Wilso

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 10:14 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

=
Quote:
I dated men who were 9 inches tall and even shorter

Ah, you dated those rare pocket-sized men. Laughing Aren't they adorable? Laughing

That was a funny typo, M-I-T, it gave me a good laugh. Smile

Could it have been a Freudian slip? Maybe the 9" was somewhere else? (lucky bastards)
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:08 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You and I are different in that I call myself a feminist. I take it by recent talk I am a long time softie.

Your takes reflect mine, maybe harder, but you get to not be a feminist, as that is a freak female word, some promulgated man hating shrews club.

Please. Get over fear of the word feminist.

I understand you perfectly, osso. And whether to call myself a feminist is an issue I've considered and wrestled with. It's a term I think would be both accurate and inaccurate in referring to me, depending on one's conception of a "feminist".

"Feminist", as used by some people, including several in this thread, has become synonymous with some sort of man-hating shrew. It's become an insult, a put-down, a dirty word to call someone--a female someone. "Feminists" are members of a suspect group--a subversive group--to several posters here.

It's not unlike the way people use the word "Liberal" to disparage someone, and I'm not sure I'd call myself "a liberal" although I've been called that in political threads at A2K. It's not that I'm not liberal in my thinking, it's just that I think of myself as a Democrat, and that's far more accurate in terms of my political/social leanings--not all Democrats are equally liberal, but I unfailingly find myself in agreement with the Democratic party platform issues and positions, and rather unfailingly vote Democratic, and that's been true all of my adult life. So, when someone else calls me a "liberal", I consider it a term revealing their bias, but not particularly accurate about my own.

I don't know if you saw my earlier post in this thread
http://able2know.org/topic/245743-33#post-5679756

You and I are pretty much of the same vintage. People like Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem were pretty much the first, and last, feminists to influence my thinking in a significant way. I surfed on that particular second wave of feminism. For me, it was all about advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men--about equal societal opportunity for women--both back then and now. Except, by now, we've conquered many of those obstacles--which were essentially civil rights battles--and firm gender roles have blurred, giving women much greater opportunities. We still face issues of concern to women, that do require advocacy, but my personal concerns now are more humanistic, and I do identify myself as a humanist.

Feminism, in my mind, has always been roughly divided into philosophical/academic feminists, who mostly write and lecture on gender issues, and social/activist feminists who are the organizers and grassroots political activists, and who feel they are part of a movement actively working to bring about change.

I have rarely paid any attention to philosophical/academic feminists --I've always found them rather boring, if I read them at all--and I've never thought they had much real-life impact on any social/political/economic changes or thinking--they may make for controversial discussion, with their provocative ideas, but not much else. Yet that group, particularly the most radical among them, seems to be most quoted as representative of "feminism", particularly by people who want to attack feminism and who want to use "feminists" as a scapegoat for the evils of modern man.

I haven't got the foggiest idea of the names of the best known people in that academic/philosophical feminist group, nor do I know what they are saying or writing these days, nor do I care. Feminism is now divided into so many philosophical camps, and such diversity of views and interests, none of them could truly be said to represent feminism as a whole--so to call someone a "feminist" or for someone to describe themselves as a "feminist" these days is next to meaningless without a great deal of clarification, and documentation, for why the term is appropriate, and which camp of feminism they represent. Feminism is now very much a conglomerate--not a unified group--and they're not all heading in the same direction. And I really don't feel like I'm part of that conglomerate, or that I participate in it in any way.

I still retain some interest in social activism for women, but not to the extent that I join groups, go to meetings, or send money to N.O.W. I do perk up my ears on issues of importance to women, issues involving unfair or discriminatory treatment of women, issues involving reproductive rights, issues involving women's health and welfare, issues involving women as caretakers, etc. And I'm very happy when I see women in positions of power and influence, like Sen. Claire McCaskill, or Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, focusing national and congressional attention on issues important to women, such as sexual assaults on college campuses and in the military, and I think people like that are the most influential activists for women. I'm also glad that groups like NOW have been in full support of LGBT rights--because it shows that their concerns aren't just for women, and also because the men's rights groups generally fail to include gay or bi-sexual men in their agenda.

As I said in my earlier post, I linked to above, I've never viewed feminism in terms of a gender battle, I've always seen it as a reactionary vs progressive struggle as woman simply moved forward to take their equal place socially/politically/economically in our society. And to a large extent we have accomplished that--but not entirely, and there are still issues to be addressed. But I think we've made enough strides and gains so that a formal movement--designated as "feminism" may no longer be necessary. And enough like-minded men now share the same goals for female equality and equity that we do, so "feminist" is no longer even a term referring to a woman with a particular point of view.

So, I don't know that I do have fear of the term "feminist", osso. I'm not sure that particular shoe fits me. Maybe it did in the 1960's and 1970's, but I think my feet have grown since then. I'm not sure I even care for today's style of shoes.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 12:43 am
Quote:
UCSB mass shooter Elliott Rodger hadn’t been seen by a psychiatrist since 2012 (though he had been treated by psychologists) but RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively his parents, Hunger Games art director Peter Rodger and ex-wife Chin now recognize their troubled son should have been in intensive treatment for his mental health issues.

Elliott’s 141-page manifesto mentions in 2012 that he had been treated by psychiatrist Dr. Charles Sophy and refused to take medication that was prescribed to him.

RadarOnline.com has learned exclusively that Elliott “only saw Dr. Sophy less than three times, and refused to go back to see him,” adding that his parents “felt powerless” in their ability to make a difference in the situation.

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/05/elliott-rodger-psychiatrist-mental-health-hunger-games/

"OK son, what ever you want" is the pattern. The kid throws a fit and he gets what ever he wants. Just like that Lanza kid.
firefly

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 01:43 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Just like that Lanza kid

There are similarities to Adam Lanza, although Lanza was far more secluded, and controlling of his home environment, and mother, than Elliot Rodger.
Lanza, also seems to have gotten more paranoid as his teenage years went on, doing things like taping black garbage bags over his bedroom windows. And his father feels the signs signaling the possible onset of schizophrenia may have been missed because of his son's pre-existing problems with Asperger's Syndrome. And the same may have been true with Rodger as well, the Asperger's may have made other, more serious, developing problems difficult to detect as he approached adulthood. Both Lanza and Rodger were at the age when the major psychiatric disorders--bi-polar disorder and schizophrenia--first make their onset, when they committed their murders.

And both the families of Lanza and Rodger had a very difficult ordeal trying to deal with their child's problems throughout that child's life.
Quote:
What Did the Families Know?
What Elliot Rodger’s family can learn from the families of Adam Lanza, Kip Kinkel, and other rampage killers.
By Katherine Newman
May 27, 2014

The mounting flowers and candles in Isla Vista mark the mourning of six university students killed in the mass shooting at the University of California–Santa Barbara, and sympathy for the other 13 who were injured. Families who have lost innocent loved ones will never be the same, and neither will Isla Vista. Some of those who witnessed the horror will shake every time they hear a car backfire; the lucky ones who escaped as the bullets flew may wonder why they were saved.

For the parents of Elliot Rodger, a lifelong process of self-scrutiny will also have begun, even though they clearly made efforts to help their son and warn authorities.

In the two years that my research team spent scouring the history of rampage school shootings across the United States, we interviewed the parents and siblings of several juvenile shooters and sought to find those who elected to hide from public view rather than live with the shame that surrounded them. Since then there have been many more killings of this kind, and the story of the families who loved sons who turned out to be killers is a tragedy of its own kind.

The events that took most parents into the abyss were as mysterious to them as they were to the communities who didn’t see the mounting evidence that something terrible was about to happen. Teenager Michael Carneal, who killed three high school students in a morning prayer group at his high school in West Paducah, Kentucky, in 1997, was known as a joker and a prankster, but no one thought he was dangerous. Until the eighth grade he had also been a very good student. He had friends whose houses he visited, and his parents were known as pillars of the community.

Mitchell Johnson, who was half of a duo who shot up his middle school, killing four students and one teacher a year later, was known to all as the most polite kid in his grade. Two months before the shooting that put Westside, Arkansas, on the map, his mother received an unsolicited card extolling Johnson’s virtues from a teacher who told his mom she should be proud of her son. Johnson was already seven months into plotting his killing spree.

Young men who know they are spiraling into murderous madness can be very good at concealing the depths of their descent. In Rodger’s case he had been planning his “Day of Retribution” for at least a year. They know all too well that they are disturbed, but they are embarrassed about their failures—often involving the opposite sex, but just as frequently focused on rejection by their male peers—and the last thing they want is to be publicly defined as damaged. So they “code switch,” behaving normally and congenially with parents, other adults, authority figures in school, while showing the other side to their peers who, we found, were generally not surprised by the identity of the shooter. They know who did it long before the police arrive.

There are examples of the opposite, though: boys ready to kill whose unraveling is on the radar screens of their parents, teachers, and mental health professionals. This was the case with Rodger, as it was for Seung-Hui Cho, the shooter at Virginia Tech, and long before them, Kip Kinkel, who killed his parents and then shot up his high school in Springfield, Oregon, in 1998.

Kinkel was one day ahead of involuntary commitment, a notoriously difficult procedure to execute given American legal procedures designed to protect citizens from the arbitrary exercise of state power. Kinkel’s parents tried every conceivable form of treatment. His school expelled him. He was seen by psychologists. Authorities knew he was a danger, at least to himself. But our capacity to take someone in who has actually done nothing wrong other than frighten people is limited.

How, then, do parents contend with their own grief, the loss of their son, while coming to terms with who he really was and what he did to the innocent? The answer is that they never do. They are not allowed to by a public that looks for someone to blame. They are expected to express contrition, to open their most private experience to scrutiny, and they do so willingly in the hope that this will somehow make amends for what they didn’t prevent from happening.

These questions are searing enough for the parents of high school shooters. They are undoubtedly worse for the Rodger family, for questions will be raised about why they didn’t keep a tighter leash on a young man with such a long history of emotional problems and psychiatric treatment. But it is precisely his age that made such surveillance problematic. No doubt they were trying to let their 22-year-old learn how to function in adult society, and that requires some degree of autonomy. The same was true for the Virginia Tech shooter.

Trying to find a way to let someone grow up is a struggle for these families. They will be second-guessed about how they made these judgments for the rest of their lives. And they will have to live with the knowledge that someone they loved wreaked the same sorrow that they are experiencing on families who have lost their children.

If Adam Lanza’s mother had survived, she would have felt the same pain: a toxic combination of grief and ostracism. To this day she is not counted among the innocent dead in Newtown, Connecticut, because she is not regarded as an innocent, but rather a kind of accomplice for having permitted her disturbed son access to guns. That she too died at his hands seems not to encourage any sympathy in the direction of her family.

The police too will come to feel the pressure of public opprobrium. They will be asked and will ask themselves why they didn’t search Rodger’s apartment, why they accepted his surface conduct when those who knew him well were ringing the alarm bells. Rodger had three contacts with the police. And the rest of us should ask why someone with such a long history of emotional imbalance could get his hands on lethal weapons, why we missed the signals he was sending of his torment and fantasies of revenge, including on YouTube.

The circle of people who come in for scrutiny and deserve sympathy widens at first but then contracts over time, and no small amount of friction emerges in the wake of such a devastating loss.

Richard Martinez, the father of Christopher Martinez, who died in the Isla Vista attack, is to be applauded for reaching out to Rodger’s father. “He lost his son. I lost my son—we have that in common,” he said.

Two years after the shootings we studied, the pain was still fresh. A figure like Richard Martinez is rare. It will take a strong community to work together to confront the wider problems—beyond personal blame—that lead to such killings.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/05/elliot_rodger_s_family_the_tragedy_of_raising_adam_lanza_seung_hui_cho_and.html

The way Mr Martinez has reached out to Mr Rodger, while his own grief over the death of his son, is still so raw and fresh, was an incredibly compassionate gesture. From what I have read, the two have already met and spoken together. I hope they are able to help each other in some way.
firefly

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 01:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Did you ever read this interview with Adam Lanza's father? It gives a fairly good picture of what it's like for the parent of a child with the sort of problems both his son and Elliot Rodger had.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/17/140317fa_fact_solomon?currentPage=all
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 02:07 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Did you ever read this interview with Adam Lanza's father? It gives a fairly good picture of what it's like for the parent of a child with the sort of problems both his son and Elliot Rodger had.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/03/17/140317fa_fact_solomon?currentPage=all

You are talking about a guy who had not seen the killer in two years, right? Not seem him because the kid said dad could not come around (were is this info in the piece....oh they deleted it!) , and mom insisted kids wishes be followed and so dad followed orders. He still sent money though, just as Elliots parents kept pushing money at him. Lanza tells mom to buy guns so she buys guns, even had yet another one bought waiting for his birthday or some other day to give it to him. She thought he would like it, even though he almost never left his room, in fact she had to leave food by his door and leave before he would open the door.

Obviously mentally ill kids throw fits and get what they want, almost every time or every time (140 pages, any mention of parents saying no? Stepmom says no, but not quite the same)

GREAT. PARENTS.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 04:52 am
@hawkeye10,
firefly wrote:
Did you ever read this interview with Adam Lanza's father?
It gives a fairly good picture of what it's like for the parent of a child
with the sort of problems both his son and Elliot Rodger had.

hawkeye10 wrote:
You are talking about a guy who had not seen the killer in two years, right?
Not seem him because the kid said dad could not come around
(were is this info in the piece....oh they deleted it!), and mom
insisted kids wishes be followed and so dad followed orders.
Its admirable that someone does not go where he is not wanted.
That shows good character, Hawkeye (but it was not in Elliot's biografy).
I remember a certain young lady ordering ME not to come around;
I 'm proud of the fact that I have over 3O years of compliance in,
despite my love for her. I guess I cud post that in the
"What are you proud of you have never done?" thread.

hawkeye10 wrote:
He still sent money though,
just as Elliots parents kept pushing money at him.
A lot of times, parents want their kids to have sustenance
and possibly even to be HAPPY. I have been pleased
to (un-expectedly) contribute to the joy of my girlfriends' kids
with financial contributions. Its fun. U make it sound bad. Sadist??

hawkeye10 wrote:
Lanza tells mom to buy guns so she buys guns, even had yet another one bought waiting for his birthday or some other day to give it to him. She thought he would like it, even though he almost never left his room, in fact she had to leave food by his door and leave before he would open the door.

Obviously mentally ill kids throw fits and get what they want,
Like mentally normal kids have never done that, right??

hawkeye10 wrote:
almost every time or every time
(140 pages, any mention of parents saying no?)
MANY TIMES! U say that as if denial and frustration are good things.
Did u love being rejected, when u were a kid??
Did u take sadistic glee in refusing to make your kids happy??
Did u yell NO! and maybe kick him in the ass??
Obviously, if the kid is being un-reasonable, then u 've gotta decline,
but its OK to be nice about it.

Incidentally, within the 14O pages, thay said NO to him
a lot of times. I felt sad to read of it. I'm no sadist, Hawkeye.

hawkeye10 wrote:
Stepmom says no, but not quite the same)
Yea; thay reciprocally hated each other.

hawkeye10 wrote:
GREAT. PARENTS.
IF refusal is the applicable criterion of parental quality,
then 1OO% abandonment is the ideal, right??

Whenever I read of problems like this (or like anything)
I 'm THRILLED that I don t have children !
I have never been on anyone 's hit list.

David
Miller

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 04:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
What's surprising is the fact that Elliot didn't murder his father, mother or even step mother. His sole targets ( or so it seems ) were kids his own age and
and of comparable wealth.

nononono

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:02 am
Since the internet is all about uniting victims through hash tags, something I'd like to see is we as a society having a moment of silence for ALL victims of false rape accusations (both men AND women who've been falsely accused.) We can also use the hash tag #falserapeclaimsdestroylives to allow victims to talk about and share their experiences. I think that seems pretty fair to both genders. And it's an issue that's not being addressed in the media.
Miller

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:03 am
@Miller,
Since Elliot was Asian- American, I'd be interested in knowing if other Asian Americans ( in the USA) have engaged in comparable acts of violence.

Have they?
nononono

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:13 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
he lost the fight, there was NO MORE HOPE and that is what he banked on HOPE.

He gave up. That's not a fearful or a fearless person, once your brain switches to I don't care mode, once it switches to if I can't have fame in the real world, I will have it in the dead world, I will be dead, but I will have it..

Again while what he did was wrong and horrible, I think what you're saying FS is the truth. Hopeless people give up. And there are so many more hopeless, frustrated young men like him out there. I hope society becomes a more hopeful place before we see this happen again..
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:15 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
What's surprising is the fact that Elliot didn't murder his father,
mother or even step mother. His sole targets ( or so it seems )
were kids his own age and and of comparable wealth.
His autobiografy shows love for his father (perhaps unique love).
His step-mother (who apparently always dis-liked him, reciprocally)
and her son (maybe 6 years old??) were on his hit list,
but he abandoned the list.

Notably, Elliot showed love for his little half-brother,
but he SUBORDINATES that love to his ego,
in his decision to actively prevent that brother
from surpassing him in terms of social success and comfort; envy.

May I say that I 'm pleased to see that u r posting more ofen, Dr. Miller.
U cheer the place up.

David
0 Replies

nononono

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:15 am
@Miller,
I think the Virginia Tech killer was...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:22 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:
Since Elliot was Asian- American, I'd be interested in knowing if other
Asian Americans ( in the USA) have engaged in comparable acts of violence.

Have they?
He was half Chinese and half English.
I believe that thay have not.

In other words, Pamela wud find it impossible
to run a thread like hers on the Chinese.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:28 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
I think the Virginia Tech killer was...
I deem it tragically sad that his victims were docilely un-armed,
in full compliance with ALL gun control laws.

David
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:30 am
@nononono,
If there is no hope and he tried, he tried to find a new beginning the night he went out and drank stupidly, thinking if I score there is hope, if I don't there isn't and the more he drank well, there was no hope.. I am wondering if he started drinking alone, in his room over and over and over .... And then the lottery ticket, he so believed he'd win, he put it out there into the universe that's what you do if you believe and it's meant to work but it didn't not once but twice, no hope of becoming rich quick, the BMW was not enough. Obviously. And then, there was no more hope, that was it, turn back to the 140 pages and lets do it.

This in my opinion came from the Forums he joined the past 12 months, the hatred for women, rape them they love it, thrive on it, meaning a man, who doesn't care for women, uses them, they love it.. They love the bullshit the talk, but once used, they feel like ****.

Good guys finish last, no they don't and shut Hawk, they don't as with age they win.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:34 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:
Since the internet is all about uniting victims through hash tags,
something I'd like to see is we as a society having a moment of silence
for ALL victims of false rape accusations (both men AND women who've
been falsely accused.) We can also use the hash tag
#falserapeclaimsdestroylives to allow victims to talk about and share
their experiences. I think that seems pretty fair to both genders. And
it's an issue that's not being addressed in the media.
That sounds interesting (tho I have never been accused of that).
I don t know much about hashtags.
Will u tell us what u meant (hereinabove) qua:
"women who've been falsely accused" ?
nononono

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:45 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
Good guys finish last, no they don't and shut Hawk, they don't as with age they win.

I'm going to correct this a bit: "Good guys finish last, no they don't and shut Hawk, they don't as with age AND SOCIAL STATUS (which in turn brings money) they win."

Still, that's superficial thinking on the part of society. What society needs more of is empathy and compassion for people suffering in silence. Those people need someone to reach out to them, and if nothing else make them laugh and show them that not everything is so horrible in life. Laughter goes a long way. Even when things are shitty... If you can laugh, boy you've got a GOLDEN ticket out of that **** Smile
nononono

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Will u tell us what u meant (hereinabove) qua:
"women who've been falsely accused" ?

I didn't say women, I said men AND women. Everyone.

False accusations victimize people, and it's an issue that's not being addressed by the media.
Miller

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:55 am
@nononono,
nononono wrote:

Even when things are shitty... If you can laugh, boy you've got a GOLDEN ticket out of that **** .

Laugh your way out of a load of ****? Get real... You'll laugh yourself even deeper into a shitty sink hole, until you drown in turd juice.

1. Forums
  2. » Elliot Rodger
  3. » Page 39
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/13/2024 at 01:10:08