German Court Strengthens Rights of Stay-at-Home Moms, Dads

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:48 pm
Germany's Federal Administrative Court ruled on Wednesday that divorcees, who had largely taken care of the household and kids, wouldn't lose their palimony claims against their former partners even if they continued doing the housework in a new partnership.

The judges said that housework as well as bringing up children was a valuable role that enhanced the living standard of the working partner.

That's why, they said, maintenance claims after a divorce had to take into account the household duties as well as the income of the marriage partner.
The court stressed that nothing had changed about the fact that a person could, after divorce, continue to work in the household of a new partner.

The ruling thus revoked an earlier contradictory decision by a superior court in Oldenburg and sanctioned the regular payment of €180 monthly to a young, divorced housewife.
from Deutsche Welle
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 687 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 05:34 am
It is about time I can only wish such forward thinking would become part of the US culture. I congratulate Germany. But I am afraid we, in the US, are along way from this kind of enlightened thinking towards women.

Women in the US still only earn 0.80 to the $1.00 that men make and less than 3% of women are CEO of major corporations. Women are paid less because the work that the do is considered less important. And women who do not work are a minority. The women who work to take care of the children of the working mothers are one of the lowest paid of all occupations.

Most male dominated professions in the US still worry that the introduction of women to the work force will lower their earnings. And current economy requires two incomes so women must work.
0 Replies