Hey Boston! Whaddaya got?

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:16 pm
@Lash,
Haha. Thanks for the ice cream (frappe) mentions. Goes into the playlist!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:27 pm
@Lash,
Good flight, manana..

Post if and when you can and feel like it, even if short, as I'm a voyeur traveler.

Otherwise, also have a good flight back too.

Same to Margo on another thread..

and hingehead, whose travels make me swoon every two years or so.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:42 am
@Lash,
Brockton Rox are probably a little closer - maybe about 25 miles whereas Lowell is probably at least 30 miles away. Both have minor league teams. Being in the south shore, I've been to the Brockton Rox - very nice stadium and fun. Granted Brockton, itself isn't the nicest (either is Lowell), but the stadium is easy to get to - right off route 24, straight shot (no turns until you hit the stadium) - a few miles off the route 24.

Ah just checked their website - opening day is tonight for the Rox. And they are also home on Friday.

http://www.brocktonrox.com/view/brocktonrox
George

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:26 am
@Linkat,
Good idea! I forgot about the Rox.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 07:20 pm
I see that the Red Sox are at home at the time I'm thinking of being in Boston.

Are you able to get tickets? I read / heard somewhere that they're always sold out. Is it worth going? Baseball doesn't feature big (or at all) in my life, so far! Can I go by myself?

It sounds like a thing to do in Boston - but a bit unsure.

Opinions?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 10:33 pm
@margo,
So now you're going to Boston?

Blimey!

You're definitely getting out and about, aren't you margs.

Good on ya.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 06:07 am
@margo,
If you're not a fan, don't bother with a Red Sox game. The pace of baseball
drives non-fans crazy.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2014 08:34 am
@margo,
If you simply want the experience of seeing Fenway park -- you could go on a tour. Check to see the times/days they are offerred on line.

I do think though that many people enjoy the experience of going to a ball game even if not huge baseball fans. If you think you would get bored easily -- try buying the standing room only seats -- less money if you think you will not be able to sit. Just keep in mind if you really do not think you would like the game, tickets are expensive. You often times can get tickets on game day if last minute they release them.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 11:57 am
Thanks for your comments.

Linkat...I'm not interested in seeing Fenway Park as such. I was more interested in baseball and what makes it so popular with Americans (must be because they don't play cricket Twisted Evil ) A World Series that doesn't involve the rest of the world??? Drunk

George - what do you mean the pace would drive me crazy (not a long trip, anyway!)? Is it too fast, too slow, too incomprehensible? Certainly the pace and shenanigans of American football would drive me mad compared to a game of rugby.

Lordy - I'm sussing out boltholes in case the Lordy family turn up to check out number 1 son! Also giving ol' Blighty a break from my frequent visits.
Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:05 pm
@margo,
Quote:
A World Series that doesn't involve the rest of the world???

Well it does include Canada!

Actually I always thought that was dumb calling it the World Series so in there I am in agreement.

If you really want to see baseball and not pay an arm and a leg and can travel outside of Boston, try a minor league game. There is one team Brockton - Brockton Rox and one in Lowell (Lowell Spinners) tickets can be had for $10 or so and there is much more entertainment and much less low-keyed than the majors. Both are probably about 20 miles from Boston.
At the very least the minor league teams have mascots running around, contests in between innings and stuff like that which keeps the crowd more entertained. Depending where you sit in Fenway, you will get much more serious fans than in minor league.

Baseball can seem slow - there is kind of a mental game going on between pitcher and batter with maybe the catcher giving some hand signals to the pitcher. Then when the ball is hit there is action in the field and with the batter running the bases. I think the basics might be easy to learn.

You should watch the movie Million Dollar Arm - it is about a man going to India to try to recruit some Indian men (in particular they are expecting to find cricket players) to learn to be a major league baseball pitcher in the US.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:13 pm
@margo,
Is there a baseball game scheduled while you're in Tranna? we could get cheapie tickets and go.

but yanno ... it can seem painfully slow for non-fans
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:30 pm
> George - what do you mean the pace would drive me crazy?

As others have noted, I was talking about its slowness. But if you're a
follower of cricket, maybe that wouldn't bother you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:40 pm
@George,
Plus if you went with ehBeth, there would be someone to tell you what is going on..
Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:40 pm
@Linkat,
Ok so I look back and see how old some of this is and I guess I already suggested going to the minor league parks
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:41 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Linkat...I'm not interested in seeing Fenway Park as such.

http://i57.tinypic.com/ose3d3.jpg
Heretic! Blasphemer! How dare you disparage Boston's holiest site!
Wink
margo

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Heretic! Blasphemer! How dare you disparage Boston's holiest site!
Wink

I guess that's what makes people from Boston different - their religion! Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:48 pm
@George,
George wrote:

> George - what do you mean the pace would drive me crazy?

As others have noted, I was talking about its slowness. But if you're a
follower of cricket, maybe that wouldn't bother you.

George - Australia currently has the number 1 cricket team in the world, in 2 out of 3 formats.

Now - are dem Red Sox any good? Twisted Evil
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 12:53 pm
@ossobuco,
I was thinking Set might be a good guide - he really understands baseball and can be quite enthusiastic about it Smile

(and a couple of my local buddies might think of joining us in an adventure)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:10 pm
@margo,
margo wrote:

Now - are dem Red Sox any good? Twisted Evil

Pouring salt on our collective wounds. How cruel!
http://i58.tinypic.com/34e46k9.gif
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 01:25 pm
> Now - are dem Red Sox any good?

At what? Right now they're fishing and playing golf.
0 Replies