1lb thin spaghetti, linguini or favorite pasta
Salt
1 tbls. olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large red bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/3 cup dry white wine
2 cans (14 ounce each) whole cherry tomatoes (see note)
2 tbls. tomato paste
1 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp
1 tbls. olive oil
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Heat large, covered saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat. Add pasta and cook till just underdone,..maybe a minute from "al dente"
In A large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper cook, covered, 5 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring often. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes with their juice, wine and 1/2 teaspoon salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, breaking up tomatoes with spoon. Add the paste. Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook, covered, 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Taste for salt and pepper.
Drain pasta, then return to the pot, add the other tbls. of olive oil,.toss well. Add shrimp mixture; toss well to combine. Sprinkle with parsley.

note- you can substitute almost any kind of shellfish,..I like to do shrimp and lobster.
For most of my tomato based sauces, I use canned pomodorini,..cherry tomatoes, there are some great brands,..but the one from pastene is fine, and widely available.
http://store.pastene.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/8016-lg.jpg
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:14 pm
Shrimp Fra Diavolo---making my mouth water Jerry!!! And it has all that garlic as well...garlic is grand! Smile
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:18 pm
Hiya Quinn!!
Happy New Year honey!!!

I'm making the shrimp for dinner,..if I decide to actually move today Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 01:23 pm
HI YA JERRY!!!
Happy New Year to you to honey!!
<love your signature line...cracked me up!>

oh..shrimp for dinner...if you see someone with their nose up against the glass..dont worry...just me Wink hehehehe

move..youre moving..what...no crack? <giggling>
0 Replies

suzanneR

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2003 11:03 pm
Thanks for the welcome, Jerry, and Happy New Year to you!
This forum is great. Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time in the food section. So much for resolutions. :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 12:18 am
1) Catch Fish. Any Panfish.
2) Clean and filet or butterfly fish as preferred.
3) Fry up about a pound or so of well-fatted bacon in a large iron skillet ... be careful not to overheat and burn it
4) While bacon is frying, moisten fish (soy sauce or beer work equally well for this) then dredge in roughly 50/50 flour/cornmeal mixture with favorite seasonings. I lean toward garlic, dill, and coarse ground black pepper, with maybe a touch of lemon zest.
5) Give bacon to the dogs, fry the fish in the bacon grease till golden brown and flaky ... a minute and a half or so per side, depending on thickness should do.

timber
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:17 pm
humm timber..bacon, fish and beer...okay, I think that probably does taste pretty darn good ....
will have to try that sometime!
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:40 am
Hi, Jerry!!.....One of my recipes for cod or haddock is soooo easy, but is continually requested by family and friends......I use a glass baking dish,.....line the bottom with scallions,....place my fillets on top, and using my fingers, coat each piece of fish with about a half teaspoon of mayo, and 1/4 teaspoon of smoky onion mustard, smearing them together, and making sure the tops and sides of the fillets are covered....sprinkle a mixture of buttered cracker crumbs and chopped pecans on top....bake in a 350 degree oven until fish is opaque (approx. 20 minutes)! I've used several different mustards, as well as different chopped nuts.....each recipe has been equally tasty.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 04:04 pm
Hiya Chun-chun!!
I'm soo glad you made it here!!

Recipe sounds great!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 09:14 pm
How about monkfish? I bought some, frozen, at my local seafood market after hearing that it has a similar texture and taste to lobster, but I've done a search and haven't found any recipes that appeal. I'm on the verge of throwing it away. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2003 12:10 am
mckenzie,..I have some great recipes for monkfish,..I love it!
It's late for m now, but I will post tomorrow!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 05:57 am
Monkfish
mckensie,

I love to cook monkfish filets wrapped in parma ham (or other cured raw ham).

Just wrap them up, using cocktail sticks/toothpicks to hold the ham on the fish.

Heat a pan with a little olive oil and butter. Add the fish. Turn after about 1 minute on each side, then place the pan in a medium oven to finish the cooking through.

The ham should end up nearly crisp and will have held plenty of the juices from the fish in. The fish should be just cooked in the middle.

Remove the fish and de-glaze the pan with a little lemon juice - pour juices over the fish, which is great served with mashed potatoes and crunchy green beans.

I recommend a Sauvignon Blanc with this dish!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:00 am
Hey it's kitchenpete! Welcome to a2k!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 10:26 am
Welcome, kitchenpete! :-D
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 12:31 pm
Hey Jerry, I know where you can get some cheap escargo....
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:19 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:20 pm
Welcome kitchenpete!!

Good to see you again!! Very Happy
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 08:50 pm
Sorry to take so long to get back to this, things are crazy 'round here

Twisted Evil

Romesco Sauce

2 tbs. hot smoked paprika
1 small jar of piquillo peppers, (roasted peppers will work in a pinch)
3 medium tomatoes
1 medium bulb of garlic
1 medium red onion
2/3 cup blanched almonds, peeled
1 cup hazelnuts, skinned
1 piece of crusty bread (about the size of a dinner roll) , toasted
1 tbs. chopped parsley
2/3 cup good olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sherry or red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Place the tomatoes,onion and garlic on a baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt. Roast in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Skin the garlic cloves and the onion.
Put the tomatoes in a food processor with the garlic,onion, paprika, almonds, hazlenuts, bread, parsley, and part of the olive oil. Pulse until you have a smooth paste. Beat in the remaining oil, vinegar and pepper.

Romesco De Peix (Catalan Fisherman'S Stew)

2 cups fish stock or combination of chicken broth and clam juice
2/3 cup dry white wine
2 tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound clams, scrubbed clean
1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed clean
1.5 lbs monkfish cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 pound extra large shrimp, cleaned
1 cup Romesco Sauce

Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and saute the onion and
shrimp til the onions are soft and the shrimp turn pink. Remove the shrimp and
set aside. Add the wine, and cook over high heat til almost evaporated, add the romeco sauce. Pour in the stock and cook to reduce until thickened.Add the clams, mussels, fish. Cover and cook for five minutes.Add the shrimp and cover. Cook until the clams and mussels have opened and the fish is cooked, approximately 5 minutes.Serve in warm soup bowls with some good crusty bread.
Serves 6-8
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
kitchenpete, that sounds wonderful, and so simple. All I need to do now is visit the Italian market for some proscuitto.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:28 pm
Yup, tomorrow, for dinner.

I was about to throw that fish away. I've been trying to be good and not buy on impulse so that it goes to waste.
0 Replies