Mold in vent system. Advice please!

Germlat

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 02:52 pm
We recently had our vent system cleaned. The technicians encountered numerous types of mold, including black mold. They told us it appeared as if the vent system had never been cleaned. The house was 20 years old at the time of purchase (yikes, long time for build-up). We payed a few thousand for the cleaning and treatment of mold. In addition , the techs recommended placement of Air Gorilla ( ultraviolet lights) to prevent future mold. Cost and installation of Air Gorilla systems is quite costly, and to top it off we have 2 separate units. Has anyone used these? Do they really work? We do live in an area where it is humid in the summer. I'm not sure if the tech was simply trying to sell us something else, and make a hefty commission or if it is truly necessary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 890 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2014 09:54 pm
I leave the furnace FAN in the ON position all year round. That prevents stagnant air in them, to prevent mold.

Since the vents are now all clean, be sure there is air movement in them at all times.

Germlat

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2014 05:50 am
@PUNKEY,
Thanks for the advice. We have an HVAC system. We do set the humidity indoors for comfort, otherwise sinuses get dry etc ( I think it's set to 40-50%). I wonder if , the condensation from the cooling system also promotes growth of mold.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 04:45 pm
@Germlat,
Absolutely. Bacteria loves cool, dark and still places.
Germlat

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2014 07:08 pm
@PUNKEY,
Then mold is Fungi not bacteria . Though , our system was infested with both. Yikes!! Double trouble!
0 Replies