Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?

chai2

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 06:48 pm
@Thixian,
Thixian, I can't speak for glitterbag, but if you see my posts as overreacting, it may be because I'm addressing someone that's so dense, that he's unaware people generally don't go around killing or harming living things because they're bored, or it's something to do, or funny, etc.

Do I put ants above humans? Of course not. What got me was the comment at how he felt ants (and I'm sure a lot of other animals) are useless.

As the most intelligent animal on this planet, we not only gave the power to do very good/great things, but also, as we are indeed doing, destroy our own home.
When I said ants are more important to the earth than humans are, I was addressing the way one is more productive in keeping the planet healthy than the other.

Ants aerate and nurish the soil, they sow seeds (so do humans, but only for our own benefit) and they are a food source for many other animals.

If humans were to disappear tomorrow, the earth would literally heave a sigh of relief. If ants disappeared, it would change a lot of things for the bad.
Mame

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 10:48 pm
Regardless of what contributions or value ants or humans contribute to this planet, killing so many ants, destroying their home/habitat for no reason other than boredom (or "because I can") is just wrong. Killing fire ants if they're eating you alive - yeah. It's you or me, baby. Eliminating rats/racoons/other pests from your attic? Ditto. But to just senselessly exterminate a whole colony of inoffensive ants just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time does speak of …. I don't know what, exactly. You could call it immaturity, but it's probably a larger issue than that. An over-inflated sense of human-ego? Divine right, sort of thing.
0 Replies

Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 01:32 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
The neighborhood kids taught me to how to catch fireflies too, and we put them in jars. Useless to be mad at myself now, many decades later, but I see how I didn't connect, they were other. I remember being sad they died. I had barely been in yards before, barely had friends before. Hadn't read science yet, never had pets, and so on, being nine in a moving family.

I did the same thing with fireflies. I didn't grow up with fireflies, but at some points of my childhood I did. I put them in a jar and brought them to my bedside. When they stopped blinking, I would give the jar a little shake. I wasn't doing it to be cruel; Never even thought about it. My Grandfather even helped me poke holes in the lid for them. I really can't recall whether I was sad or disappointed that they died.

ossobuco wrote:
The pipe rippled. Black with cockroaches.

That's terrifying. I would probably panic.

Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 02:26 pm
@chai2,
I understand. It's very sad what we do to the planet. Part of me believes though, that whatever happens here, we will evolve/adapt. It would be nice to protect it's beauty to share with future generations though.

I see more that it's his motive that get's under your skin; The humour he finds in it, because while it does show a lack of respect living creatures, I don't believe his actions are affecting the ecosystem. It's the attitude, I suppose. It's the gateway attitude towards lack of appreciation of the planet.

I actually think it was more disrespectful that he told the Hindu kid to kiss his stinking feet. Eek! I can't say actually. Haha. But, I also don't think he should have been called "white bully." Two wrongs don't make a right.

Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 02:40 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
why are they collecting bugs?

for science or for entertainment/home decor?

if it's for science, I'd give it a meh pass. If it's for a hobby/entertainment/home decor, I'd say no way and don't invite me over.

I couldn't say why for sure but, it seems there is some skill involved in it. I can only imagine they get the same pleasure out of it as a jewelry maker gets. The jewelry maker arranges his/her supplies and begins to work. They are absorbed in the activity of using their hands to craft something, and afterwards admire what they've done.
chai2

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 03:04 pm
@Thixian,
Thixian wrote:

It's the gateway attitude towards lack of appreciation of the planet.

I was thinking more that it may be a gateway to do bad things to higher forms of life, including people.

As we all know, it's common for sadists to start out torturing and killing animals.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 03:22 pm
@Thixian,
I forgot, we had airholes too.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 03:28 pm
@Thixian,
The guy, a fellow lab person at the time (besides being a pianist), was brilliant, besides chemistry ability. I think a lot of us who worked together in those years went in different directions later. Anyway, I think he probably wormed his way out of that squat apartment, but not sure. I just remember the visual of the pipe.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 03:34 pm
I wonder what some other a2kers would say about bug collection.

Collections in general were for some reason popular in my youth, my youth being a long time ago.
Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:14 pm
@ossobuco,
I brought it up because I saw it at the bottom of the page in related topics. People didn't pay much notice.

http://able2know.org/topic/211465-1
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:22 pm
@Thixian,
This is not my thing and I think people have categorized bug collectors, from my reading. Meantime, we have posters who will talk on this, I betcha.
Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep. Everyone's up in arms over sport hunters, while etymologists are left in the shadows.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 04:56 pm
@Thixian,
Now there's a thought.

(I'm not teasing)

I am not clear on what I think.
Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Well it sounds like, for whatever reason, it's not as important to them...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:30 pm
@Thixian,
to the bugs? There we might differ.

Meantime, I should stay out of this. I am interested in many others opinions.
Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:33 pm
@ossobuco,
To people. The number of people protesting trophy animals far outnumbers people protesting bug collecting is all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:52 pm
@Thixian,
hunh

interesting. that doesn't come up in my version of related topics. not sure it ever did. the software here still surprises me regularly
ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:53 pm
@Thixian,
I'll stick with my original response. If it's for science, I'll consider it. If it's for a hobby etc, I wouldn't be a supportive friend.

Killing for boredom/entertainment/trophy collection doesn't work for me.
0 Replies

Thixian

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
@ehBeth,
A couple days ago it was there, but has since dropped off.
0 Replies

void123

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2014 07:22 am
@Thrylix,
He who considers the Self as the slayer; he who deems that it can be slain: neither of these knows the truth. The Self does not kill, nor is it killed. Bhagavad Gita
0 Replies