Is there disease mongering in the US

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 03:57 pm
*Mongering is where someone is trying to promote or sell something or some idea. In France it is against the law to promote drugs or medications on TV, radio, in magazines, newspapers or in any other fashion. Only doctors may recommend medications to their patients.

The reason that France has this law becomes very clear when you read the following taken from the BBC NEWS of 11 April 2006:

”Pharmaceutical firms are inventing diseases to sell more drugs, researchers have warned. ‘Disease-mongering’ promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 683 • Replies: 5
No top replies

void123

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 04:35 pm
@Rickoshay75,
yep
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 04:37 pm
@Rickoshay75,
This has been one of my big complaints for a number of years. Americans are being sold a bill of goods and the FDA is complicit.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 05:06 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Quote:
‘Disease-mongering’ promotes non-existent diseases and exaggerates mild problems to boost profits, the Public Library of Science Medicine reported.”

I don't know. I don't think that the diseases are non-existent. I DO think that the pharmaceutical industry is pandering to hypochondriasis. There are people who have been sold a bill of goods that popping a pill will cure problems, many which can be ameliorated through non-pharmaceutical means. It's the old "instant gratification" thing.

I am angry that there are drugs that are used successfully in Europe, that are not available here, because of lack of FDA approval. I have my suspicions on that one.

I have another beef. I have always wondered why a drug that always needed a prescription, all of a sudden becomes OTC, when it is the exact same formula as the prescription medication.
roger

Reply Sat 3 May, 2014 05:12 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Agree with all but the last. The diseases exist but are often over diagnosed and over treated. Their importance is usually overstated and the side effects are kind of tucked away at the bottom of the promotion. They know we tend to watch the visuals and ignore the text.

I suspect that many that become OTC are at the end of their patent life and the producer has to decide whether to compete against generics, become a generic, or capitalize on their own brand recognition. I don't know how Advil beat out the trade name Motrin.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Sat 10 May, 2014 11:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

This has been one of my big complaints for a number of years. Americans are being sold a bill of goods and the FDA is complicit.

Not only that but the law holds the buyer responsible -- Let the buyer beware (caveat emptor) -- gives the seller the license to steal.

“My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot.” Ashleigh Brilliant
0 Replies