Have you ever had a dream that woke you up with a laugh?

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
We've all had nightmares, but how many people have ever had a dream which was so funny that it woke them up laughing?

I'm not especially prone to nightmares, though I've had some memorable ones. But I've only had one dream which I remember as being funny. And this particular one was so funny that it actually woke me up (laughing). The humor in the dream was purely a personal joke related to personalities (people) I know, so it wouldn't do any good to describe it, but I was just wondering how many other people have experienced humor while dreaming.

Dreams of fear and dread are so common in human psychology that they have a name, "nightmares". But there is no corresponding term for humor or joy in dreams, which makes me wonder why there seems to be a preponderance of, or intensity of, dread and fear in dreams.

Does anyone know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
Mine are usually nightmares, but I do wake up laughing. Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Mine are usually nightmares, but I do wake up laughing. Wink

Laughing from the nightmares, or do you just wake up laughing no matter what?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
I have awaken in laughter but don't remember the dream.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
No, not laughter ... but have woken from dreams with warm, gooey lurve feelings toward extremely unlikely people! Embarrassed Shocked
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:20 pm
Same with me eoe. Of course, looking at my husband's newly awakened face makes me laugh anyway, so it's hard to tell. Mr. Green

Yeah, msolga, I've had the female equivalent of wet dreams. They are nice. Embarrassed :wink:
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:21 pm
Actually, I remember only a small percentage of my dreams after waking, and forget about it totally after a day or two. The only dreams I remember are the ones I fly in or find money in the parking lot. Those are repeated every few years. All the others are forgotten. Wink
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:28 pm
I hardly remember a case of waking up with a laugh, or scarcely a case with an anger.
(My ordinary life is filled up with laughs and angers.)
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
If a bad dream is a nightmare, what's a good dream?

PS msolga, don't you dare say wet! :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:05 am
I remember having a dream about a college buddy who used to do this impersonation of Bill Murray in Caddy Shack, saying that the dalai lama had told him that on his death bed he would "receive total consciousness. So I got that Going for me."

It used to crack me up the way he did it, and it actually woke me up laughing. This was the only time it ever happened to me. It was great.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:12 am
Individual wrote:
PS msolga, don't you dare say wet! :wink:

That wasn't me, Individual, it was doglover! Laughing
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:48 am
I wake up laughing quite frequently. Should I be worried about this I wonder?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:55 am
Hebba! Very Happy
What a nice surprise to see you!
But do you know WHY you are laughing when you wake? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ....
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 05:23 am
Well,yes Olga, I´m dreaming something hilarious.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 09:37 am
hebba, What is your waking days like? Are they also full of laughter?
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 12:50 pm
I can't remember ever having a dream where I woke up laughing. I've had some where I woke up screaming or crying, once I even had a dream where for some reason I spit at something I woke up just in time for the goop to land right back in my own eye!! BLECH!!!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 03:53 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 10:46 pm
hebba wrote:
Well,yes Olga, I´m dreaming something hilarious.

Well there are lots of worse ways to wake up, hebba. Lucky you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 07:29 am
I have very vivid dreams of all types. Many adventurous ones. I have waked up laughing from dreams before. Unfortunately at this time I cannot remember the specifics, but I do remember waking up laughing. I have woken up feeling about any and all types of feelings you can. I have had dreams that have made me angry at some one upon waking, and I have as doglover described very erotic dreams that make me feel amorous after waking. I have even hit my husband during a dream. I have talked and walked in my sleep. As a matter of fact it appears my sleeping/dreaming life is much more interesting than my waking life.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:01 am
I admit to one such dream.

I don't know whether you have these in the States but in England there is a cracker called "a water biscuit". In the dream somebody said they were thirsty and I offered them "a water biscuit". "Oh you're trying to be funny", came the reply "next time you tell me YOU are thirsty you can run this tape of a waterfall down your throat and out of your backside !"

I woke both myself and my wife with my laughter !
0 Replies