Steamer without fuse

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 02:16 pm
Recently, a household rolling steamer (we use it for cleaning: bathrooms, kitchens, floors etc.) had a fault. I opened it up and the electrical cord had gotten overheated and melted its insulation and failed like it was a fuse. it had carbonized part of the barrier strip inside which joined the plug cord to the inside wiring, melting part of its plastic casing. I think my teenage daughter failed to add water to it and allowed it to over heat. there is no external damage, and aside from the cord and the barrier strip, not much visible damage inside. I am inclined to record it and use it as it has been extremely handy to our family. My question: Is there any reason I could not add a ~1600 watt (120v, 13 or 14 amp) fuse to prevent damage to the machine and fire for future use? The steamer is rated at 1500 watts. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Dragan

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2014 09:05 pm
@bigdawgte,
Not an electrician, and yet was thinking that the fuses in the consumer distribution box is supposed to do this. But no, then recalled that one of my vacuum cleaners died recently - Overheated; I had been cleaning the main canister but did not think that the rear hepa filter would become clogged the way it did. So it didn't trip the New fuses I'd recently installed i.e. RCBO's. The vacuum cleaner then overheated and died.

With the damage that you have mentioned, I"d be thinking that the steamer is already dead. If you rewired and plugged it back in, you could at least tell if it works still. Sorry to see that no one with electrical knowledge has answered your question specifically relating to what size, type etc fuse to put in; inclusive why the manufacturer did not incorporate this. Thankfully my vacuum cleaner only cost me $50 with shipping off of ebay; a pretty good one for the money, but obviously a lesson to maintain things prior to use.
0 Replies