Screen Porch under deck - but on slab in MN?

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:48 am
I have a 2-story house with a walk-out basement. There is a deck off my kitchen on the main level. I want to turn the space below my deck into a screen porch. This is complicated by the fact that there is already a concrete slab patio under the deck. I need some more posts to for the screen and screen door. Since we get significant frost heaving of the slab during winter here in Minnesota, I need a way to "fasten" the additional posts to the underside of the deck so they can "float" up and down as the slab rises/falls. Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,460 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:31 am
I'd guess that the same techniques used in Tree Houses and Log homes would work. The basic premise is to "loosely" fasten the sidewalls to the structure by creating an oblong hole on the sidewall that you can use to put a lag bolt through into the anchored structure.

You just don't want to tighten things down at all. By leaving the bolts loose, as teh ground heaves the sidewalls can "float" up and down as with as much play as is available in the oblong holes.
0 Replies