Does cloning threaten religion?

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 12:42 pm
The thesis of religion is that god created everything. Does cloning threaten that thesis? c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,430 • Replies: 55
No top replies

husker

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 12:55 pm
Does cloning threaten religion - Nope IMO
Does cloning cloud moral positions - yes in a sense - if your talking about the destruction of life and place some value on human life
Does it disappoint God - Yes
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 01:21 pm
Oh, for the good old days of yesteryear.

I think we are in for an upcoming change in religion anyway, at least that appears obvious to me. But, what business is cloning to religion? My take, at least for today:

God created our soul, or spirit (I'm not sure of the difference). So, we may wonder just WHAT or who will animate (live) the body of one that is cloned? I would think it would be the same, but who can say? A body with a brain, but no "mind?" I think most of us have noticed by now there is a vastness above us, out there somewhere to which we are connected.

Is that worse than a body that is incomplete or freskish such as the sheep cloned, but with the spirit/soul within? The latter, I would hope, but it does seem horribly cruel. But, babies are born every day with genetic diseases, parents love them.....

Don't you think we all should have been allowed to VOTE on this issue of creating life ourselvesk, or something?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:15 pm
Tex, "God created our souls or spirit?" I always thought our genes and our environment had something to do with it. c.i.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:18 pm
In the Christian religion, it is God that gives you your soul.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:36 pm
I've heard people say clones wouldn't have a soul. I don't agree. A clone would be as much a human as you or me, and they would have as much a 'soul' as you or me have.

Nonetheless, I think genetic manipulation and cloning of humans is a bad idea. Diversity is important for survival of a species. Every individual has genetic weaknesses and strengths; and we can't possibly know the consequences of increasing/decreasing genes in the species population.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:37 pm
Re: Does cloning threaten religion?
cicerone imposter wrote:
The thesis of religion is that god created everything. Does cloning threaten that thesis? c.i.

Which Religion(s) are you referring to?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:43 pm
As many as that makes the claim. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with all the religions of the world. c.i.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:49 pm
Are identical twins not clones?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:51 pm
I believe that it will cause some people to question, and that questioning might just have the effect of threatening organized religion.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:54 pm
Homo sapiens. Cloning implies diversification of the human reproductive mechanisms, and not creation of the new biologic species by means of sorcery. Therefore, IMHO, it does not contradict religion in its creational aspect. It may contradict ethical rules if cloning is used for evil purposes; but, I want to remind that any human invention may be used for both positive and negative things. Axe may be used for building a cabin, and the same tool can be a weapon of a murderer (for example, it was used for such a purpose in Dostoyevsky's novel "Crime and Punishment" ).
0 Replies

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 02:57 pm
In the Genesis account of Adam and Eve, Adam is made by God's own hands, whereas Eve was made from Adam - no cloning was required in the beginning.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:05 pm
Of course, God used another tools of creation, different from these we can employ (maybe, evolution was one of the God's instruments, who knows).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:44 pm
Does cloning threaten religion? In what way? Religion is so filled with contradictions what is one more? People who believe will continue to believe and the rest of us will continue to be skeptics.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:46 pm
If god created man's soul, but man is able to clone a human 'with a soul,' isn't there a conflict? c.i.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:53 pm
The Bible doesn't state that man has a soul, it does say, however, that he became a living soul.

Genesis 2:7 "And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 03:57 pm
c.i.
That is easy to explain. God had a few spare souls in reserve just for that purpose. You wouldn't drive a car without a spare. That's being sacrilegious.
I had a friend who was a religious Catholic and when I used to bait him with statements such as that he would move away from me. He was sure I would be struck by lightening sent from heaven
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 04:02 pm
The Cloning Cat is out of the bag, and ain't goin' back in, period. Religion has no choice but to come to terms, though the process may take several if not many generations. Religions's wishes in the matter are ultimately irrelevant, albeit currently bothersome.

timber
0 Replies

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 04:06 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Religions's wishes in the matter are ultimately irrelevant, albeit currently bothersome.

It's nice to see that you value other people's opinions and that you're keeping an open mind. Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2002 04:21 pm
Bib, I enjoy your ability to twist the ideas by the words you use, but the essense is still the same. Without a biological body, the "soul" does not exist. Ergo, god made body has a soul, but manmade body has no soul. c.i.
0 Replies