COLBERT TO TAKE OVER FOR LETTERMAN

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 12:25 am
@farmerman,
There's no accounting for tastes.

You don't like Miller. I do, and I don't need to laugh out loud to appreciate a comedian.
farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 06:23 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There's no accounting for tastes.

Dont lose any sleep over this phrase, I don't want to cause you any discomfort

Quote:
I don't need to laugh out loud to appreciate a comedian
. That really doesn't define a comedian, thats more like what happens at a "lecture".Can
you think of any comedian who makes you "laugh out loud:?

I think it would be laugh out loud funny were a comedian to be doing a routine in front of a live audience and people only smiled. That comedian would be soon back working his "day job" .No?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 03:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I don't need to laugh out loud to appreciate a comedian
. That really doesn't define a comedian, thats more like what happens at a "lecture".Can
you think of any comedian who makes you "laugh out loud:?

I agree. It was you who brought it up in your assessment of Gutfeld.

There are plenty of comedians who have made me laugh out loud in concert and just on TV. Eddy Murphy, Dana Carvey, Richard Pryor, to name but a few.

People who go to comedy shows are prepped to laugh out loud. A stand-up comedian has to be pretty bad not to get laughs.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 06:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
This argument interests me. I like people who make me think and sometimes that takes time, me being me.. though I get the pacing of what I consider good comic talkers. I liked Bob Hope - somewhat - way back when, maybe when I was twelve, and in general as years went by didn't agree with him on politics stuff. I didn't just hate him, though.

A guy I liked, well, I would, was George Carlin. Met him once, over a lab counter. Neither of us were funny that day, nor despondent, true neutral, no acting apparent.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 06:38 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

I agree. It was you who brought it up in your assessment of Gutfeld
And I said that even Gutfeld doesnt consider himself a "comedian".
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 08:12 am
Having read some biography of Johnny Carson, I believe his success was more than his ability as a comedian. The mood of the country, and the demographic of his audience appreciated the "upscale success" of Johnny Carson's persona, in my opinion. He was a boy from Nebraska when it was still considered a positive to be a midwestern WASP. Let's not forget he was in the Navy in WII, and got into tv on the bottom floor, so to speak. His personal life was followed by many, and I believe it added to the charisma of his "winner" image.

That being said, he was a unique composite for that time in the country. All others, in my opinion, are just unable to do what Carson did. He made many people feel that they were part of his world of happy adults.

So, if Carson cannot really be duplicated, the question might be whether network tv will continue to try to capture Carson's unique persona, or eventually a new late night format will be introduced? Perhaps, something very different. I just think late night comedy has seen its best days, and there's no going back.

Or, late night tv might give zany women a chance to entertain those with insomnia? There might be an untapped audience demographic there?
farmerman

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 11:49 am
@Foofie,
I don't recall the early ays of Caron but Ive seen these "carson biographies" on the BIOGRAPHY ChANNEL. He apparently did not hit his stride for quite a while when he went late night. He was very close to being cancelled and then something clicked.
Sorta like Swinfeld. When it was the Seinfeld Chronicles, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David didn't have the chemistry thing down with the ensemble cast. Larry David wanted a "Mary Tyler Moore" ensemble and Jerry wanted it to be more edgy. SO that took almost a whole year which, in a comedy series time, could be life or death
Foofie

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 11:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I don't recall the early ays of Caron but Ive seen these "carson biographies" on the BIOGRAPHY ChANNEL. He apparently did not hit his stride for quite a while when he went late night. He was very close to being cancelled and then something clicked.
Sorta like Swinfeld. When it was the Seinfeld Chronicles, Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David didn't have the chemistry thing down with the ensemble cast. Larry David wanted a "Mary Tyler Moore" ensemble and Jerry wanted it to be more edgy. SO that took almost a whole year which, in a comedy series time, could be life or death

The Carson biographies in the library give more detail to his personal life. Then one might see how he was so revered at that point in history, a la the days when Playboy magazine was what young men read, and thought of as a role model. Just my opinion, as always.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 11:40 am
@farmerman,
Man, I for one disappointed since Letterman's is so much later, after my usu bedtime
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 01:10 pm
@dalehileman,
do you have cable? I often "tape" shows with the DVR and watch it when I feel like. I am a fan of "Justified" and Ive taped the last show so I can savor it later.
Once you get it (it costs like .50 cents month) youll wonder how you got along without it
dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 01:21 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks Man but I feel swamped by Dish
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 01:26 pm
@dalehileman,
you probably already HAVE IT on your dish box. Call your guy, they'll show you and then will write it down.
My wife did that because we have so mny gizmos on the set that I was always ******* something up. Like one time I engaged the dumass "Captioning" option nd could not figure out how to shut it off.
Or ill bollix something up so badly that I hve to pull the plug nd let the damn set reboot its stupid computer so I can get it to work again.
Even this little laptop hs developed a feature that is affecting the keystrokes (You may notice that W's and A's go missing, and its not "dirty keys"
Don't give up, its only goddamn calculator with a big screen
dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 01:33 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Don't give up, its only goddamn calculator with a big screen
My new LG causes grotesque distortions of the humanoid face with movement. There's a way to reset it using the auxiliary controller but I don't remember what it's called and besides at 83 I have better things to do, while yardwork still calls
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 03:44 pm
@dalehileman,
its easier to pull the plug and ;eave it unplugged for a coupla minutes till the whole thing reboots. (Kinda like my puters)
dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2014 06:48 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks Man but in this particular case that approach doesn't work because the anomaly and its perception are intended and controllable. Without it I guess the picture is jerky and with too much it's grotesque
0 Replies