PDF Maker Error Dialog in Excel

CDobyns

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 11:00 am
I'm running Microsoft Excel 97 (yes old, but dependable), on a laptop running Microsoft Windows XP Professional (yes expired, but stable). When I start Excel I get the error dialog box below.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/CGDobyns/ExcelPDFMaker_zps1339cc64.jpg
Any thoughts on what the problem is, although I suspect the problem resides with the PDF template file, but what do others think - and what's the likely fix?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,615 • Replies: 1
No top replies

CDobyns

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2014 12:34 pm
@CDobyns,
I'm the happiest when I can actually solve my own problems (well, let's just say that I'm happier . . .).

The solution to this error dialogue box popping up was as I suspected - and that it had something to do with the PDFMaker template file being somehow "awry".

Somehow the PDFMaker.xla file (which embeds the PDF menu for Excel) got placed in the Microsoft Office\Office\Startup directory, when it should have been installed in the Microsoft Office\Office\Xlstart directory. Deleting and copying the file to the correct location solved the problem, and now the application (and the PDF Maker menu) is being executed correctly.

We can mark this one Solved.
0 Replies