All atheists and theists are agnostics?

BL0CPARTY

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 05:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you do not want to assume the burden...do not make the assertion.

If you make the assertion...the burden of proof falls on you.

So it seems I can't assert that terrestrial teapots orbiting Jupiter don't exist without having the burden of proof on me having to reason as to why it is the case. Kinda silly don't you think?

I'll respond to the rest after you've given me your definition of 'atheist', which I have asked for but you have failed to provide.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:25 pm
@BL0CPARTY,
BL0CPARTY wrote:

Quote:
If you do not want to assume the burden...do not make the assertion.

If you make the assertion...the burden of proof falls on you.

So it seems I can't assert that terrestrial teapots orbiting Jupiter don't exist without having the burden of proof on me having to reason as to why it is the case. Kinda silly don't you think?

I do not think it silly at all. Anyone thinking it though clearly should not think it silly. What would be silly is to make an assertion about what you cannot prove.

Anyone making an assertion assumes a burden of proof. If you do not want to have the onus fall upon you...don't make the assertion.

If you choose to make the assertion, however...YES, the burden of proof does fall on you to prove the assertion.

Quote:

I'll respond to the rest after you've given me your definition of 'atheist', which I have asked for but you have failed to provide.

I will stick with: All atheists lack a belief in gods; but not all people who lack a belief in gods are atheists.

If you were to consult an etymological dictionary, however, (which you should have done by now) you would discover that the word "atheist" came into the English language BEFORE theist...and came from the Greek through the French. Its etymology indicates it means: Without a god (or, without gods.)

Either way, it indicates a person who asserts that there are no gods. That is the only way I can think of to be without a god.

BL0CPARTY

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 06:41 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I do not think it silly at all. Anyone thinking it though clearly should not think it silly. What would be silly is to make an assertion about what you cannot prove.

Anyone making an assertion assumes a burden of proof. If you do not want to have the onus fall upon you...don't make the assertion.

If you choose to make the assertion, however...YES, the burden of proof does fall on you to prove the assertion.

Please give me an example of proof that there are no teapots orbiting Jupiter. I'll wait.

Quote:
I will stick with: All atheists lack a belief in gods; but not all people who lack a belief in gods are atheists.

Not a definition.

Quote:
Either way, it indicates a person who asserts that there are no gods. That is the only way I can think of to be without a god.

So, an atheist is one with a positive belief that there are no gods?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 03:00 am
@BL0CPARTY,
BL0CPARTY wrote:

Quote:

Please give me an example of proof that there are no teapots orbiting Jupiter. I'll wait.

Wait for as long as you want. I have never asserted there "are teapots" or "are no teapots" orbiting Jupiter.

You have.

Any "proof" of that assertion falls on you.

Quote:
Quote:

Not a definition.

Tough!

Quote:
Quote:

Read what I wrote...and what I wrote is what I am saying.

If you dispute what I said about the etymology of the word "atheist"...tell me what you dispute and we can discuss it.

BL0CPARTY

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 03:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Wait for as long as you want. I have never asserted there "are teapots" or "are no teapots" orbiting Jupiter.

You have.

I never said you asserted there aren't teapots orbiting Jupiter. I asked: what's an example of proof that would satisfy you. Since you didn't answer that, I'm left to assume that you believe there's no proof that would satisfy you. Which seems rather silly.

Quote:

If you dispute what I said about the etymology of the word "atheist"...tell me what you dispute and we can discuss it.

How about you read what I said. I never said I dispute your 'etymology' of the word. I asked an additional question so I can be sure what you mean. I shall ask again:

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 03:44 am
@BL0CPARTY,
BL0CPARTY wrote:

Quote:

You have.

I never said you asserted there aren't teapots orbiting Jupiter. I asked: what's an example of proof that would satisfy you. Since you didn't answer that, I'm left to assume that you believe there's no proof that would satisfy you. Which seems rather silly.

You have asserted there are no teapots orbiting Jupiter, Bloc.

http://able2know.org/topic/246198-2#post-5679872

Stop digging, you are deep enough.

Quote:
Quote:

How about you read what I said. I never said I dispute your 'etymology' of the word. I asked an additional question so I can be sure what you mean. I shall ask again:

MANY, MANY atheists are people with a positive "belief" that there are no gods.

My guess is that ALL atheists are people with a positive "belief" that there are no gods...but on the Internet, most atheists want to pretend they have no such "belief"...because they want to be known as non-believers.

If you are asking, however, if every atheist MUST EXPRESS A BELIEF that there are no gods in order to be an atheist...

...my answer would be "NO."

There are strong atheists (people who assert or who "believe" there are no gods)...and weak atheists (people who claim that just having no positive "belief" in gods is enough to establish atheism).

If the latter are correct...then anyone without a positive "belief" in gods ARE atheists whether they want to be or not...including all babies and toddlers.

BOTTOM LINE: Anyone can pretend they do not have a "belief" that there are no gods...and still call themselves atheists. In fact, they can actually have a "belief" that there is a GOD...and still call themselves atheists.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 11:57 pm
@BL0CPARTY,
Quote:
All atheists and theists are agnostics?

I put it to you that the substantive philosophical issue here is an ontological one which revolves around contextually differential usages of the verb "to be". One linguistic attempt at solution is proscription of use of that verb.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime
Irrespective of this synthetic approach, note that other natural languages have different verbs for "to be" (Ser and Estar in Spanish for example)
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:46 pm
@BL0CPARTY,
BL0CPARTY wrote:

A certain someone in my philosophy thread gave an incredibly incoherent account against fallibilism (the position I was arguing for). Out of curiosity and potential amusement I decided to give his profile a look. I quote:

Quote:
I believe, if you will excuse that seemingly incongruous expression, that everyone is an agnostic. It's just that we agnostics come in two categories--those who acknowledge that we don't know the answers to unanswerable questions; and those who pretend to know. That latter category includes the theists and the atheists (two sides of one coin)--both of whom suppose they know the answers to those unanswerable questions.

This entire argument hinges on the fact that atheists and theists 'suppose they know the answer to those unanswerable questions.' This is clearly wrong. Atheism and theism is based on belief not knowledge. The basis for my athiesm runs:

An athiest is a person who disbelieves of lacks a belief in god
I am a person who lacks a belief in god
Therefore I am an athiest

Fairly simple and straightforward, yeah? And, unlike his argument, I actually use the real definition of 'atheist'. So what do you guys this? Are all theists and atheists, well, not theists and atheists?

Actually it is true. Everyone is agnostic, regardless if you are a theist or atheist because NO ONE has knowledge that a god exists. The student was right but gave the incorrect reasoning. I have corrected it. If a person DOES have knowledge that a god exists they would a gnostic theist. So far I have never met any one who is gnostic.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:49 pm
I love the way people think they can speak for atheists. But, if you are not one, you only suppose you can.
Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:54 pm
People are more comfortable if they can put others in little, labeled boxes.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 12:56 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
that everyone is an agnostic.

My favorite aunt, a Colonel in the Salvation Army, knew that her saviour liveth.

know

verb

1 [with clause] Be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information
1.1 [with object] Have knowledge or information concerning
1.2 Be absolutely certain or sure about something

2 [with object] Have developed a relationship with (someone) through meeting and spending time with them; be familiar or friendly with:
2.1 Have a good command of (a subject or language).
2.2 Recognize (someone or something)
2.3 Be familiar or acquainted with (something)
2.4 Have personal experience of (an emotion or situation): a man who had known better times
2.5 Regard or perceive as having a specified characteristic
2.6 Give (someone or something) a particular name or title
2.7 Be able to distinguish one person or thing from (another)

3 [with object] archaic Have sexual intercourse with (someone).

Krumple

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:14 pm
@contrex,
wishful wanting is not knowledge.
contrex

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:15 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

It is a legitimate use of the word 'know'.
Krumple

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:20 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Krumple wrote:

If that is the case then every theist who has ever lived had knowledge that a god existed. As much as you want that to be true it is still NOT knowledge. Nice try and admire your persistence but sorry, it isn't knowledge.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Krumple wrote:

It is not a logical use of the word "know." And it is not a logical use of the word "certain" either.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:41 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

contrex wrote:

Krumple wrote:

If that is the case then every theist who has ever lived had knowledge that a god existed. As much as you want that to be true it is still NOT knowledge. Nice try and admire your persistence but sorry, it isn't knowledge.

And...every strong atheists who claims knowledge that no gods exist...also had "knowledge" that no gods exist.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I love the way people think they can speak for atheists. But, if you are not one, you only suppose you can.

Yeah...but I have had atheists insist that I am an atheist because I do not have beliefs in any gods...and that all babies and toddlers are atheists also, because they do not.

Atheists apparently can do that in your estimation, Edgar...but anyone else shouldn't.

Yeah, sure!
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 12:17 am
The point that seems to escape most respondents is that attitudes to the term "existence" is the issue, not to "deities"per se . Santa Clause exists for children because it has social and personal functionality within their experience as do "gods" for believers. I am "an atheist" because the concept "God" has no personal functionality for me, though it has social functionality for me with respect to my dealings with believers. On this relational view of "existence", rather than one of "naive realism", I cannot deny that God exists for believers...its a tautology...irrespective of whether the concept "God" has "existence" for me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 02:59 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The point that seems to escape most respondents is that attitudes to the term "existence" is the issue, not to "deities"per se . Santa Clause exists for children because it has social and personal functionality within their experience as do "gods" for believers. I am "an atheist" because the concept "God" has no personal functionality for me, though it has social functionality for me with respect to my dealings with believers. On this relational view of "existence", rather than one of "naive realism", I cannot deny that God exists for believers...its a tautology...irrespective of whether the concept "God" has "existence" for me.

How can anyone supposedly as intelligent as you...write such nonsense.

There is a REALITY. Whatever happens to be...IS.

Our words may be inadequate to explain that concept (or at least you want to suggest they are)...but the bottom line is that whatever IS...IS.

If there are no gods...then there are no gods despite the need some people have to say there are.

If there are gods...then there are gods despite the need some people have to say there are not.

There MAY BE a relativity issue involved...and if there is, then that is WHAT IS.

I suggest that neither of us knows if there are or not. I suggest further that you do not know what your are trying to sell here about the relativity of the issue. And I suggest that you are merely guessing...and presenting your guesses as fact.

But as usual you use a lot of pretty words to say what amounts to nothing.

You simply cannot acknowledge the (at least possible) difference between what IS...and human ability to know what IS; comprehend what IS; and describe what IS.

fresco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:24 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry. I can't get down your level of thinking. Play "last word-ism", "bottom line-ism", "is-ism" and "guess-ism", to your heart's content but don't expect your repetitive preaching to be taken seriously.