Is there a wine that is not bitter?

jora

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:24 am
Every red wine I have ever sampled has always been bitter. I suspect this may have been due to an overabundance of chemicals as they were a bit on the cheap side. The thing is, I'm afraid to spend a lot of money on a wine that could end up tasting just like those bitter ones. Anyone have any recommendations? (I like a wine to be sweet and "bold")
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,947 • Replies: 40
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:31 am
Cabernet Sauvignon is my favorite red and can be obtained fairly cheap. Not sweet but not sour either in my opinion just a nice after taste.

Welcome to A2k by the way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:26 am
You're getting a natural tannin. Have you tried Boone's Farm?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:03 am
Urgh, I think Cab Suav would be the wrong choice for jora, with the high tannin and vegetal quality, also because it is bone dry. If you are looking for an inexpensive red with sweetness, you should try Mavrodaphne of Patras, a Greek dessert wine with enough balancing acidity to not make it cloying. It's probably one of the best bargains on the market for the quality. Here's a little info:

http://wineloverspage.com/wines/wt030100.shtml
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:34 am
Cabernet Sauvignon is not for someone who wants a sweet wine. It does complement dark chocolate very nicely. Maybe jora would like a simple concord or cherry wine.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:46 am
Not all cabs compliment chocolate all that well, Cinn. It depends on the balance of Merlot in the blend, and the ripeness of the grapes in general. For example, a new world cab from California or Australia tends to be more 'plummy' than the traditional French style, and would be more suitable. The Mavrodaphne I recommend for chocolate highly, especially bittersweet chocolate. The wine is actually quite port-like, but it's only like $8.00 and change for a bottle. Serve it slightly chilled. The problem for me with say, Boone's, as roger pointed out, or concord wine or cherry wine, is that the wines, while cheap, are very poor quality. If you can have the best of both worlds, quality and price, I say go for it.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:53 am
nonsense Cav;

a nice dark Belgian chocolate slithering down the palate with a fine vintage wine siting across the table in an Orefor crystal stem glass shimmering and aging, right there in front of you.

Shheesh you don't even think of sipping it with the taste of cocao still lingering on the tongue.

[and almost any cheap trash will do, if you don't drink it!]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 08:56 am
Rolling Eyes Sorry, Bo, but it IS true that not any cab will do with chocolate. I never said NONE would do. Mind you, if you are just looking at the decanter while tasting your chocolate, than I suppose any cab would do.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 09:00 am
there see, and in my opinion, if your just going down to the chocolate store to pick up (a hit) more, any cab will do, even a Becks.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 09:18 am
While chocolate fascinates me intellectually, I can only take it in small, incredibly well-made doses. I blame my pastry instructor at Chefs School who was pastry chef at the Dorchester in England and was a master chocolatier and did competitive sugar work. He taught us the Zen of chocolate. Those beautiful molded chocolates, both filled and not filled, gave off a distinct cracking sound when they were ready to be unmolded, and slightly different for each confection.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 09:18 am
1999 DIONYSUS
Arbor Crest is pleased to present this highly acclaimed wine, Dionysus, a masterful blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. The Cabernet Sauvignon grapes are a product of the exceptional Dionysus Block 16 vineyard, one of the oldest vineyards in Washington State, and an exciting new vineyard, Sundance Vineyard, situated along the Columbia River. This distinct wine was given its name Dionysus to complement this noteworthy vineyard and to acknowledge the mythological Greek God of Wine, Dionysus. The alluring aroma of maple sugar, cedar and black raspberry unfold on the palate as plum, nutmeg and black cherry ~ thoroughly seductive. This wine will age gracefully for 10-12 years.

Link
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:24 am
cavfancier wrote:
While chocolate fascinates me intellectually, I can only take it in small, incredibly well-made doses. I blame my pastry instructor at Chefs School who was pastry chef at the Dorchester in England and was a master chocolatier and did competitive sugar work. He taught us the Zen of chocolate. Those beautiful molded chocolates, both filled and not filled, gave off a distinct cracking sound when they were ready to be unmolded, and slightly different for each confection.

when will they be ready - i'm free (or at least 'INCREDIBLY CHEAP') tonight!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:27 am
Well, forget about it Bo, if I don't get a nice dinner first. Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:29 am
are you alluding to my bad memory, or ineptness in the culinary arts? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:38 am
Well, there's always port. Might be nice with chocolate, too. Or cheese or pear...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:39 am
mmmmmmmm; have some Madeira m'dear! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:48 am
Bo, to be honest, I haven't made molded chocolates in years. Maybe some truffles?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:22 am
truffles; i'll call in the pigs!

[er, when it come to 'chocolate' i mean the 'other' pigs.]
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:30 pm
I want that 1999 Dionysus.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 04:14 pm
I take the truffles any wine any one serves.
0 Replies