No earth Terminal bar in consumer distribution box?

Dragan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:30 pm
Recently I had an electrician hook up a new consumer distribution box. I now wish to run an extra fuse and wire off of this box and upon opening the distribution box, find that there is no earth terminal bar with earth wires attached. The only earth wire that comes into the distribution box is one that goes to the lightning surge arrestor; no way in hiding this. Perhaps he felt that he did not have the space to run the 5 or so earth wires into the box? As is, he has joined these earth wires in the cavity behind the distribution box and I can no longer see or get to where he has joined these earth wires. The one earth wire to the Lightning surge arrestor, is probably only some 5 inches in length, to where this would join up to the other earth wires, connected in the cavity, behind the distribution box.

Can this 'one' earth wire attached to the lightning surge arrestor be utilized to join to a 'earth terminal bar', upon which other new attached fuses can join their earth wires to, or will this have a negative affect on the lightning surge arrestor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 6
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:38 pm
@Dragan,
Have your electrician come back and explain how it works.
Dragan

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:58 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Tried phoning him, but what sounds like his mother says 'Greg' (no way in hell this guys real name is Greg) is away to China. Pretty sure I can use the earth wire I see. Would like to make extra sure though?
Any one help?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 04:38 pm
@Dragan,
Without any clear pictures of what he did, it is difficult to suggest anything. I would feel bad giving you blind advice and reading about how your building burned down in the international news.
Dragan

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2014 09:21 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Not wrong, I was considering waiting for him to get back from China. I'm also a further bit concerned in relation to your comments seeing that he has left naked, non-insulated earth wires running through the hole to the consumer distribution box. This hole also being the hole I've cut in the back of the timber (pine) kitchen cupboards.

If I had an email address or somewhere to attach a photo, I could send a picture.

Thanks
parados

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2014 06:33 am
@Dragan,
Bare copper is not uncommon for grounding to earth depending on local codes. What country are you in?
0 Replies

long-beach-rox

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2014 02:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Its always nice to have wonderful discussions on forums where your can find all the relevant information you are searching for.
0 Replies