Terminating parental rights

Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 11:56 am
I have an 11 month old daughter and I need advice on what to do concerning the birth father. First: my fiancee is not the birth father but we have been living together for over a year and he has helped me raise my daughter. Treats her like she is his. and we are getting married. 2: the birth father is very flighty. he ignored any attempts at contact with him while I was pregnant and saw his daughter one time at the hosptial to sign the birth certificate and then I didnt hear from him again until 2 months later. He will go months without seeing his daughter and during that time ignores all of my calls and texts. This past time he is ignoring all of my calls and texts and threatened to call the cops when i went over to his house to talk to him so I had to leave. I want him to terminate his parental rights but he refuses to do so. Is there anything I can do? I live in Norfolk Virginia and am 20 years old.
Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 12:00 pm
. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.

So get a lawyer or get some advice from below:
What does Virginia Legal Aid Society do?

Virginia Legal Aid Society (VLAS) is a nonprofit law firm established in 1977 to provide free civil legal services to eligible low-income residents in twenty counties and six cities in Central, Southside, and Western Tidewater Virginia. VLAS serves the entire community by providing free information, advice and representation in such areas as housing, healthcare, income and benefits, family issues, consumer, and education.

0 Replies
Reply Fri 30 May, 2014 01:06 pm
tsarstephen is right -- you'll need a lawyer no matter what.

Is your fiancee fully prepared to legally adopt your child? You'll have to do the homestudy, and all of the other legalities of adoption. You'd probably have to have all that in place before the state will consider terminating the biological father's rights.

Is the bio-dad paying child support? If he is you'll probably have a hard time terminating his rights.

Most attorneys will offer a free consultation. Look for an adoption attorney that has some experience with de facto parenting (although a quick google search shows that Virginia doesn't recognize this provision (at least as late as 2008 (things might have changed since then)))
0 Replies

Related Topics

  1. Forums
  2. » Terminating parental rights
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 01/23/2022 at 04:21:11