does anyone believe in aliens?

ste0076

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:22 pm
I want to talk about aliens and ufo,s has anyone experienced any of these?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 17 • Views: 4,205 • Replies: 55
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:24 pm
@ste0076,
No.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
No, have you?
ste0076

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:28 pm
@glitterbag,
No but I find it interesting
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:41 pm
@ste0076,
I find it annoying.
ste0076

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Why is it annoying,the possiblety of life out there is fasinating
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:53 pm
@ste0076,
life on earth is fascinating enough to me, look around.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 11:58 pm
@ste0076,
ste0076 wrote:

I want to talk about aliens and ufo,s has anyone experienced any of these?

Aliens probably exist but..

they are more than likely NOT visiting earth in "ufos".

I would be more than happy to be wrong. The idea of being abducted and taken on a ride through space sounds like fun. I would even allow them to run experiments on me if I could visit their home planet. I wouldn't even care if they made me an exhibit in one of their zoos. Just knowing that they exist and that there is credible proof would be enough for me.

ste0076

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 12:03 am
@Krumple,
How do they get here then,not on the metro I hope
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 04:30 am
As for "ufos," i have no doubt that people see, or think they see, objects, or what they think are objects, which are flying, or which they think are flying--which they are then and subsequently unable to identify.

That's no reason to believe this planet has ever been visited by members of a highly technological, non-terrestrial species. In fact, there is good reason to assume that there have been no visitations. We live in the galactic boondocks. We are out on one of the spiral arms, far from the center of the galaxy. The earliest television broadcasts went out just under 80 years ago. I mention television--even though radio signals have been going out for about a century--although of poor signal quality--because if they were intercepted and identified, they would constitute unambiguous evidence of a technological civilization. It is not likely that anyone knows were here. It is also preposterous to suggest that any technological civilization has the resources, or wants to waste their resources, sending ot "manned" spacecraft to just have a look around. It's far more likely that any exploration would be done by automated machines. Those suckers are unlikely to touch down here and grab you for an anal probe. Such machines may already have been here, and we wouldn't know it. If they were here more than a century ago, their message home would likely translate as: "Don't bother."
Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 04:51 am
@ste0076,
Never seen an alien but do I believe in aliens? Sure. The universe contains 10 of billions of galaxies and even if you consider that the universe was randomly created, you'd have to consider the possibility that at least at random, there would be billions of galaxies that were created that are like Earth, just probably had a different evolution.
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:18 am
@Buttermilk,
"Randomly created?" That's a rather odd turn of phrase. Who or what created the universe of which we are a part? How would that occur randomly? Is that like the situation in which you are out in public and fart accidentally when you didn't mean to? That's a pretty dodgy set of ideas you're working with there.
Trollpatrol

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:22 am
What's surprising about this thread so far is that an alien hasn't replied.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:29 am
How would you know if it were an alien?
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:35 am
@Setanta,
eh poor choice of words...I'm at work so I'm doing multiple things. How about randomly coming into existence? Better? As far as how do I know if the universe was created randomly? Well as far as empirical studies by astrophysicist are concerned, that is the best theory we have. If you're suggesting a metaphysical answer, well, on whether God or gods created the universe is subjective and not scientifically proven.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:40 am
@ste0076,
If aliens have visited us and haven't obliterated us, that would be very interesting.
Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:43 am
@Setanta,
Then I suppose you deny the claims of some astronauts who "alleged" to have seen flying objects going at very fast speeds or objects in orbit that are "extra-terrestrial." I also think just as the possibility you think aliens haven't visited us because we live in the galatic boondocks does not defeat the possibility they have and in fact I believe just as there is the possibility that we being a young planet and species there are perhaps other ancient species far more advanced technologically, and culturally who have visited us.
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 05:57 am
@Buttermilk,
Yes, absent unambiguous evidence, i don't believe anyone's claim (i.e., your claim) that astronauts have seen "extraterrestrial objects" in orbit around this planet. (EDIT: How would they know what they thought they saw was extra-terrestrial--did they get out of their capsule and check?) People who think aliens go diddybopping around the the cosmos are truly bereft of an understanding of the distances and the cost--in absolute terms of materials and energy--necessary for that kind of travel. The unintentionally naïve Fermi Paradox makes the assumption that sufficiently, technologically advanced civilizations would, as a matter of course, go out to colonize other worlds. Fermi then asked, where are they? Fermi ignored or was ignorant of the effects of micro-gravity and the need for shielding from cosmic radiation. I suspect though, that it was just a throw-away line on Fermi's part. Those who claim, however, that just because other technologically sophisticated cultures may exist, they will have visited this planet truly display a profound ignorance of the material and energy cost of long-distance travel in a galaxy in which long distances are measure in dozens, hundreds or even thousands of light years.
Setanta

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:00 am
@rosborne979,
I was visited by an alien once't . . . but he was just from Mexico.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 06:26 am
@Setanta,
Alas a far older and far ancient civlization and its beings would have their reason and their technology to surpass any doubt you or I would have. The fact that there are possibly 10 of billions of galaxies and that we "Earthlings" being a young species have no idea what other possible ancient civilizations are capable of.

Just as we may think flying to the moon as some sort of an achievement, perhaps other beings who are far ancient and wiser than us, perhaps "burn energy" because they are curious beings as we are curious about other worlds which may contain life. They may, or may not exist but if we take the metaphysical theory then we are left with conflict and no substantial evidence that at least in theory could be provable.