Please help me get rid of Bing . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:39 pm
A couple of hours ago, i was booted out of Facebook. I've rebooted the box a couple of times, and i can load Facebook, but then i get booted out again, and when i do, the page is a Bing search page, and Chrome claims i'm not logged in. No, i did not click on anything to do with Bing, which appears here to be acting like a virus. Can anyone help me out with this? Please, if you really don't know, just leave it at that. I'd like to hear from peole who actually know what's going on.

Thank you.

Builder

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:50 pm
FB is doing server upgrades.

Getting redirected here in OZ as well, but no issue with Bing.

I don't use chrome, but no issues on firefox with Bing.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:50 pm
@Setanta,

just tried getting on facebook --
Quote:
Account Temporarily Unavailable.

Your account is currently unavailable due to a site issue. We expect this to be resolved shortly. Please try again in a few minutes.

not sure why your browser is sending you to Bing.
is it your home page?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:03 pm
No, Bing is not my home page. It took over IE quite a while ago, which is no big deal, as i don't enjoy sitting around for long periods of time waiting for the browser to come up with the page i asked for. What's odd is that i got into that account for a few seconds, hit log out, and successfully logged into another account.

Thanks, Builder, that explains a lot, but it doesn't explain why i can get into one account but not the other. However, that FB is a f*cked-up service which wants you as a product to sell to advertisers does explain a lot.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:06 pm
OK, i just logged out of the FB account in which i had been working, and i've gotten the "account temporarily unavailable" message again. I'm going to blame Builder, because he is much less likely to be able to find me and kick my ass.
neologist

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:36 pm
FB is a privacy parasite and a waste of time.
But I use it anyway
Gotta be a mental thing

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:37 pm
@Setanta,
It must be something regional. I was just on FB via Chrome, using my Nexus and had no problems other than a bit of lag. Was on it for a good 15 minutes before logging out.

If it were my computer, I'd probably clear cache and reboot the thing so that all the necessary files have to refresh themselves.
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:42 pm
@Butrflynet,
Check out this site, they are saying FB is having service disruptions.

http://downrightnow.com/facebook

As for your Bing problem, clearing cache and rebooting should fix that. If it doesn't run an anti malware scan.

Edit: this site has more detail and tracks the frequency of the outages.

http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/facebook.com.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:19 pm
I had to go into Chrome settings and change them back to the defaults, and remove Bing from the search engine list, twice (once for English, once for French). I swear to god, it acts like a virus.
panzade

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 02:46 am
@Setanta,
Bing is a virus as far as I'm concerned...I shoot it on sight
Builder

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 03:14 am
@panzade,
I see bing in my list of search engines, but I've never had a problem with it trying to take over anything. I use duckduckgo as a search engine, and firefox as the default browser.

IE itself is spyware. Tried chrome, and just didn't like it at all.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 03:27 am
@Builder,
Chrome can be a pain in the ass, there's no doubt. I use Chrome to play games on FB because of the limitations of IE and Firefox for the purpose. Otherwise, it's not a big deal for me. I can see no reason to ever use IE.
Builder

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 03:38 am
@Setanta,
Oh, right. The games work best in chrome.

I don't do the games on FB. Spend enough time on there just keeping up with family and friends.

It's a personal choice, as it all should be.
Setanta

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 03:54 am
@Builder,
I stopped playing the games, and no longer use my FB account. I go to FB to play the games on behalf of The Girl, which is not an unreasonable expectation on her part. Otherwise, i would never use anything but Firefox.
Builder

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 03:59 am
@Setanta,
It is a great browser. And since I switched to duckduckgo, I don't get all the crappy advertising emails or popups.

Still get gumtree sidebars, but I like gumtree, so that's okay.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 04:16 am
I am not familiar with that search engine, nor with gum tree. Is that an Ozian thing?

Mind you, there are a lot of people who used to post here who now post their thoughts at FB. That way, they can have a discussion with their friends, and not be plagued by all the lunatic trolls and hateful creeps who infest this place.
Builder

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 04:26 am
@Setanta,
Yeah, on the trolls, It's like I never really left.

Gumtree probably is an Aussie thing. It's the free version of ebay. I get a lot of jobs, contracts, as well as buying and selling. Locality-driven classifieds.

Here's the duck engine. Quick download, and free. It's fast to use, and apparently anonymous.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 07:16 am
I screwed up and got bing for a home page and search engine somehow, some months back. I managed to get Chrome back in the driver's seat almost right away, but could not get rid of a lurking window tab for bing. Yesterday, I right clicked the Chrome icon on the bottom and a menu popped up. bing was mentioned there. I right clicked it and was able to make it go away at last.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 07:51 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
Gumtree probably is an Aussie thing. It's the free version of ebay. I get a lot of jobs, contracts, as well as buying and selling. Locality-driven classifieds.

Gumtree was founded in March 2000 by Michael Pennington and Simon Crookall as a local London classified ads and community site, designed to connect Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans who were either planning to move, or had just arrived in the city, and needed help getting started with accommodation, employment and meeting new people. In May 2005, Gumtree was acquired by eBay’s classifieds group, for an undisclosed sum. At the time of the acquisition, Gumtree already was available in multiple cities in a number of countries including the United Kingdom, Poland, France, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Hong Kong. Thee days it's all over the world.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 08:27 am
@contrex,

Crookall -- not a good name for a business man...