The A2K World Cup 2014 Striker Fantasy Game

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:11 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I think you do your countrymen down, Walt.

They are one of the best teams I've seen in many a long year.

One question about your anthem though.....who is Alice?
Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:23 am
@Lordyaswas,
I hear 'ya! However, from this man's viewpoint it was dull as dishwater...and yes...quite anti-climactic. That being said, as objective as I can be as sports fan, I truly look fwd to this final match. Both teams are worthy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:28 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

One question about your anthem though.....who is Alice?
Perhaps the Missus who was previously always missing the next match?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 09:40 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
.....who is Alice?

Alice lives in the church nearby the restaurant, in the bell tower, with her husband Ray, and Facha the dog.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:05 am
@Ragman,
This soccer fan found that game a bore, unlike, for example, Netherlands - Costa Rica, which was the best quarterfinal, and also a 0-0.

When you are able to distinguish a good 0-0 match from a bad one, you have reached the football watcher's maturity.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:20 am
I think it is interesting to point out that only African teams have been able to put Germany in trouble: Ghana and Algeria. France and the US were never dangerous, while Portugal and Brazil were utterly and beautifully destroyed.

Germany should win the final, as it has been the best team in the tournament, by far. But it won't be a stroll in the park. Argentina does not have the defensive weaknesses of Portugal and Brazil, who became naked kings as the Manschafft showed the world that their fancy clothes were imaginary.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:21 am
@Ticomaya,
Anthem music by German composer Arlo Gunthrier.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:52 am
@fbaezer,
I'm just a Bozo on this bus!

However, all kidding aside, I spent time during this match and watched closely how the defenses set up against the offenses and tried to make sense of it all. In other words, I tried to see the beauty of the game. It becomes a lot easier to see when you see more disciplined teams play each other at this stage of the WC.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 10:55 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

He certainly looks like football fan Bergoglio.

And with a Spanish pronunciation, not Italian!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:52 am
@Ragman,
With that effort you are already way ahead of millions who have watched football for years, inertially, and still don't grasp the truths of the game.
And I mean tens of millions.
Ragman

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 08:48 am
@fbaezer,
Many people, regardless of the sport (or the country), who watch sports competitions or matches might not be true sports fans. They are spectators who are basically following an event. A far smaller minority actually care about the sport and follow and make an effort to understand the strategy and dynamics of the sport.

I'm glad that when I watched Germany and Netherlands I got a hint of what goes on in a 'serious' WC game that meant a lot to the players, as well as the soccer fans.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 02:10 pm
Gee, I was just putting some laundry in the clotheswasher and came back and already Holland is ahead. Oy vey.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 02:21 pm
2 - 0, after a Luiz cock up in defence.

PSG Owner and Manager desperately searching for the David Luiz receipt, so they can claim a refund......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsDOZSFCYAA6R5P.jpg:large
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 02:32 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I'm sorry I mentioned several pages back that I thought Luiz was sort of cute - a perfect window in to my lack of football savvy.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 05:59 pm
Phase 3 standings:

1. Pantalones 10
2. McGentrix 8
2. Lordyaswas 8
4. fbaezer 5
4. Timur 5
6. ossobuco 4
7. hingehead 4
7. George 4
9. Ticomaya 3
9. eurocelticyankee 3
11. lmur 2

General standings

1. fbaezer 61
2. eurocelticyankee 50
3. McGentrix 49
4. Pantalones 46
5. Lordyasawas 46
6. hingehead 44
7. Ticomaya 39
8. ossobuco 37
9. lmur 33
10. timur 24
11. George 20
fbaezer

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 06:05 pm
Phase 3 is for anyone to take (though I must say lmur needs a very special effort by Zavaleta and Boateng), except for Tico, who hasn't got a mathematical change.

As for the General Standings, I honestly think the fight for second place is tough and only a miracle can prevent me from winning this game for the very first time.
Something like 6 goals by Mascherano or 5 by Mascherano and 2 by Messi.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 06:28 pm
Oh man, I should have played along..... Smile

....but I will be rooting for my fellow countryman and I hope Germany
will win!

German Shepherd eating Argentinian beef!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 06:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hi, Jane! I'm for Germany too, they fully deserve it in my still-learning opinion. (I still like Messi, of course).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2014 09:59 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
General standings

1. fbaezer 61
2. eurocelticyankee 50
3. McGentrix 49
4. Pantalones 46
5. Lordyasawas 46
6. hingehead 44
7. Ticomaya 39
8. ossobuco 37
9. lmur 33
10. timur 24
11. George 20

I think I'm going to finish better this year than last year.

Woo hoo!
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2014 03:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
To be fair to Luiz, he was the one Brazilian player who worked the goalkeeper last night. I counted at least ten shots from him that forced the goalie into action. The more churlish and ignorant among you might have mistaken most of these 80-yard efforts as pathetic attempts to split the defence but those of us with real football savvy know better!