back injury

rkm4

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:33 pm
I was in a car accident and I've had back pain now for about 2 years. I've been to doctors and they've tried several different things but nothing seems to help. I was wondering if anyone knows if a pinched nerve in my spine will ever correct itself or am I going to have to live with this the rest of my life? Pain medication helps to a certain amount but I don't like taking it so much because I don't want to become dependant on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,252 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:43 pm
@rkm4,
Have you tried acupuncture?
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:26 pm
@rkm4,
Back injuries are really really tricky.

The classic characteristic of a pinched nerve is the pain that irradiates or travels threw the affected nerveĀ“s common anathomical pathway. The classic example is the ciatic nerve compression. A pain that starts on the buttocks and runs down threw the posterior surface of the thigh and can end on the leg or even on the feet.

There are studies that can confirm the prescence of a lesion to a nerve. I recommend you to seek help with a doctor specialized on physical theraphy and rehabilitation.

Must of the time the intial injury, a fall or a car accident, just detonate a vicious circle of pain-bad posture-pain which is the real cause for a long standing back pain illness.

Yoga, relaxation therapies and core muscles training can help alot.

Theres no need to suffer a pain forever.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:41 pm
And remember THE INTERNET IS OUR BEST FRIEND for researching all sorts of illnesses and ailments, and we end up knowing more about them than the quacks, and can keep tabs on whether they're diagnosing and prescribing us correctly.
Especially helpful are assorted net discussion groups where people with the same medical problem can compare notes and discuss their experiences among themselves, like what treatment they were given and so on.
Google "back pain" and see what comes up..Smile
luismtzzz

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:48 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Hope you are being sarcastic.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:06 pm
@rkm4,
My mother has severe arthritis throughout most of her body. This year she has had a lot of back, neck and shoulder pain. An MRI was done and noted that the arthritic deformation of her spine has gotten so bad in the neck and lumbar areas that it is pinching the spinal nerve in both places. She has already had several injections in her lower spine that have relieved the pain there. Next week they are doing the cervical joints in the neck. If that doesn't relieve the pain, they will inject directly into the nerve.

She is 85 years young, has had osteoarthritis since her 20s, and has gotten by with various injections into her non-artificial joints her whole life. For some people they don't work at all and surgery is needed. For others, they relieve pain and extend mobility.

You might be a good candidate for spinal injections. If you haven't done so, investigate it with your doctor.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
That said, I can tell you from personal experience that physical therapy and exercises will help a great deal. Last December I slipped on some ice on our driveway and landed flat on my back. Resulted in three fractured vertebrae, some ruptured disks, and a dislocated pelvis. The pain was agonizing.

With a lot of pain meds, a back brace, and some intense physical therapy the first three months, I am mostly pain free as long as I pay attention to the warning signs and don't push past them without resting. Swimming helped a lot. The buoyancy helped me slowly recover and I didn't have to worry about falling and reinjuring myself while doing the exercises. I am swimming laps again and am much stronger in the water now than before the fall. I still have a way to go when out of the water, but when in the water, it gives me a real sense of freedom and confidence in my strength. I haven't needed pain meds for a couple of months now.

Don't neglect the physical therapy and continuous exercise!
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
Swimming sounds like good therapy, because it's light resistance depending on how slow or fast you move in the water.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is indeed. I use both hand and feet fins to add to the resistance.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 04:09 am
Quote:
Luis said to me: Hope you are being sarcastic.

Not at all muchacho, some doctors are okay but many know jack and there isn't a family in the land who hasn't been touched by medical incompetence at least once, I could tell you stories..Wink
Here in Britain medical treatment is totally free, so this makes our doctors take a sloppy "couldn't care less" approach on the grounds that "you're getting it free so what are you complaining about?"
0 Replies

hayst33

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:27 pm
@rkm4,
Try visit a chiropractor, they can assist you with back injury or pain.
0 Replies