painting questions

whannum

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 08:54 am
I am trying to make paintings by spraying dry pigments onto resin but it is not working quite right and I am wondering if anyone knows of a material that would work...

I have been laying down puddles of epoxy and then covering them with pigment but as the epoxy drys the pigment becomes part of the epoxy instead of just staying on top as if the epoxy were an adhesive. Because the epoxy fuses with the pigment layer the pigment loses most of its luster which is important. Can anyone think of a resin or material that I could dust pigment onto thick areas of and it would remain on top of the material when it cures?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 3
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 10:13 am
@whannum,
Why not mix the pigments into the resin? or sandwich your pigment between layer of resin?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 10:34 am
@whannum,
cool, I like experimentation. FIRST, what effects are you trying to achieve?
Ive seen where a type of resin is allowed to"float" on top of a layer of thinner or solvent. The canvas is in the thinner and then soluble colors are daubed into the resin. (The thinner assures everything stays in solution)
Then the solvent is VERY SLOWLY withdrawn via the bottom and the resin /color is allowed to settle onto the canvas . The pattern achieved is like that of "marbling " on paper.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 10:53 am
@whannum,
Here's a Japanese painter who does what you're asking bout:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSvWMUZCjRc
0 Replies