What Would YOU choose as Your Last Meal

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:32 am
Let's say that you get one days notice that an asteroid will kill all of us humans, you will have to eat one last meal at some point, what do you choose?

Me:
A old timey crusty bread, hopefully with some rye in it
the best butter i can get
stinky cheese
a lager or an Amber
bonus points if I can toast the bread

then I drink all the high priced hooch that I have around the house I can till I pass out,

How bout U?

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Something quick and easy, so I would have time to wash the car and mow the lawn.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:39 am
@Lordyaswas,
there will defiantly be some ******* in there somewhere! I would ideally be tripping on acid as the end comes but I dont currently have connections, booze it will have to be.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 01:52 am
@hawkeye10,

Alcohol does not do much for me.
U can have any rye I find.

I dunno; lemme think about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 02:18 am
Let's be sure that last meal includes lots of high fiber veggies. Fiber is good for you
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Definitely a huge dinner and wines at The Innat Little Washington, all paid by credit card
ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2014 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
lamb stew
latkes
homemade applesauce
pear cider

if I''m going to die anyway I'm going to time it so I can have some soft shell crab but not die of the reaction
Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 07:04 am
Lobster, steamers (with lots of butter) - expensive dry white wine (that is the first course); then the most tender filet (meduim rare) with asparagus and holindaise sauce over it and an expensive red wine (second course); then perhaps a small rack of lamb (meduim rare) with a cabernet wine sauce and another nice expensive red wine; if there is room after that maybe some jumbo shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce for desert and another expensive white wine; I would fit in some other favorites like Mahi Mahi or crab or calamari (all paired with the most expensive wines).

Might as well die fat and drunk - but at least it will be all high quality stuff.
Miller

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 10:17 am
@Linkat,
For Me and my gut...

Southern fried chicken
Side dish of onion rings
Side dish of French Fries
2 giant dill pickles
Large tossed salad with Ranch dressing
2-3 bottles ice cold "Golden Molson" beer.

( one alka seltzer for later on...)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 10:51 am
I am curious that so many of us go for rich food. Long ago I was reading an account that had a bunch of high power chefs when asked this question almost always went for simple and humble, like bread and butter or pasta and a simple sauce (though I recall one said " A thick gorgeous steak, cooked perfectly....nothing else), and almost always with a dreamy wine.

Maybe because so many of us during life deny ourselves rich food, and these chefs work with it every day..........
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Appetizer:
To eat: fried calamari with a red tomato sauce;
To drink: a tall bottle of Lambic beer (their the size of wine bottles).
First course:
To eat: three slices of cheese pizza with onions and mushrooms;
To Drink: the best bottle of plum wine I can find.
Second course:
A massive bowl of mushroom and cheese ravioli and tomato sauce;
To Drink: two or three bottles of Ginger beer.
Dessert course:
I'll throw a two darts at a board with the following options:
Tiramisu
Baklava
Haagen Daaz ice cream
Cheesecake

To drink: I'll make a five gallon punchbowl of Kahlua heavy White Russians.

I'll bingewatch as many seasons of The Simpsons I can grab.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 11:22 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Lobster, steamers (with lots of butter) - expensive dry white wine (that is the first course); then the most tender filet (meduim rare) with asparagus and holindaise sauce over it and an expensive red wine (second course); then perhaps a small rack of lamb

Most of us would all be screwed to find that god (if she exists) is a lobster, a cow, a lamb, or a rabbit. The most delicious meats out there. Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 11:45 am
Depends on my mood that day.

If it's today - I'd like porchetta alla Perugina, cooked just right as described in the Romagnoli's Table cookbook.

But first, a carciofo alla Giudia to nibble on and some chilled Santa Christina Orvieto Campogrande to sip.
A small plate of roast sweet red peppers at the side, another small plate of roast spicy eggplant.
Some venezuana pate with toast points (let's have my own mixed wheat and seed sourdough, eh?)
Small dish of marinated very fresh anchovies.

A small bowl of soup next - potato leek and cream.

After a bit (conversation with friends) a good red and the porchetta, please. What good red? Oh, a Heitz Cabernet of my memory or some esteemed Barolo to try for fun. At this point I'd like some San Pellegrino in a water glass near by.
A plate of fresh asparagus with olive oil and lemon, and one of deep fried zucchini flowers stuffed with different cheeses - mozzarella bufula, goat cheese, and some with ricotta.

For dessert, gelato run from Giolitti gelateria to me, oh, cocco, cioccolata, e nocciola.
For coffee, un macchiato.

Sometime later, an amaro digestivo. I'll try the Varnelli amaro sibilla, complex, bitter, and nutty, that will fit the scene. If I hate it, I'll pour it out and have some Amaro montenegro, which I know I like.

If it's tomorrow, I might just want toast with butter and a small pot of great coffee.

Another day, I might just want the gyogi from our local small pan asian restaurant, and iced tea.

Must wait and see.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
To far to drive to the Inn at Little Washington and besides, if the damn meteorite were coming and everyone knew about it, there wouldn't be a soul in the place. SOO, Ive changed my mind. Now I only want about 200 steamed Va cherrystone clams with melted sweet butter and a pitcher of frosty Chesterfield Ale.
No dessert. PUHLEEZE.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
To far to drive to the Inn at Little Washington and besides, if the damn meteorite were coming and everyone knew about it, there wouldn't be a soul in the place

to include employees. The question assumes that one can cook, and that they either have the ingredients around the house or else run out to get them before the shops close forever.

I get to use my restaurant as a commissary Mr. Green
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 02:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Depends on my mood that day.

If it's today - I'd like porchetta alla Perugina, cooked just right as described in the Romagnoli's Table cookbook.

You Osso are clearly the most professional level foodie here. Thanks for playing the ringer and humbling us all. Embarrassed

I shall fall on my butter knife in ritual hari kari now out of reverence for your super gourmet sensibilities. Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

No dessert. PUHLEEZE.

You'd still be worrying about your cholesterol intake? Shocked I'll eat your dessert then. I'll make that sacrifice Farmerman. Out of sheer love. I'll eat my way to sainthood!http://i.imdb.com/Photos/CMSIcons/emoticons/basic2/aura.gif
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 02:25 pm
@tsarstepan,
I haven't had a meal like that in, say, 25 years, but I'm a mad food reader.
Besides, as a meal it's sort of goofy - just things I might like.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 04:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
I don't want to kill the experience of the steamed clams with any desserts.

Clams n beer , that's all
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 04:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
I could never cook the way they prepare the food at the Inn at Little Washington. Its my second favorite restaurant on the planet.