Always on unless main in switched

tpan58

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 11:23 am
I have lights and outlets in my house that will not shut off with any one circuit breaker but they will turn off with the main breaker. How is this possible? If they shut off with the main, then they must be tied into the panel somehow yet I flip each circuit individually and they do not shut off unless I switch the main.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,511 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:24 pm
@tpan58,
Yes, no, Tpan, that doesn't sound right
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:30 pm
@tpan58,
tpan58 wrote:

I have lights and outlets in my house that will not shut off with any one circuit breaker but they will turn off with the main breaker. How is this possible? If they shut off with the main, then they must be tied into the panel somehow yet I flip each circuit individually and they do not shut off unless I switch the main.

Unless they are attached to the incoming hot wire to the breaker box (I guess that can be done, although I have never seen it)...it is impossible.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
One other thought just occurred to me: They could somehow be wired twice...with hot coming from two different breakers. If you could trip two breakers at a time...going through all the permutations available...you could find out.

How many breakers in the box?
engineer

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm with Frank but I'd take a different approach. Turn off all the house breakers but leave the main on. Turn each one on to see if you get power to the outlets (then turn them off before going to the next one). I'll bet you find that the breakers are either shorted together or you've cross connected a load across them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 04:23 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I'm with Frank but I'd take a different approach. Turn off all the house breakers but leave the main on. Turn each one on to see if you get power to the outlets (then turn them off before going to the next one). I'll bet you find that the breakers are either shorted together or you've cross connected a load across them.

Right on, Engineer. Much better way to do it.

Damn, I wish I had thought of it.

Anyway, I'd love to be there doing the investigating. Always a great feeling of "AHA" when the mystery is solved.

0 Replies