 pm
French press rules. Easy to use and excellent results...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:39 pm
I am a dripolator girl - have been ever since I worked in a coffee lounge with the BEST coffee - ah, the joy of opening those huge coffee bags - they used to come wrapped in foil - and smelling them! Oh boy!

I love the smell of percolators - but the coffee tastes "stewed" to me.

What is a french press?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 04:56 pm
The French press consists of a glass cylinder into which the coarsely ground coffee goes. Near boiling water is poured in and left for a short while, say 3-5 minutes. I cover with a tea cosy to keep it warm. When time's up, one depresses a metal filter device that pushes ("presses") the grounds to the bottom. What remains is strong black coffee!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:00 pm
french press
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:00 pm
I use an automatic drip machine at home. I have a small percolator that I use over the camp fire when I go camping and I prefer a percolator but they take a bit longer and I need my coffee in a hurry in the mornings! Smile
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:08 pm
I just love percolators, and my foondest memories as a child are from percolated coffee however, I use a quick drip at home...with the pause and serve so I can get away from the mainlining but get close enough Smile
When I go on trips I actually take instant for the hotel rooms, etc as I find I usually like my own coffee rather than whats available.
I would love a french press but, it just wouldnt be quick enough.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:19 pm
The French press is pretty quick, IMHO. Maybe the drip's a bit faster, I guess, and so's instant, no doubt. It would be fun to do a blind tasting: The same coffee, prepared several ways!
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:30 pm
I have an automatic that's on a timer, so the coffee is ready and waiting when I get up. I give a lot of points for not having to make the coffee in the morning these days. When I lived alone, I used one of those Italian stovetop coffee-makers that boils the water up through the coffee and into a small chamber, and that was the best-tasting.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 05:33 pm
Id be up for a coffee tasting...I think its a good idea.

I have the timer pot as well...however for some reason on the weekends I tend to forget that, or be unable to predict when Id want it really.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 11:15 pm
I have an automatic electric and I grind my own beans. I have one of those thermous ones, so the coffee doesn't burn and stays fresh.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 03:24 am
For some reason, I do coffee at work and in restaurants, but not at home. The talk of percolators did remind me of the recording "Perkin'" though. Anyone remember that one?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 08:28 am
Those thingies do make lovely coffee, don't they Dream?

Now I know what a French press is - we just call 'em plungers...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 09:48 am
We use plungers to clear stubborn toilets. In Australia, I will drink tea.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:06 am
LOL!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 10:07 am
There are tea plungers, too...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:39 am
...the plunger down under...

In more leisurely times, the French press was preferred. Now I occasionally use a little Braun espresso maker I got for my birthday on weekdays and a Gevalia drip (a good dripper with an EXCELLENT glass-lined carafe that I got for buying two pounds of their coffee through the mail and then cancelling the account) on weekends. Got a roaster as a gift, too, so most of the coffee is fresh roasted (though it's better if you grind and brew 24 to 72 hours after you roast -- who's gonna think to roast the day before). There's a little shop at the public market where you can get a couple of pounds of environmentally unfriendly Ethipoian green beans for a couple of bucks, along with very cheap Middle Eastern spices. They've got canned prepared food from that type of the world that you have to guess at from the picture on the can (unless you can read the language), but I really, really, really don't recommend it...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 11:51 am
Hey, patiodog, do you know about the Good Coffee Co.? They roast right there, the price is right, and a father and son run the place. No frills and no lattes. It's practically under the Viaduct, at 818 Post. Ave. They sell tea, too, and coffee eqpt.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 12:04 pm
D'art - very cool; I'll have to drop in some time. I've walked by it a lot, but never bothered to really look. Kind of feel bound to the roaster now, though. I'll never quite escape the DIY ethic I was brought up with -- which means my cars will never run right, and I'll forever be drinking rasty beer and eating over-brined smoked fish!
0 Replies