Help Tracing a wire

jamesac

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:08 am
I have just moved into a house and I have found near the back door that there are 3 mains cables sticking out of a wall where a switch unit clearly once was. The wires are labled up as being for outside lights. I would like to put external lights on the property just the other side of the wall from these wires. I have tested them and none of them appear to be live. My question is, what is the easiest way to trace where these wires goes so I can see about the possibility of making these wires live again. I will be using a qualified electrician to conduct any work however if I can trace these wires prior to calling them out it will help keep costs down. Please note I have no electrical qualifications so please keep answers as simple as possible. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 810 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 May, 2014 03:33 am
@jamesac,
jamesac wrote:

I have just moved into a house and I have found near the back door that there are 3 mains cables sticking out of a wall where a switch unit clearly once was. The wires are labled up as being for outside lights. I would like to put external lights on the property just the other side of the wall from these wires. I have tested them and none of them appear to be live. My question is, what is the easiest way to trace where these wires goes so I can see about the possibility of making these wires live again. I will be using a qualified electrician to conduct any work however if I can trace these wires prior to calling them out it will help keep costs down. Please note I have no electrical qualifications so please keep answers as simple as possible. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

My advice would be: Call the electrician...and let him do what he has to do. Whatever costs you might keep down by tracing on your own are almost certainly negligible.

The breaker for that set of wires may be gone...the connection where they came from may be capped...all sorts of things.

The electrician will know what to do and how to do it.

It isn't going to be cheap under any circumstances...and if he is any kind of decent electrician...he is going to do the traces himself no matter what.
0 Replies