Agnostics. Do you care? Do you still wonder?

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 08:50 pm
@Lash,
My contentment and my connection to people grows, in tandem. I feel good to know I have grown up at last.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 07:37 am
Quote:
Lash said: Nice pics, Romeo. *grin*
Problem is: I can't believe the story. Don't even try to convince me. That boat sailed.

So you've deserted Jesus after all? Other women stuck with him..
He spent a terrible long night before his death,unable to sleep and racked with loneliness as his disciples fell asleep,
But next day on the cross, as he slipped into death his tired pain-filled eyes saw a host of loyal women who'd stuck with him to the end..
"Jesus cried out with a loud voice, and breathed his last. There were also women looking on from afar, among whom were Mary Magdalene and Salome, who followed him and ministered to him when he was in Galilee, and many other women who came up with him to Jerusalem" (Mark 15:37)
They gave him the last womanly comfort they could by making sure he never died alone..
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub3/jesus.jpg

Some of his disciples ran off in fear of the Romans, but women stuck with him to the end-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus-deadC.gif

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Jesu-maryC.gif

It's almost as if he knew they'd be there for him, so he made sure he was always there for them during his lifetime-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/JesusAdultrss.jpg
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 07:56 am
I too felt I was wearing shackles for much of my life.

Links on the chain that were inscribed with: don't ask questions, trusting someone will only hurt you, don't be curious, don't think, there on conditions on my love for you, etc.

Actually, positive things came from that. I've always been self-reliant, independant.
Of course, many more negative went along with it too.

But this is getting off the subject.

As far as caring about god or afterlife. No I finally not only realized, but absorbed that caring one way or another is useless. Whatever lies ahead, lies ahead, whether I think about it or not.

When I say I'm curious about certain things, I'm curious because finding out about them enriches me in some way.
I came to understand it doesn't fulfill me in any way to wonder or worry about the spiritual, or how it all ends, etc.

As a consequence of this, I find I'm a better person. Kinder to myself and others. At the same time not nearly as worried about saying what I feel, even if it's not what you want to hear.

I can say though that I don't like, and won't label myself an agnostic, a believer, an atheist or anything else related to the subject.

That in itself is giving it too much importance. It's just not something important enough to call it anything.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:00 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think I'd feel a bit bittersweet about it - the fullness of the feeling now - and the confoundment and feeling cheated out of it before. How do you feel about it?

I think I felt the same way for a while, the being cheated out of years I could have been freer.

That must be gone, at least I don't feel so right now.

Again, it got to the point of "what's the use? If I keep thinking I missed something and feel cheated....well, that just more time I've wasted."
chai2

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 08:08 am
@chai2,
Speaking of wasted or wasting time.

It wasn't until very recently I came to terms with this, in what I felt for me was a beautiful calming way.

Looking back on all the time I would tell myself I was wasting time? In almost every instance, it was because I wasn't doing something that someone else would want me to do.
This includes all those motivational people, those who want you chasing the material life, and some god as well.

If I decide to completely "waste" a day playing a video game inside and zoning out, I realized it's because it was what was best for me at that moment. I appreciate and enjoy the hell out of it, and don't think of it as wasting a moment.

I never thought Jesus was that great. So I have no need to ask WWJD?
I don't care what he would do.
I don't even this he was a real person probably. Just an amalgamation of some mostly common sense ideas.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 01:31 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm VERY interested to know…...another philosophy or explanation for after death? Thanks!
The apodictical existential pantheist speculates that She, It, is All; Her very existence a matter not of religion or science but semantics; the Universe Her body and all the activity therein Her thinking. We might consider ourselves Her braincells

Of course Lash one's immediate thinking processes quits at death but the effects of one's life left behind constitute our soul
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 03:46 pm
Great question, love the early first century photos of Jesus, didnt know there was cameras then....

As an Agnostic myself, always looking proof of something else out there I am sad to say I also have given up even listening to the same drivel coming out of the mouths of theists and the "I know best" attitude of the Atheists, surprisingly I found both camps to have similar attitudes, being "its all or nothing" , the arguments that both sides use are ridiculous and sometimes humorous but never persuading. So is there something out there? don't know thats why i am an agnostic, but the knowledge gained on my journey has been eye opening at the very least...
dalehileman

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@BDV,
Quote:
I found both camps to have similar attitudes, being "its all or nothing"
Yea Bdv, it's a result of the dualism that pantheism so adroitly skirts
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@Lash,
I was pretty sure I wanted to be a priest for a time…but my love of women made that something to be avoided at all costs. Glad I did…good for me and good for the Church.

I have no idea if there is anything after death, Lash…and I suspect no one else does either.

I try not to over-think this issue…and like to refer to it as an investigation into the REALITY of existence.

I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

Whatever actually IS…IS the REALITY.

I don’t think we have access to it.

I’ve pretty much stopped identifying myself as an agnostic, simply because that identification causes problems in and of itself.

My personal position on the question of the existesnce of GOD is:

I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are gods; I do not know if there are no gods; I see no reason to suspect gods cannot exist; I see no reason that suggests gods are needed to explain existence; I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 04:28 pm
Hey I see some people have given my Jesus pics 3 negative votes!
Does that mean they're upset because he saved that adulteress from the mob, or are they upset because he hugged that other woman?
Have we got muslims and gay/lesbians in this thread or what?..Smile
chai2

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 05:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

My personal position on the question of the existesnce of GOD is:

I do not know if there is a GOD or if there are gods; I do not know if there are no gods; I see no reason to suspect gods cannot exist; I see no reason that suggests gods are needed to explain existence; I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction.

That nails it Frank.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:33 pm
@chai2,
That nails it for people who think like that. Razz
chai2

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
heh.

I should have added "for me"

that's what I meant.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 23 May, 2014 06:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'm sorry to do a murder on the Nice Agnostics and Friends who Don't Exactly Call Themselves Names Related to Religions Or Lack of Same, but I'm going to hold Romeo's head under ignore water.

Goodbye, Romeo. Live Long and Prosper.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 07:56 am
@Lash,
I started out a Catholic who was derivd from cowardly Jews who converted to not be rounded up in old Russia. (They converted to Eastern Orthodox and then as my family migrated through Poland, husbands converted to Romn Catholicism)
That was an interesting family history.
I went from Catholicism to agnosticism based upon deistic view , a belief in a transcendent being . Then, as evidence of a natural world and the immediacy of chemistry's reactions sunk in , I became quite atheistic. I have basically no need for a supreme being. If on occurs, its only to enable me to say Jeezus H Christ or something considered blasphemous and not even giving a hoot.

There is no evidence to support a deity, and yet, there is plenty of vidence to support a natural world.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 08:12 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I started out a Catholic who was derivd from cowardly Jews who converted to not be rounded up in old Russia. (They converted to Eastern Orthodox and then as my family migrated through Poland, husbands converted to Romn Catholicism)
That was an interesting family history.
I went from Catholicism to agnosticism based upon deistic view , a belief in a transcendent being . Then, as evidence of a natural world and the immediacy of chemistry's reactions sunk in , I became quite atheistic. I have basically no need for a supreme being. If on occurs, its only to enable me to say Jeezus H Christ or something considered blasphemous and not even giving a hoot.

There is no evidence to support a deity, and yet, there is plenty of vidence to support a natural world.

There is NO evidence whatsoever to support any sentient life on any planet circling the nearest 5 stars to Sol...but it is not reasonable nor logical to use that as an argument that there is no sentient life on any of those planets.

The reasonable, logical position to take is: I see no reason to suspect there is no sentient life on any of those planets; I see no reason to suspect there is life on any of those planets. And there is no unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess.

Bottom line: I do not know if there is any sentient life on any of those planets.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 08:15 am
Here goes the ******* lecturing again.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 08:30 am
Quote:
Lash said: I'm going to hold Romeo's head under ignore water.
Goodbye, Romeo. Live Long and Prosper.

Good, now that you've stamped your foot, gone red in the face, and run pouting out of the room to sulk like a little girly, I can talk about you behind your back..Smile
Congrats for proving the Bible is right again-
"They prefer teachers who only tell them what they want to hear" (2 Tim 4:3)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/spock-laugh_zps7db7ca5f.jpg~original
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Here goes the ******* lecturing again.

It is only "******* lecturing" if you are unwilling to listen to reason, Edgar.

Your choice.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 May, 2014 09:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
This thread was not begun as a debate thread. People like you who don't want others to think for themselves ought to show some self restraint.