Low Volt LED Question

87lwrdr

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 10:41 am
I had 10 50w 12volt halogen outdoor lights running on 600w (300w + 300w) low voltage transformer. I have now replaced the halogen lights with 12v 4w led lights. My question is, do I also replace the 600w trans with a 88w low volt trans to run 40 watts of lights or is the loss (if any) in continuing to run the 600w worth it? I guess the real question is does the 600w trans only use the 40w to run the bulbs as the 88w trans or is there a bigger loss due to one trans being 600w vs. 88w? I hope I phrased it right, thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,559 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:53 pm
@87lwrdr,
If the transformer is a traditional 'iron-core' type, then it will be running at much less than its rated power and will therefore run much cooler since the internal losses (which appear as heat) will be much less. I am assuming the transformer is a traditional iron-core type. If it is a more modern "electronic" type then these have a 'minimum load' requirement and if run at or below this they may give problems with an LED load, flickering, strobing, shortened lamp life, radiated interference to TV signals, etc. A 600 Watt iron core transformer is going to be quite a heavy item, so this may give you a clue about what type you have.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:54 pm
@87lwrdr,
Quote:
with a 88w low volt trans to run 40 watts of lights
Of course Dr that should be 48 watts of lights but then why would you need an 88-w transformer

Yes there will be a difference using the old transformer; depending on their internal resistances and the like, the lights will probably be brighter than s/b. Being lazy however I'd probably use 'em anyway

When you day "(300w + 300w)" I presume there are two secondary windings each supporting 5 lights. So if the array proved too dazzling I might connect the two 5-led banks in parallel and run 'em off one winding
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 01:20 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I am assuming the transformer is a traditional iron-core type. If it is a more modern "electronic" type then these have a 'minimum load' requirement

If you have already changed the lights and they are running steady with good brightness then you are clearly OK.
87lwrdr

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 09:06 pm
@contrex,
The reason for the 88w trans is I had it lying around and figured it would be more economical to run it rather than the 600w one. The 600w trans is heavy but not to heavy so I'm guessing it's an iron core type as is the 88w one. I still am not sure if I'm better off (total power consumption) running the 10 - 4w led's off one side of the 600w or using the 88w. Regardless of which one I use is the power consumption just the 40 total watts of the lights or is there an additional loss within the transformer, if so which trans would be greater loss?
contrex

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:22 am
@87lwrdr,
87lwrdr wrote:
I still am not sure if I'm better off (total power consumption) running the 10 - 4w led's off one side of the 600w or using the 88w. Regardless of which one I use is the power consumption just the 40 total watts of the lights or is there an additional loss within the transformer, if so which trans would be greater loss?

The 600 Watt rating of the larger transformer means "this transformer can supply up to 600 Watts". It does not mean it is necessarily more expensive to run than a transformer that can only supply up to 88 Watts.

Transformers are not 100% efficient, they have internal losses which appear as heat. Practically, these losses are a small percentage of the load being supplied at the time.

We do not know which transformer is the more efficient of the two, although generally speaking, all things being equal, larger transformers are more efficient (lower percentage loss) than small ones. However I feel we are chasing a red herring here.

We are talking about losses of maybe 2% to 5% of load. 40 Watts worth of lamps is going to demand 40 Watts from the low voltage side of the transformer which will result in the high voltage side pulling probably less than 41 Watts from the house AC, the difference appearing as heat in the transformer. These are ballpark figures and the point is that the heat loss is [EMPHASIS:] tiny, very small, negligible, can be disregarded.

Whether you use the smaller or larger transformer does not matter from the power consumption point of view. The difference in power consumption is going to be tiny, not worth worrying about.

Personally I would use the large transformer because it will be running at less than 10% of its rated load and will therefore be running cool.

The people who need worry about transformer losses are power companies and industrial users installing transformers rated at thousands or millions of Watts. Often a more expensive but more efficient design (less losses) will be a better buy than a cheaper (more lossy) one because the more efficient design will need less cooling equipment to be bought (and kept running during its life).

However, I repeat!!! Transformer losses are negligible at the domestic level! Use the one you prefer, it isn't going to make any difference to your power bill.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:17 am
@contrex,
I fully endorse Con above, possibly excepting

Quote:
Personally I would use the large transformer because it will be running at less than 10% of its rated load and will therefore be running cool.
Cool of course but the LED's will probably be running slightly hotter and so suggest you find someone with a voltmeter, to confirm the overload isn't excessive
contrex

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:47 am
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Cool of course but the LED's will probably be running slightly hotter and so suggest you find someone with a voltmeter, to confirm the overload isn't excessive

I don't understand what you mean here. A step down transformer with a secondary output of 12 volts, rated at 600 Watts, compared to one rated at 88 Watts, is simply one with a bigger core, thicker wire in the windings, etc. Thus it can cope with a greater amount of heat arising in the windings and core (the copper and iron losses). Like the smaller transformer, it only presents 12 volts to the load, and is not going to over run the LEDs or make them "run hotter". Please clarify.

87lwrdr

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 11:55 am
@contrex,
Thank you all for the info. I guess I will continue to run the 600w trans (one side at 300w) at 14% capacity rather than the 88w at 46% capacity. This way if the need arises for more power it will be there without having to change it out again.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:10 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
…..Like the smaller transformer, it only presents 12 volts to the load, and is not going to over run the LEDs….Please clarify.
I'd suppose, depending on factors like winding resistance, the bigger transformer at a reduced load might put out a slightly higher voltage
timur

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:44 pm
Dale ill man wrote:
LED's will probably be running slightly hotter

To utter such nonsense, Dale probably never connected a LED.

As usual, he is just pretending he knows something about electricity..
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 01:49 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
…..Like the smaller transformer, it only presents 12 volts to the load, and is not going to over run the LEDs….Please clarify.
I'd suppose, depending on factors like winding resistance, the bigger transformer at a reduced load might put out a slightly higher voltage

Good point. I kind of imagine it would not overdrive the LED lamps much though. The amount by which a transformer's output voltage varies with load is called its "regulation". A good power transformer should exhibit a regulation percentage of less than 3%.

One thing I have thought of is the issue of fusing. The 600W transformer will happily supply 50 amps into a short on the 12 volt side without breaking sweat and plenty more before any fuse in the primary circuit lets go so maybe if there is a fuse on the secondary side its rating should be checked. For a 40 Watt load a 5 amp fuse would be plenty. I know 12 volts won't electrocute anyone but there could be quite a burn-up if a short happened. If it does not have one you can get an in-line automotive fuse holder.

dalehileman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 04:01 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Good point. I kind of imagine it would not overdrive the LED lamps much though……. A good power transformer should exhibit a regulation percentage of less than 3%.
Yea Con, I was supposing the remote chance of an unusually high internal resistance so lousy reg. However doesn't the load presented by a semiconductor like the LED increase disproportionally as voltage rises --compared to, say, a common resistance like the incandescent bulb--so that mightn't a slight increase over its rated voltage push its ratings more than we might otherwise guess

Agreed though, unlikely

Quote:
...so maybe if there is a fuse on the secondary side its rating should be checked.
A wise move
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 01:33 am
I have to retract what I said before. I spoke to a friend who installs lighting yesterday, and he said "When going from halogen to LED lighting, you should get a smaller transformer because the old, large one will over-run the LEDs and shorten their life". So there you have it. LEDs are not a plain old resistive load. Dahileman, you were right. I apologise for misleading the OP.

dalehileman

Reply Sun 18 May, 2014 10:11 am
@contrex,
Why, thank you Con. It's not everyday…..
0 Replies