What the heck is 'larded with'?

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:38 am
I was in the process of making a poll suggestion for IMDb regarding animated movies in the thriller genre when I came upon a movie I never heard of before and it had the following for a summary:
Quote:
Psychological thriller larded with manga-like animations about the young, poor comic strip illustrator Nina, living with her mean landlady. She sinks further and further into a violent fantasy world.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399412/combined

What do you think they meant by this bizarre verbiage? It's possibly a typo but what verb would have it been if it was a spelling error? Could it be a bad Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment pun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 774 • Replies: 7

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:43 am
Larded is a pretty standard literary (and cooking) term.

In this context, it means it has slivers of animation tucked in throughout the film.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:46 am
@ehBeth,
That quick response is the correct answer indeed. I just found and watched the trailer online a minute ago.

It's not a completely animated film. It has apparently has snippets of animated clips between the regular live action scenes.

Now I actually hope to find a copy of the film with English subtitles. It's a Brazilian film (in Portuguese I presume).
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:48 am
@ehBeth,
There is another literary sense - covered with - but it doesn't seem to make quite as much sense.

____

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lardon

I've always been too lazy to go hard-core, putting lardon on a thread. I have used the simpler approach - cutting slivers in the meat, and tucking tiny pieces of lardon in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:49 am
@tsarstepan,
Cooking techniques and film references in one thread - that's awesome (given that it doesn't seem to be a film about cooking Wink )
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 06:55 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Cooking techniques and film references in one thread

That's why a2k is such a great place. It really is unpredictable what you're going to run across in a given day.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2014 02:23 pm
Full Definition of LARD
a : to dress (meat) for cooking by inserting or covering with something (as strips of fat)
b : to cover or soil with grease
: to augment or intersperse especially with something superfluous or excessive <the book is larded with subplots>
obsolete : to make rich with or as if with fat
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2014 02:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I associate this directly with Paula Deane - the older version before she tried to be healthy.

So larded with I would think is fatten up sort of with not good stuff but yucky yellowing lard a$$ sickenly fat crap.

So I view it as a negatively overdone crappy animations -- not in a positive way at all.

It may not be the intent -- but that is exactly what I envision.
0 Replies