Do you think stepping on bugs is wrong - why or why not?

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:05 am
@Thrylix,
I think purposely disturbing or killing living things is wrong.

I don't really have any moral consistency on it, as I eat some meats.....but I think causing harm or pain for pleasure is always wrong.

I'll stomp on snails eating my plants, though, or kill flies inside the house.

0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:10 am
@Thrylix,
So this whole thread was a bait thread?

One person putting out bullshit and another attempting to defend the bullshit. Probably the same person for two accounts with similar names? It is odd that a brand new poster would use this thread topic to post in out of all the possible threads, they chose this one? And defending the OP? If that isn't a red flag then nothing is..
Thrylix

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:07 am
@Krumple,
Nah, wasn't trying to start a bait thread. I was just seeing what others take was on stepping on bugs. Like I said I have no problem doing it, but occasionally run across the type who think its taboo.

I'll be the first to admit that I treat bugs like dirt. But I feel that there it's pretty natural to do so given how much less significant I see them as being than myself. If I feel like toying with their lives by planting my foot on their home, well maybe it's a little childish and sleazy of me, but otherwise I'm a pretty good guy.

At the same time, there are people who revere them as spiritual vessels, such as jains. Sometimes I would think they would be even more outraged than they are when a guy like me comes along to wipe out some ants.
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:18 am
@Thrylix,
Thrylix wrote:
At the same time, there are people who revere them as spiritual vessels, such as jains. Sometimes I would think they would be even more outraged than they are when a guy like me comes along to wipe out some ants.

It has nothing to do with how people view them, spiritual vessels or not that is NOT their point. The fact comes up that if you are given the power or ability you would do the same for humans because how would you draw the line? You see ants as insignificant, why would you think anything else is significant? But it doesn't stop there. It means you have no respect for the chain or cycle of life itself.

Which means you don't care about what sort of service they provide nor care to wonder if they are providing any service to the web of life. So by taking a huge **** on ants means you take a huge **** on life itself. So they get annoyed that they should respect you for your ignorance.

It is similar people with your mind set which lead to the entire planet being **** on without any care for it's future or what sort of damage is being caused.

"Should we cut down a hundred thousand acres of forest?"

"Sure it's not like anything important is using it and we need it so why not?"

"What about all the wild life using it?"

"**** em, they are just ants and bugs anyways.. they aren't important for anything."
bellamente

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:33 am
@Krumple,
... what if you came back to earth, after you pass/leave this life, as an ant or a bug?
Thrylix

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:39 am
@Krumple,
Not true; I actually really care about the environment. If ants were endangered I would be hesitant to step on them. I wouldn't want any animal species going extinct or being threatened and I'm against deforestation. If I see a pray mantis on a tennis court, I'd probably pick it up and bring it to safety, not squish it.

Ants are different; they're like drones that throw themselves into danger constantly and go to war with each other. They practically exist to be massacred, drowned, stepped on, or insert any mass killing event. And if some are unlucky enough to wander too close to me, them's the brakes.
bellamente

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 08:44 am
@Thrylix,
Quote:
Ants are different; they're like drones that throw themselves into danger constantly and go to war with each other. They practically exist to be massacred, drowned, stepped on, or insert any mass killing event.

Something we, humans and ants, have in common.
0 Replies

Thrylix

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:07 am
@bellamente,
If I were reincarnated as an ant I'd certainly pray I didn't run into someone like me.

However, that doesn't change my perception of ants, spiders, or other bugs that I've stepped on. Like I said before, if I'm standing over an anthill and that kid's uncle bob and grandma jane were one of the hundred little ants somewhere down by my feet, I wouldn't feel it necessary to be merciful. They're just ants now, too bad for them. They probably deserve to be stepped on. Their new home can be a crevice on the bottom of my size 12 sneaker sole, hah,
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:20 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You and your alter ego are crass bores. Self indulgent, smug, self congratulating, assholes

Don't forget pricks, wankers, immature douchebags
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 09:21 am
@Thixian,
Thixian wrote:
I'm miss pissy pants?

You are. You really are.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:18 am
@Thrylix,
Thrylix wrote:

Not true; I actually really care about the environment. If ants were endangered I would be hesitant to step on them. I wouldn't want any animal species going extinct or being threatened and I'm against deforestation. If I see a pray mantis on a tennis court, I'd probably pick it up and bring it to safety, not squish it.

Ants are different; they're like drones that throw themselves into danger constantly and go to war with each other. They practically exist to be massacred, drowned, stepped on, or insert any mass killing event. And if some are unlucky enough to wander too close to me, them's the brakes.

Bullshit.

Ants are more significant in a positive way to the Earth/environment than you (we) are, as they serve clear and useful purpose to the planet.

All us humans have managed to do as far as the environment is concerned is **** it up. Our significant contribution as far as the Earth is concern has been to work at destroying the world for every livng thing on it.

They don't practically exist to be masscacred, etc.

Do you even think before you type?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 10:21 am
@Thrylix,
Thrylix wrote:

Just give it up you pathetic ninny. And it's not "them's the brakes", it's breaks you big scary idiot. I really don't want to know the answer to this, but I really hope you didn't post a picture of yourself as the icon, because it looks like a smarmy jerk Eddie Haskell. Yuk, mr. Pissy pants. I won't be able to eat for a week.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:04 pm
@Thrylix,
It's all about intent. In your case, it's pretty petty what you did.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 01:14 pm
@Thrylix,
Here is the thing Thrylix.

Since you have the capacity to avoid harming things if you so wish. It then becomes your obligation to do so. Now you can object to that if you want and say that you are allowed to do what ever you want to insects or what ever but the fact is when you exercise no restraint or care for other life, why should anyone care about your life?

Why should anything respect your life if you don't respect any other life? It makes you self centered to not have the decency to respect the life that you can easy snuff out. Doesn't matter if they are endangered or not. Ants have just as much right to this existence as you do, so what gives you the right to destroy them?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:34 pm
@Krumple,
I agree, but I also feel that if (for survival) one must kill other life forms for the nutrients they contain, it is no more unacceptable morally than it is for lions to kill and eat zebras. But I do admire human hunters who say prayers and conduct rituals celebrating their appreciation and respect
for those they kill for food.
I am a flaming hypocrite, however. I just ate a chicken whose death I did not experience. Instead I hired an assassin (Tyson?) to do that work for me.
Krumple

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:42 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

I agree, but I also feel that if (for survival) one must kill other life forms for the nutrients they contain, it is no more unacceptable morally than it is for lions to kill and eat zebras. But I do admire human hunters who say prayers and conduct rituals celebrating their appreciation and respect
for those they kill for food.
I am a flaming hypocrite, however. I just ate a chicken whose death I did not experience. Instead I hired an assassin (Tyson?) to do that work for me.

There is a subtle difference between a human hunter and a lion or animal killing another animal.

We can survive without needing to. A lion doesn't have the choice or option to change it's diet.

As a human we can make a choice. I am not saying it is wrong to eat meat or that it would make you a bad person if you did, instead I am saying there is an option.

I have more respect for a person who sees a spider or fly in their house, instead of squishing it, they capture it and put it outside.

I have more respect for a person who opts for a vegetarian diet.

It all comes down to intent and how much concern or compassion you have for life in general.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 04:57 pm
@Krumple,
Not all of us are limber enough to do that anymore, even if we prefer that.. Just wait.

In the case of a bite being serious, black widow in house, I am not nice, even though I get it that they are not just "after me".
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you let dangerous spiders nest in your house? or yard? or, take them a block away? Do you pick them up and drive them to a forest?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:18 pm
Quote:
I have more respect for a person who opts for a vegetarian diet.

It all comes down to intent and how much concern or compassion you have for life in general.

Well, there's the eagle eye view, excuse me, ZAP!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2014 05:38 pm
@Krumple,
I often enough agree with you, Krumple, but I'm no fan of moralisticness since I lived there myself and understand it's rooms.
0 Replies