Scan Disk will run ... unnecessarily

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:17 am
ScanDisk wants to run several times - unnecessarily:

- always only on 'drive "C" ' - which isn't my 'WINDOWS'-drive, but the drive where all the programs, private stored files etc are (system related files are on my computer on 'drive "D" ')

- does so at any start and inbetween as well (what I notice by a notice from 'Diskeeper' that diskeeper can't defrag because ScanDisk wants to run ..)

- it's not the latest/a virus: scanned for viruses more than once, have the latest virus software updates as well as those from Windows (I use XP Pro)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 993 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mcnich327

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:11 pm
Often when you have problems with Windows like yours the best thing is to start fresh. Re-format the drive and re-install Windows. If you know what your drive is you can download the formatting program from the vendor, example Maxtor, Western. You could spend days trying to get the operating system right or a few hours formatting and installing windows.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:54 pm
If you right click on your HD and go

properties -> tools -> Error checking

you may find some options for ScanDisk.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 07:20 pm
You might want to look at the Event Viewer in your Control Panel to see if there is a more descriptive explanation for what is happening.

It may just be that Scandisk and Diskkeeper are fighting with each other. You may have to shut down Diskkeeper for a bit to let Scandisk run all the way through once. Scandisk doesn't like not being able to finish and will pester you forever at startup until it finally does.

I can't think of anything else that might be the problem at the moment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:23 pm
Thanks, fishin'!

It might well be that I clicked on something in another (registry) program, (like "start scandisc always ...."). [Grrrrr! Sad ]

I'm going to look for that properly ... after having followed your advice. :wink:

(I suspect, however, that it is, because I'v installed "weather watcher", with automatic refreshing of the site/wallpaper every 5 mins on that drive.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 11:36 pm
No, nothing of such.

And unfortuantely, your advice didn't bring up any result, too. (I'd stopped Diskkeeper from the biginning already, when I noticed this.)
Funny, I actually used system restore as well, running now "in last week" - still doing this.

Well, doesn't seem to something serious, only annoying.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 10:07 am
Walter, try booting into safemode, then running a thorough scandisk all the way through once.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 12:28 pm
Okay, thanks, timber, I'll try that ... later :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:22 am
Didn't work.

So ...I'm going to my favourite sports now again: formating, re.innstalling, installing, downloading, trying to remember how I changed this program and altered that Crying or Very sad
0 Replies