disqualification for police/NYPD

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:47 pm
Hi,

I was recently charged with possession of a fake ID, disorderly conduct, and criminal mischief for a small physical altercation while out one night at college. I pushed a kid after he directed some unsettling comments my direction, and he happened to fall into a table that broke upon impact. The criminal mischief charge is the result of the broken table. I have absolutely no criminal record prior to this incident, and am very worried that this one poor decision will possibly cause disqualification when I attempt to become an NYPD cop. I have spoken to the owner of the place where the table broke and it looks like he is going to drop the criminal mischief. In the case he does not, I have spoken to the police and they have told me that the judge will most likely dismiss the criminal mischief charge. I am still very upset because my fingerprints and picture were still taken as if I am a "real criminal." In all honesty, I am a completely sane, moral, and positively inclined person that wants the best for society. Can somebody please offer a truthful opinion on what they believe will happen or how this incident will impact the application process? Thank you all for your time and opinions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 5,184 • Replies: 24

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:52 pm
@chris94chris94,
you need a college degree to be a cop?
Hell, in MISSISSIPPI, until a few years ago, You didn't even need a high school education to be a JUDGE
chris94chris94

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:55 pm
@farmerman,
lol that's crazy. The education isn't what I'm worried about (you only need 60 credits). The possibility of having a criminal record from the misdemeanor, although it will be dropped most likely, is what worries me
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:10 pm
@chris94chris94,
well, the fake id thing is what I find most troublesome. Kids will act up but engaging in what is, in some states, a felony, is troubling.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:11 pm
@farmerman,
okay, okay K. Heres the deal. YOU FINISH college, be in the top of your class and then go to LAw School and pass the bar and then sue the bastards for wrongful arrest.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:15 pm
Meantime, you pushed some guy instead of just talking.
That can be a flag.
Maybe not for the police academy, but for the rest of us.
chris94chris94

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Your response is irrelevant and completely inadequate in terms of answering my question. If you have nothing to say in regards to assisting me in this matter which is obviously very serious to me, please say nothing at all.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:20 pm
@chris94chris94,
Really?

Your anger pulse seems set quite low.
Not just to me, but the guy.
chris94chris94

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I actually responded in a professional and courteous manner. Your response did not upset me at all. I just don't enjoy being trolled or ridiculed when I am looking for effective and helpful answers. If you have any factual knowledge of what I'm searching for I'd gladly appreciate your input.
farmerman

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:27 pm
@chris94chris94,
what we write is not filtered by our voices. So, I agree with osso that your tone sounded somewhat discourteous.
Maybe I got you angry? No intention, I was just trolling myself, so apologies if you got miffed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 04:35 pm
@chris94chris94,
Trolled or ridiculed?

I responded as fit when someone reading about a person using a fake ID and attacking another with mild harm to a table might well say.

You appear to have quicksilver anger and overblown selfesteem, not a great thing in a policing force.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 05:00 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, likes to order other people who answer around.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 05:08 pm
@chris94chris94,
It's difficult to say how this incident might affect a future application to the NYPD because it hasn't yet been legally resolved. I'd suggest you wait and see how it turns out rather than worry about it right now.

Your mug shot and fingerprints mean nothing in terms of affecting your application--just the fact of an arrest means very little. The NYPD will also take your fingerprints as well.

Apart from criminal behaviors, the NYPD looks closely at personality issues--they do try to weed out those with personality traits that might be problematic in a police officer. In order to do this, they administer personality testing to applicants, and they scrutinize the applicant's past behavior (in school, on jobs, in the military, etc.) for anything that might be suggestive of problems. In that regard, the incident you refer to might indicate you are somewhat impulsive and can become aggressive when provoked. Those are not desirable traits for an applicant to have. If such things are generally true of you, you might want to give more thought to your own suitability for police work.

Being charged with possession of a fake ID does not exactly jive with your self-description as a completely moral person--it suggests you misrepresent yourself in order to evade compliance with laws. That's not exactly a selling point in an NYPD applicant.

Regardless of what happens with your current legal case, the NYPD will consider it in the total context of all of your application materials in determining what weight to give it. In the context of everything else they know about you, it might raise red flags, or it might not.

And, should your application be rejected, for any reasons you feel are unfair or unreasonable, you can appeal their decision, and the NYPD has an extremely fair and unbiased procedure for review of such appeals.

So hope is not yet lost as far as your potential acceptability to the NYPD is concerned, but your current legal problems should serve as a wake-up call to you that you'd better display better self-control from this point on, and stop skirting laws with fake ID's, if you really want to make the cut and get accepted by them. It's not just criminal convictions that could cause your application to be rejected, it's also the patterns of behavior you display.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 05:09 pm
@chris94chris94,
chris94chris94 wrote:

I actually responded in a professional and courteous manner. Your response did not upset me at all. I just don't enjoy being trolled or ridiculed when I am looking for effective and helpful answers. If you have any factual knowledge of what I'm searching for I'd gladly appreciate your input.

The only effective and helpful answer would come from a lawyer rather then expect free legal advice from a forum where it's terms of service indicates the following:
Quote:
D. THIS SERVICE DOES NOT PROVIDE PROFESSIONAL LEGAL ADVICE. All of the services' content, including postings, is for informational purposes only. The service is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice, and no attorney/client privilege is to be inferred from any postings herein. Always seek the advice of a qualified legal professional with questions you have regarding a legal matter. You should not disregard professional legal advice because of something you have received from or read in the able2know service.
chris94chris94

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 07:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I would love to get one but I'm a broke college kid
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 07:14 pm
@chris94chris94,
http://www.nypdrecruit.com/faq/exam-employment

Quote:
The following factors are some of those which would be cause for disqualification:

Any conviction of an offense which is punishable by one or more years imprisonment (felony).....
Persons convicted of any domestic violence offense.
Candidates must pass all medical, physical, written psychological and oral psychological examinations.

I realize this wasn't domestic violence but the charge (if the outcome does not go your way) + if there are doubts when you take your written and oral psychological exams, might be enough to disqualify you. I'm no authority, but it seems possible that this incident could be fatal to your chances.
chris94chris94

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 07:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Whatever you think my friend
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 07:26 pm
@chris94chris94,
Chris, I know you want someone to tell you there will be no repercussions for
this incident. I'm guessing you are 20 or younger, many of the members here have raised young males and I spent more of my time when my boys were 16 -25 warning them that some things in their lives I cannot fix. I was very explicit about what happens when you get arrested and the sheer stupidity of resisting. No one wins an argument with a cop.

That being said, this incident may not lead to a career killer for you. What concerned me as a mother was the dismissive tone you used talking to some of my peers. I also spent 32 years working along side and eventually managing military personnel. I'm pretty sure the major police departments look at temperament, and it's very difficult to conceal anger issues or difficulty with authority figures. I know the Air Force, Army and Marine Corps have zero tolerance for insubordination. Since you are still very young, you need to do a complete inventory of yourself and find a way to deal with conflict and especially remarks you find offensive.

I actually understand the urge to retaliate, but you need to learn how to temper that ( no pun intended) urge. I hope if this is something you really want to do, you learn to understand how to avoid the pitfalls of succumbing to act in anger.
Good luck.
firefly

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:21 pm
@jespah,
Quote:

I realize this wasn't domestic violence but the charge (if the outcome does not go your way) + if there are doubts when you take your written and oral psychological exams, might be enough to disqualify you. I'm no authority, but it seems possible that this incident could be fatal to your chances.

I don't disagree with that. But, in that instance, the rejection would not be because of a criminal misdemeanor conviction, it would more likely be for psychological unsuitability. The behavior that led to the conviction would simply provide more evidence of psychologically unsuitable behavior, if personality tests, interviews, school reports, employment reports, etc. also revealed evidence of impulsive or aggressive or attitudinal problems that indicated personality traits not suited for police work. They would be more inclined to reject based on recurring patterns, or an across the board indication of problems, or a serious past event, rather than on an isolated incident of disorderly conduct when he shoved someone and a table was broken.

And, in rejecting an applicant, they must be fairly specific in the reasons for their decision, and, as I noted in my previous post, the applicant can appeal and challenge their decision, and he/she can provide independent evaluations to support their claim, and that can result in a reconsideration or reversal of the rejection.

So, I'm not at all certain this current incident might be fatal to chris94chris94's chances to be accepted by the NYPD. In and of itself I don't think it would be. It's not in the same category as "Any repeated convictions of an offense which indicate a disrespect for the law, a lack of good moral character or disposition towards violence and disorder" or a domestic violence conviction, in terms of aggressive propensity. If this incident is the only negative they find, in the entire application package, I don't think they would reject chris94chris94. It's going to depend on what else is in the application package, and what's been revealed in the psychological testing and interviews.

0 Replies

Trollpatrol

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 08:31 pm
@chris94chris94,
Quote:
In all honesty, I am a completely sane, moral, and positively inclined person that wants the best for society.

I've heard that Al-Qaeda is hiring.