Painting ID

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:20 pm
My grandfather just gave this to me to look into. He claims he got it appraised years ago and was told it was worth a few thousand. He thinks it's a painting. I'm not convinced that it is. It's either a painting with some sort of varnish to make the surface smooth or a print of some form. It has a lot of cracking on it that makes it look not much like a painting.
However, either way I'd like to know who the original artist of this image is. It isn't signed, but the dog's collar says PDH. The only artist with those initials I've found is Pietre de Hooch, but I can't find this painting associated with him.
Anyone recognize it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,872 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 07:10 pm
@geogeo65,
geogeo, we need to see a photo. Do you have one to put on your computer and then post on a site like photobucket or similar so that you can then transfer it here? That will give it a photo type url ending in jpeg.
0 Replies

geogeo65

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:07 am
@geogeo65,
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj533/georgeanneoliver/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabaeac02.jpg

Thanks, I wasn't sure what to use for a photo. I don't know if this will work; I just made a photobucket.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:24 am
@geogeo65,
That's a painting I don't recognize, like it.. will nose around.

On photobucket, there's some way to turn that around, probably under edit (I haven't used the site in a while now). Then it may turn out too big, stretching the page (there will be a blue band across the bottom of your post, to see the whole thing) and I also can't remember it you can resize it there at photobucket. But try that, and I or someone else can show you how to get that done from here. Basically, you don't want a width of more than 900 - usually I resize my stuff to 900 width 6oo height but the height is not the problem re sizing.

Well, here -
at the point where you have (I'm skipping spaces by using dashes)
[img]----------------[/img]

you make the first one [img width=900 height=600]

So, when you get the photo right side up and add it, before you push reply do the sizing fix..
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:29 am
English oil on panel - 1820's - 1830's. Unattributed. Bidding opens at $1,500.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Are you teasing or do you have a source for that?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:35 am
@geogeo65,
There are currently 84 paintings attributed to Pieter de Hooch, see >most here<

His signature ...

http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsa90cf3f3.jpghttp://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zpse1690f8b.jpg

On your painting
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/c_zpse1ad087a.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:43 am
@ossobuco,
I'll stand by it. I think Walter's barking up a wrong tree. His dating is way too early. I'd like to see the back with and without a dust cover. But I am confident.
geogeo65

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 08:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
How do I show you that? One of the issues is it isn't in it's original framing and the back isn't exposed.

Walter-Those initials do seem similar. What can you tell me about his works?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 09:05 am
@geogeo65,
geogeo65 wrote:
Those initials do seem similar.
Indeed.

geogeo65 wrote:
What can you tell me about his works?

It might well be that I've seen some of originals - but most certainly only, when passing the room they were in: I'm not very much interested in art from the (Dutch) "Delft School".
From britannica:
Quote:
Pieter de Hooch, Hooch also spelled Hoogh or Hooghe (baptized Dec. 20, 1629, Rotterdam, Neth.—buried March 24, 1684, Amsterdam), Dutch genre painter of the Delft school, noted for his interior scenes and masterful use of light.

De Hooch was a pupil of Claes Berchem at Haarlem. From 1653 he was in the service of Justus de Grange and lived in Delft, The Hague, and Leiden. He was a member of the painters’ guild of Delft from 1654 to 1657, but after that date there are no traces of his career until about 1667, when his presence was recorded in Amsterdam.

His work, both in style and subject matter, shows some affinity with that of Johannes Vermeer, who was living in Delft at the same time. His paintings, like Vermeer’s, are small works that display perfect finish and a great power of compositional discrimination. Though he sometimes painted open-air scenes—e.g., A Woman and Her Maid in a Court (1658)—and tavern genres—e.g., Backgammon Players (c. 1653)—he more typically painted two or three figures occupied with humble daily duties in a sober interior, the still atmosphere of which is broken only by the radiant entry of outdoor light illuminating the scene—e.g., The Pantry (c. 1658), A Mother Beside a Cradle (c. 1659–60), and At the Linen Closet (1663). These depictions of the serene simplicity of Dutch domestic life are free of sentimentality. Largely done between about 1655 and 1663 while de Hooch was living in Delft, they are considered his best works. In them he was preoccupied with the relation of light to different surfaces, the effect of enclosures and apertures on light intensity, the variation of tone, the complex arrangement of spatial units, and linear perspective.

Some more infos at the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 06:59 pm
@geogeo65,
I'm interested in the stretcher and any notes and tags.
0 Replies