Agnostics. Do you care? Do you still wonder?

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 05:54 pm
As a late-in-life agnostic, when I decided I could no longer believe Christianity as presented in the Bible, I eventually became tired of thinking about religion, meaning of life, possible afterlives...

I was happy not considering these things for about a decade.

Now, I hear alternative opinions about what happens after death. For the past ten years, what I've imagined is a rotting of the body that coincides with the death of what we might call the soul.

I read other opinions. "Souls move forward.....souls never disappear..." and this seems sort of desperately hopeful like the Christian philosophy of "good" souls going to "heaven."

I don't really have a "belief," so to speak. I never rejected the "kindness" precepts of Christianity when I began to disbelieve the mythology aspect. I still thought the Jesus character was pretty fabulous and unassailable. I still feel comfortable "doing unto others...," although fo sho I talk like a sailor and **** who I please like a banshee. So, I'm trying to be open about my personal behavior - I do what I please, but honesty is a big deal to me - I don't steal - I love and take care of children and animals. I guess I'm trying to say I didn't turn into a crazed, self-absorbed cretin when I decided I couldn't hold onto my beliefs. So, I'm basically only different because I can't pray. I don't have a higher power.

I'm VERY interested to know how other former religionists are the same - and different. Have you found another philosophy or explanation for after death? Thanks!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 5,197 • Replies: 73

chai2

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:13 pm
@Lash,
I'm bookmarking Lash.

Too tired to really talk right now, but I think this is a very interesting question.
I'll be back.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:19 pm
Quote:
Lash said: I still thought the Jesus character was pretty fabulous and unassailable.

If you still think he's fab, you're home free..Smile

Jesus said-"You're my friends if you follow me. I don't call you servants, but I call you friends"- (John 15:15)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-friends.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jes-leonA.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jes-hug.gif
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:28 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Nice pics, Romeo. *grin*

Problem is: I can't believe the story. Don't even try to convince me. That boat sailed.

So, NOW. I'm interested in what others who cannot believe in the mythology of a particular religion think about death - and if any of them have latched on to any beliefs in an afterlife - and how they approach the end of life. Smile

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 06:54 pm
@Lash,
You know me, I think - I'm an atheist of the soft kind - in that there is no energy to it, I am simply without belief in a god or gods. I left religion in the sixties, somewhat angry at first, but that passed in a few years, early seventies. I don't go around hating religion, although I am horrified by some acts done in its name. I am well aware of good acts done in its name.

I know you asked about agnostic, but there are many similarities in how I feel to what you wrote in your post, just a different name for it.

I'm not even spiritual, unless you call extreme attention to the complicated beauty of the world we inhabit spiritual. I have a friend who tells me about the spirituality of the mountains. I blink. I love mountains (and oceans, etc.) for all sorts of reasons but spirituality isn't one of them.

I am long time anti-woo woo. I'm sure that is a result of my rejection of massive inculcation of woo woo when I was growing up. My father edited the movie Miracle of Fatima, for example, and the man who ran the rosary crusade was a family friend. With age, though, I can understand the comfort of the beliefs and believing I had and that millions do now - and sort of regret my use of the phrase woo woo, as I'm not exactly making fun of believing. It's more that my interest is long gone. The wonder is for that world around me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:32 pm
As most of you know, I am a hard core atheist. I have nothing against good people, whatever they believe. Just don't force feed it to the unwilling is all I ask. To think we have an afterlife is to me silly, like believing a flower that blooms has an afterlife. I believe each living thing, figuratively, blooms like a flower and then fades away, dead for all time. Speculation about after life seems to me to be wishful thinking.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:38 pm
@edgarblythe,
Same here.

I will add, since I saw Lash's next post, that I'm more aware of death these days and the effect of that is more pleasure with sunlight and breezes and voices and music, and much else.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:44 pm
Death is on my mind, since I have lost lots of friends and relatives to it, many younger than me. But, I am going to live as though it cannot happen, for as long as I can.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 07:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes. I've been the surprized recipient in a big wave of gratitude lately - as if I'm subconsciously preparing for a leave-taking. I'm not getting too weird about it, but just wondering what sense others make of leave-takings and all.

(smile) I'm very grateful for osso and edgar's sharings - and seem to be on par with their ideas about our situation. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:20 pm
An aside. I've always felt a connection to "fellow travelers," straight-up strangers I open doors for, who are behind me on queue, who give me my coffee at Starbucks, who have a short convo with me on the beach. I saw a quote years ago that resonated fiercely. "I am a part of all I have met." Tennyson, from Ulysses. I believe this. I have had a private, strong belief that we are all connected in some way - and oddly, without sharing this, my son shared the identical belief with me a few years ago.

Anyone else feel this...specifically?
chai2

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:22 pm
@Lash,
Yes, all the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:33 pm
@Lash,
I might feel more that all I have met, people or my other observing, is part of me.

The fellow on a bike that waved at me in a distant city, me staring at a building, won't remember it (or will he?) but I do, but you're right, it's a connection going on however momentary.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:41 pm
@Lash,
from my profile here

Quote:
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born. (Anaïs Nin)

another view of the connections
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:41 pm
Chai, osso, edgar, and anyone else poised on sharing. I feel we are on the edge of something very valuable to me - and I thank you.

(ok, I'll stop being weird now for today >.<!!! )
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Very nice. I need to read Nin. Thanks!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:44 pm
I was born with a condition that kept me from feeling connected, most of my life. As I ease into my old age, I can feel it some, now.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:45 pm
@ossobuco,
For me, it's more like a shift in my path. My smile ( or grizzled brow) to them may have substantially changed what happened in their day - and visa versa. We interact and create a step left or right in the Life Path of those we encounter...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:47 pm
@ehBeth,
I always think people here know that I'm a recovered/recovering 'believer'.

I think I'll be a questioner forever. It probably would be easier for a lot of people around me if I'd grown out of questioning.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think I'd feel a bit bittersweet about it - the fullness of the feeling now - and the confoundment and feeling cheated out of it before. How do you feel about it?
Lash

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:48 pm
@ehBeth,
Never! Questioning is magic. I think it puts that naughty beauty in your sideways smile. You're never finished. Wink
0 Replies