Variety's Good and Bad Mother's Day Films

patiodog

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 01:54 pm
Any more clarity would probably violate the TOS.

http://home.att.net/~r.s.swartz/roseb1.jpg
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 02:02 pm
EGAD! Thank you for your help, Letty and Patio Dog. Now, I'm glad I didn't see the ending.

(Letty: Bravo. I thought that one was a toughie.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:29 pm
That's not the shot of the baby I remember -- when Mia looks into the crib she's horrified and I can't bring myself to describe it as it would be a spoiler.

http://www.yale.edu/yfs/images/sidebar/rosemarysbaby.gif
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:34 pm
The matriarach in "Sunshine" would be a good mom.

Hobitbob has his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek and he should bite it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:36 pm
Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:42 pm
Lightwizard: I really can't make out Patiodog's picture, but my imagination is running rampant, and since Letty said IT had little hooves, I know I don't want to see the ending.
So, what are your choices of movies for Mom to see?

Edited: Oh, I just saw the Mia Farrow picture you posted. Yikes!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:45 pm
...and red glowing eyes.

I mentioned "Sunshine" as the Mom has a great deal on influence on her son even though he goes through some pretty drastic ups-and-downs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:50 pm
Not a theatrical release but Meryl Streep's Mom in "Angels in America" turns out to be a real godsend.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:50 pm
A Happy Motherly Film

Reykjavik 101.
(spoilers ahead)

30 year old son lives with mom.
Mom has a new lover.
30 year old son sleeps with mom's lover.
Mom's lover gets pregnant.
30 year old son gets kicked out of the house.
Mom is the father of her grandchild.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 05:58 pm
I assume Mom's lover is a woman (well, unless it's Ahnold).
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:00 pm
I didn't see "Sunshine". I'm going to watch it next time it's on TV.

I enjoyed "Mother" with Albert Brooks and Debbie Reynolds.

Oh, I just remembered: a son's 'dying' devotion to his Mom. "Top of the World, Ma." But somehow I don't think Mom would appreciate White Heat on Mother's Day.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:08 pm
That's a great entry -- "Mother." Variety missed that one.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:10 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's not the shot of the baby I remember -- when Mia looks into the crib she's horrified and I can't bring myself to describe it as it would be a spoiler.

http://www.yale.edu/yfs/images/sidebar/rosemarysbaby.gif

I can't help but recall Sister Mary Loquacious' comments in "Good Omens," on seeing the beast, who had just been delivered unto Tadfield:
"I always thought he would be soooo cute... from the top of his little hornsy-wornsies, to the tips of his little hoofie-woofies, which of course, he hasn't actually got!"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:26 pm
Hmm - a bad mother film? How 'bout Gypsy?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 May, 2004 06:34 pm
Kind of a bitter sweet portrayal and probably the epitome of the theater Moms.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:23 pm
U P D A T E from Variety:

MOTHER'S DAY

MOM IS MORE THAN JUST A TITLE

1. ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER (Todo Sobre Mi Madre)
Women on the edge of a nervous breakdown are at the heart of Pedro Almodovar's 13th outing, "All About My Mother," an emotionally satisfying and brilliantly played take on the ups and (mostly) downs of a group of less-than-typical female friends.

2. BIG MOMMA'S HOUSE
A drag comedy laced with numerous low-comedy set pieces, "Big Momma's House" sees Martin Lawrence follow his former co-star Eddie Murphy into the salon for a heavy prosthetic makeover. A routine slice of warm-weather entertainment, pic is about an FBI agent who poses as a 300-pound Southern granny in order to catch the bad guy.

3. I REMEMBER MAMA
With "I Remember Mama," RKO is spreading a layer of warm and deeply moving nostalgia. Based on the John van Druten legiter, and the novel, "Mama's Bank Account" by Kathryn Forbes, the film encompasses those same broad, human values which lifted the play into the smash hit class.

4. SERIAL MOM
"Chip, our mother is Charles Manson!" Ricki Lake exclaims to her brother upon learning of their perfect suburban mom's double life in John Waters' latest expose of society's hypocrisies, normal people's naughty thoughts and the secrets that lie behind suburbia's well-manicured facades.

5. THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN
"Throw Momma from the Train" is a fun and delightfully venal comedy. Very clever and engaging from beginning to end, pic builds on the notion that nearly everyone - at least once in life - has the desire to snuff out a relative or nemesis, even if 99.9% of us let the urge pass without ever acting on it. .

THE MOTHER-CHILD DYNAMIC ... HOLLYWOOD STYLE

1. THE FOG - Janet Leigh/Jamie Lee Curtis
John Carpenter is anything but subtle in his approach to shocker material. Premise is obvious from almost the first frame, as a grizzled John Houseman tells youngsters grouped around a campfire about a foggy curse that surrounds a coastal town where a horrible shipwreck took place 100 years ago.

2. KIMBERLY - Patty Duke/Sean Astin
Four rowing buddies fall for the same girl and provide emotional support during her pregnancy -- never knowing which of them is the father -- in "Kimberly," a pleasant comedy about the pitfalls of commitment. Pic juggles the interlocking lives of five lead characters with varying success, but what at first seems like a standard boys-meet-girl story has enough original, off-kilter touches to keep viewers hooked.

3. SYLVIA - Blythe Danner/Gwyneth Paltrow
This artfully crafted look at the mutually destructive relationship between young American poet Sylvia Plath and British bard Ted Hughes takes pains to accurately represent their personalities and the downward spiral of their marriage. Expect reasonable biz in upscale markets.

4. THESE OLD BROADS - Debbie Reynolds/Carrie Fisher (writer)
A sendup of everything Hollywood, from catfighting actresses to over-the-top demands, ABC's "These Old Broads" is simple, nasty fun. Shirley MacLaine, Debbie Reynolds, Elizabeth Taylor and Joan Collins are the ultimate good sports here, playing downtrodden divas who bicker nonstop about nips, tucks and failed marriages. Nostalgic viewers tired of sweeps schedules packed with overblown minis and true crime tell-alls will surely appreciate this uncomplicated telepic full of class acts and sass.

5. WILD AT HEART - Laura Dern/Diane Ladd
Joltingly violent, wickedly funny and rivetingly erotic, David Lynch's Wild at Heart [based on the novel by Barry Gifford] is a rollercoaster ride to redemption through an American gothic heart of darkness.

View all 48 articles currently published on Variety.com.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:46 pm
Throw Momma from the Train - ha ha light wizard just the name of the movie is enough.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:48 pm
And wild at heart...one of my faves. My favourite line:
"Peanut, sometimes the way your brain works amazes me!"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 03:03 pm
"Throw Momma from the Train" That would be a bad Mother's Day movie.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 03:07 pm
So would "Thirteen".
0 Replies