What Would YOU choose as Your Last Meal

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 05:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I could never cook the way they prepare the food at the Inn at Little Washington. Its my second favorite restaurant on the planet.
My fav place is Cafe Roka in Bisbee AZ, a tiny used to be copper mining town. Your place sounds a lot like my place.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I could never cook the way they prepare the food at the Inn at Little Washington. Its my second favorite restaurant on the planet.

Ok - I need to ask - then why in the heck are you choosing your second favorite restaurant on the planet to have your last meal? Logically one would want their very top number one place to eat as their last meal.
firefly

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 11:05 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Let's say that you get one days notice that an asteroid will kill all of us humans, you will have to eat one last meal at some point, what do you choose?

Quite honestly, in that situation, I don't think I'd have much of an appetite, or any great enthusiasm for thinking about what I'd like to eat.
Quote:
Long ago I was reading an account that had a bunch of high power chefs when asked this question almost always went for simple and humble, like bread and butter or pasta and a simple sauce (though I recall one said " A thick gorgeous steak, cooked perfectly....nothing else), and almost always with a dreamy wine.

Maybe because so many of us during life deny ourselves rich food, and these chefs work with it every day..........

Or maybe it's just because they realize their state of mind might be akin to mine under such circumstances. If there was ever a need for simple basic "comfort food"--"like bread and butter or pasta and a simple sauce"--that would likely be the time for it.

I might be able to manage some pasta, with a simple garlic and oil sauce, generously studded with large chunks of steamed lobster and oven roasted asparagus, although I'd be quite willing to just settle for a dreamy wine and some good bread and butter.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 11:57 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Quite honestly, in that situation, I don't think I'd have much of an appetite, or any great enthusiasm for thinking about what I'd like to eat.
I was just trying to come up with some situation where there would be time to prepare and enjoy a last meal, knowing it is your last meal......but I am curious, what would you rather do with your last day? Eat, drink, **** would all make my priority list, what would be yours?
firefly

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I was just trying to come up with some situation where there would be time to prepare and enjoy a last meal, knowing it is your last meal...

The problem is, I'm not sure I'd really enjoy a meal, any meal, knowing it would definitely be my last. To really enjoy a meal, you have to have an appetite. I'm rather sure mine would be gone if doom was inevitable and imminent.

I often wonder how those on death row could manage to put away that last meal.

Had you simply asked what I might choose for my ideal meal, I'd probably still be trying to sort through all the delicious possibilities, and salivating as I thought about them.
Quote:
what would you rather do with your last day? Eat, drink, **** would all make my priority list, what would be yours?

Make love, consume lots of dreamy wine, listen to great music, and enjoy a simple pasta meal, all with a man I love--I'd want to celebrate being alive, feeling joy, and I'd want it to be a shared experience. I would want to be so consumed by pleasurable feelings that I wouldn't care, or even think about, what was coming next.

Our priority lists aren't all that different. Eating just wouldn't rank high on mine.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 05:21 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The problem is, I'm not sure I'd really enjoy a meal, any meal, knowing it would definitely be my last. To really enjoy a meal, you have to have an appetite

This surprises me given your obvious appetite at Wassau's place.

I figure I would be like in the movie Casablanca in Paris the last hours before the Germans come in.... consume everything possible while it can still provide enjoyment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:01 pm
@Linkat,
My first fav restaurant is in a country that I swore I would NEVER EVER set foot in again.
Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
What? Don't you mean who?
My last meal will be warm and moist containing nothing artificial with not a speck of cereal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 09:38 pm
@ehBeth,
I think I'm switching out roast beef for the lamb stew.

Just read something in a Nora Ephron book about a meal involving roast beef and potato pancakes. It will work well with the rest of my meal Smile
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:16 am
@farmerman,
Now what if you could go to this country to avoid the asteriod. All else would be destroyed aside from this country and your favorite restaurant.
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:26 am
@Linkat,
HMMM, Im thinking.
NOPE, I think Ill take the fiery death by meteor strike.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:34 am
@ehBeth,
Since discussing olives with you yesterday, I'm nonplussed by realizing I didn't add a selection of olives I like to the appetizer part of my meal. Good grief!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 09:23 am
@farmerman,
well at least you would get your second favorite..
0 Replies