Denoting shared possession between self and third-party

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 09:03 pm
I want to make my response grammatical:

Context: [What has you flustered about finding an apartment?]
Me: Mostly the running around, and scheduling viewings around mine and Laura's schedule.

My concern is the order and choice of conjugation of the italicized words. (Not sure if "conjugation" is the kosher term)

Please advise Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 735 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 11:56 pm
@robert-blankenship,
What is acceptable in conversational English is a function of the social context of the participants, NOT nebulous prescriptive grammatical rules which apply to hypothetical whole sentence structures which are the province of text rather than conversation. The meaning here is perfectly clear. Standing aside to analyse it defeats the communicative contextual dynamics in the same way that a freeze frame (modified with photo-shop) would disrupt the flow of a film.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 03:11 am
@robert-blankenship,
"My schedule and Laura's" might be better, if you are talking about two separate schedules (yours and Laura's).

Your concern is the order and choice of the italicized words. Conjugation in the grammatical sense is the creation of different parts of a verb from the basic form. e.g I go, you go, he goes, we go, you go, they go.

'Kosher' to mean "acceptable" in such a sentence might be slightly offensive to observant Jews.
Mika Anna

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:41 am
@robert-blankenship,
I always am unsure what to do when I write sentences like the one you gave. I would just try to avoid it by saying "Mostly the running around, and scheduling viewings around my schedule and Laura's". There are two other things you may want to address:

1. It's not a complete sentence (I am flustered mostly because of the running around...)
2. There shouldn't be a comma after around, for it is not joining two sentences, it is adding another verb phrase.

So, to summarize, I would say "I am flustered mostly because of the running around and scheduling viewings aroung my schedule and Laura's".

Hope I helped!
0 Replies

Mika Anna

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:43 am
@contrex,
Quote:
'Kosher' to mean "acceptable" in such a sentence might be slightly offensive to observant Jews.

The term "jews" may be offensive to jewish people.
contrex

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 11:50 am
@Mika Anna,
Mika Anna wrote:

The term "jews" may be offensive to jewish people.

Given that "Jew" is what they call themselves, I very much doubt it.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 09:48 pm
@contrex,
Quote:

I can't imagine that English speaking Jews would avoid a perfectly good nuance.
0 Replies