"Visa" Gay Marriage.

johnnu

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 01:40 pm
My partner is from Thailand, I am British. He got a multi entry holiday visa back in February to visit Britain, he came for his holiday 16th February 2014 and returned to Thailand 4th March 2014. He will come again to England on the 12th June. My question, gay marriage is now legal in England will we be able to marry whilst he is here.

contrex

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 03:11 pm
You can't get married, gay or straight, on a tourist visa. You can only marry if your future spouse has been issued with a fiance visa by the British consulate in there home country.

contrex

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 05:21 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

You can't get married, gay or straight, on a tourist visa. You can only marry if your future spouse has been issued with a fiance visa by the British consulate in there home country.

You can tell I copied that... their home country.

When applying for a marriage ceremony, one of the things they check is the immigration status of the prospective partners.

"The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as a general visitor are that he:...

...does not, during his visit, intend to marry or form a civil partnership, or to give notice of marriage or civil partnership"

If he comes in on a tourist visa with the intention of marrying a UK citizen, then that visa becomes invalid. Using deception to enter the UK can lead to the person being deported and banned from entry for a period of time.

Persons intending to come to the UK to marry who do not intend to settle here must apply for a marriage visa on fForm VAF1F. If they intend to settle in the UK, they need to apply for a Fiance visa using a VAF4A form.

Bottom line, do it the right way or risk your relationship becoming much more difficult, for years.
johnnu

Reply Thu 29 May, 2014 08:09 am
@contrex,
Thank you for your help.
0 Replies

thanes1

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 08:59 am
thats a tricky situation since you can'tapply for spousal sponsorship...
contrex

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2014 10:29 am
@thanes1,
thanes1 wrote:

thats a tricky situation since you can'tapply for spousal sponsorship...

Why do you say that? Sponsorship is possible for same sex marriage visas.

0 Replies