Mahmoud Abbas' Son on the One-State Solution

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 07:40 pm
Found this interesting:

A Divide Among Palestinians on a Two-State Solution
By JODI RUDORENMARCH 18, 2014

RAMALLAH, West Bank — When President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority visited the White House this week, he again heard dire warnings that the current moment could be the last chance for a two-state solution through negotiations with Israel.

Back home in Ramallah, Mr. Abbas’s own son has been telling him that last chance is already long gone, the negotiations futile. The son, Tareq Abbas, a businessman who has long shied away from politics and spotlights, is part of a swelling cadre of prominent Palestinians advocating instead the creation of a single state stretching from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean Sea in which Jews and Arabs would all be citizens with equal rights.

“If you don’t want to give me independence, at least give me civil rights,” Mr. Abbas, 48, said in a rare interview at his well-appointed apartment here as his father headed to Washington. “That’s an easier way, peaceful way. I don’t want to throw anything, I don’t want to hate anybody, I don’t want to shoot anybody. I want to be under the law.”

President Abbas, in a separate interview last month, said Israel’s continued construction in West Bank settlements made it impossible to convince Tareq that the two-state solution was still viable.

“I said, ‘Look, my son, we are looking for two-state solution and this is the only one.’ He said, ‘Oh, my father, where is your state? I wander everywhere and I see blocks everywhere, I see houses everywhere,' ” the elder Mr. Abbas, 78, recalled. “I say, ‘Please, my son, this is our position, we will not go for one state.’ He says, ‘This is your right to say this, and this is my right to say that.’ Because he is desperate. He doesn’t find any sign for the future that we will get a two-state solution, because on the ground he doesn’t see any different.”

Such intergenerational arguments have become commonplace in the salons of Palestinian civil society and at kitchen tables across the West Bank as the children and grandchildren of the founders of the Palestinian national movement increasingly question its goals and tactics.

In a December poll by the Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research, 65 percent of people over 50 said they supported the two-state solution, compared with 47 percent of those 18 to 34. Khalil Shikaki, the center’s director, said that about a third of all Palestinians expressed interest in the one-state alternative, but that its backing among those under 45 is more solid and “cannot be satisfied by a two-state solution.”

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/19/world/middleeast/a-divide-among-palestinians-on-a-two-state-solution.html?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,325 • Replies: 3
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 10:34 am
Yeah, I was looking for the One-State Solution thread to post a comment on that NYTimes article.

The Two-State Solution is a farce.

The generational divide in regard to the Palestinian struggle is being demonstrated within the very family of the President of the State of Palestine.

The fight for human and civil rights in Palestine would be an easier approach than a call for a separate state, and one that the Zionists won't be able to brush-off as easily, although I anticipate that they would rationalize a continuation of their repression of the Palestinian peoples as a response to any acts of violence perpetrated by the militant Palestinians.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 11:18 am
@InfraBlue,
I'll try to read that this weekend..
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2014 01:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
I totally agree. The two-state solution is long long gone. The current "negotiations" are as fake as they can be.
0 Replies