The Future of Humanity

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:59 pm
Generally speaking everyone at any given time thinks that the people in times past were somehow less enlightened then them.

You can watch grainy black and white film about Germany in the 30's and lose any comprehension that these people were essentially no different than us. They were at the apex of humanity when they lived and everything before them was of a lesser mode.

100 years from now people will watch primitive HD 2D videos about us and conclude that we were so much less than them.

Wars continue. Oppression continues. Totalitarianism continues. Unabated.

Let's assume that the global consciousness may have made a major course change in the '60s, ( this is ridiculous but let's assume it). That transformation has had absolutely no impact on the base elements of humanity. There was no measurable increase in the advancement of society.

Power rules, people die.

OK, no child in the West will be hanged for stealing a loaf of bread, but how much better is the world today?

The past is not better than the present, but this doesn't mean that the present is all good. (Exception: Those days before a major civilization fell and those thereafter)

This age will be remembered for people who assumed their beliefs could change the world, and actually did nothing to achieve the goal.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 816 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 05:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I bet you'd be interested in this article.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 06:57 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Bookmarking for now.

Quote:
This age will be remembered for people who assumed their beliefs could change the world, and actually did nothing to achieve the goal.

I recently watched a documentary about how our public school textbook sausage gets made -- I'm thinking beliefs can change, and has changed, the world.

Also wondering -- is it a bad thing to believe that your beliefs can change the world?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 03:06 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Simply put, there are winners and there are losers, for each generation. If one is a winner, life is better than if one is a loser. And, the losers in one era can be the winners in another era. It's just a game of musical chairs, in my opinion.

There just might be more ways to amuse oneself in the present, as compared to the past. That being said, the profundity of this thread escapes me?
0 Replies