9
   

Agnostics. Do you care? Do you still wonder?

 
 
Lash
 
  3  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:12 am
@farmerman,
That forced conversion is so fascinating. My husband's family had evidence of that, too. They fled Palatine, Germany - and wound up on the east coast - all suddenly very Baptist. There was a great family bible with everyone's name listed. I guess this is crass, but you could hardly look at them and not suspect Jewish ancestry.

My father in law was a drill sergeant who was called Rabbi __(last name)__.

I've also noticed a new appreciative orientation toward the natural world.

0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:14 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Here goes the ******* lecturing again.


It is only "******* lecturing" if you are unwilling to listen to reason, Edgar.

Your choice.


Frank Apisa
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:15 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This thread was not begun as a debate thread. People like you who don't want others to think for themselves ought to show some self restraint.


Perhaps it is you, not I, who ought to be showing some self restraint, Edgar.

I posted courteously...and on topic.

You started with the nonsense about "******* lecture."
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:17 am
@Frank Apisa,
You started by telling fm he had no right to his own thought in the matter.
Frank Apisa
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

Here goes the ******* lecturing again.


It is only "******* lecturing" if you are unwilling to listen to reason, Edgar.

Your choice.


[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsdZKCh6RsU[/youtube]


Funny scene.

Famous scene.

I doubt anyone involved with the movie anticipated just how famous those words (and the misquotes of it) would become.

Not sure of your point.
Frank Apisa
 
  0  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:18 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

You started by telling fm he had no right to his own thought in the matter.


I did???

Could you quote where I said that?
chai2
 
  4  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:20 am
Ok boys, the both of you go to your separate project tables and work on your lego millenium falcons or color until you've calmed down.

frank.....be nice and don't make this into a debate. No one here wants that.

edgar....frank isn't going to debate anymore, so just don't poke at him.


The both of you, remember this is Miss Lashes thread, and she didn't want arguments, just opinions.
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
If you lack the ability to go back a few posts to find it yourself, tough luck. At any rate, this will be my last word to you in the matter, as I am sure lash does not want her thread hijacked this way.
Lash
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:21 am
@edgarblythe,
I welcome Frank and his personal story - but I feel that edgar has described what I was hoping for. Just musing together, sharing our particular path that led to our personal philosophies, what we think of death, soul, collective energies...

We all own our truth.

I wouldn't have minded Romeo telling his story, but I'm not going to have him criticize mine or try to herd me in another direction with such insulting rhetoric.
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
We don't need no steenking lectures.
Frank Apisa
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:23 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If you lack the ability to go back a few posts to find it yourself, tough luck. At any rate, this will be my last word to you in the matter, as I am sure lash does not want her thread hijacked this way.


Looked back. Didn't find it.

I'm pretty sure you made it up.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:24 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ok boys, the both of you go to your separate project tables and work on your lego millenium falcons or color until you've calmed down.

frank.....be nice and don't make this into a debate. No one here wants that.

edgar....frank isn't going to debate anymore, so just don't poke at him.


The both of you, remember this is Miss Lashes thread, and she didn't want arguments, just opinions.



edgarrrrr........what did I just say......

It's too early in the morning for this. Just settle down.
Frank Apisa
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:25 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Ok boys, the both of you go to your separate project tables and work on your lego millenium falcons or color until you've calmed down.

frank.....be nice and don't make this into a debate. No one here wants that.

edgar....frank isn't going to debate anymore, so just don't poke at him.


The both of you, remember this is Miss Lashes thread, and she didn't want arguments, just opinions.


I was responding to Lash's questions, Chai.

I did it reasonably...and courteously.

FM said something that I though deserved a reply...which I did in a reasonable way. All of that was on topic...and germane to the questions.

Edgar decided to send an insult my way...and I responded.
0 Replies
 
chai2
 
  3  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:25 am
@chai2,
FRANK!!!

<clapping hands together>

Stop this nonsense RIGHT THIS INSTANT!

Edgar will stop, and you will stop....now.

Honestly, children......
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  -2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

We don't need no steenking lectures.


And you will not get one from me...unless you arbitrarily decide to describe my comments as a lecture.

That is a choice you are making.
0 Replies
 
Lash
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
Hey Frank. I could be wrong, but this post of yours seemed like a type of rebuttal to farmer's post. I think this is what edgar was talking about.

I know you guys enjoy spirited debate on the distinctions between agnosticism and atheism and all the related -isms all over A2K, and I can definitely see how we can lapse into that vibe.

Here, I just wanted people to feel free to share what's going on personally with respect to these topics.

I wouldn't want anyone to feel challenged about their beliefs. Would chill participation. Glad you showed up.
Frank Apisa
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:40 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Hey Frank. I could be wrong, but this post of yours seemed like a type of rebuttal to farmer's post. I think this is what edgar was talking about.

I know you guys enjoy spirited debate on the distinctions between agnosticism and atheism and all the related -isms all over A2K, and I can definitely see how we can lapse into that vibe.

Here, I just wanted people to feel free to share what's going on personally with respect to these topics.

I wouldn't want anyone to feel challenged about their beliefs. Would chill participation. Glad you showed up.


Thank you, Lash.

You are correct that I challenged.

My apologies. I was wrong to do so in this thread.

I remain an agnostic who has pretty much discontinued the use of "agnostic" as a describer because of the baggage describers carry.
0 Replies
 
BDV
 
  2  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Hey I see some people have given my Jesus pics 3 negative votes!


Sorry to burst your bubble, but that aint a real jesus, if it was the photos would be in black and white..... Wink
0 Replies
 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  -1  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 10:14 am
Quote:
Edgar said to Frankie: We don't need no steenking lectures.

Admit it you old softie, you LIKE listening to Frank, otherwise you'd put him on ignore..Smile
0 Replies
 
farmerman
 
  3  
Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
If you watch our space program, it isn't the scientists who say that "Life can occur on planet X" its the reporters. We uually set out to look for
"Earth like planets"
then
Earth like planets with condition favorable to life

Noone I know who is even remotely involved in any space program makes such statemenst setting up a possibility of life on a far ditnt world >WHY? Because its so damned evidence dependent.
We are all aware of your stand, many have had a great time trying to convince you of your errors .

When evidence on earth shows me such a long tortuous road to complex life (With many documented events that hd set the process back many times)

When the entire concept of deities is so culturally dependent such that belief systems have also evolved (along with ministerial management types) and the pomp and ritual of these evolved systems have also evolved with so many ridiculously competeing myths.
When how we deal with our dead evolves into other complex myths of how humans interact with these mythological creatures

I conclude that its all made up to give everyone a sense of calm about their mortality.

Maybe, , you merely interpret data differently than I.

I believe the title of the work was "The EVolution of God" Its a good popular recount of what evidence for and aginst something means in the nature of religious belief.

I am not, in respect to Lash, NOT going to respond because I too , don't want another 20 pages of debate on your favorite topic. SO if you respond to this, make it a show stopper so you know I wont do anything in cross examination.
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/24/2021 at 07:11:39