Cleaning inside a vent...?

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 06:59 pm
My toilet, that had basically clean water in it, overflowed... and some of the water got in the vent. Its not an absolutely horrible smell, and I've cleaned it out as much as I can... but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to really clean out an air conditioning vent.

Please help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,711 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:31 pm
Not a clue but I will be listening. All of the vents in my apartment are painted shut with dust included. I really want to clean them but do not know how either.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:16 pm
Easy answer: fabreze. Just spray away into that vent.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:35 am
Fabreze, eh? I'll try that Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:06 am
How will Fabreze help SCoastes?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:46 pm
I thought L.R.R just needed to clean up the smell.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:28 pm
Not sure what kind of vent you mean, but I had to clean my air conditioner the other day and I had half a bottle of Windolene. I filled the remainder of the bottle with tap-water and sprayed the slats and through to the innards (a/c was unplugged!!!) The continuous spray action moved the dirt right off the surfaces even those thin thin slats I couldn't quite get at with my fingers. I then used an old (clean) eyeshadow brush to wipe the areas I could see and then let it dry (couple of hours), plugged a/c back in and ran it for an evening and was pleased to find not only did it work better but there was a fresh clean scent emanating throughout the room.

If this is a vent like in your wall or floor, you might want to get one of those dusters that squeeze through slats like the static duster http://www.magent.com/wpeB.gif which I've used to clean radiators etc. I've sprayed furniture polish on this duster and swiped it over ornaments and bookshelves and it does a great job.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:55 pm
Oh maybe so SC.

Heeven where have you been. We have not seen you around very much lately.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:10 pm
I've been busy with work. I have a real job now where I actually do work all day (and later) and haven't had much time for the net.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:18 pm
This is a vent in the floor. The entire metal vent cover lifts up, so there is a rectangular hole in the floor that goes down into the circular silver looking duct work.

I'll try getting something to reach in there. I got as much as I could with a spraybottle full of bleach and water, my arm (yuck) and some clorox wipes. The smell is almost gone, but I hate knowing that its firty in there...

You would think that there would be some system for cleaning something that blows air through people's homes, lol.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:43 pm
L.R.R.Hood, I would suggest you find someone with a chemistry degree to help you with your problem.

They normally charge around 500.00 per hour for their services, but they know what they're doing.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:07 am
You stinker! I guess what you are saying is I should know how to fix this??? Smile
0 Replies