Can the MA Dept of Families & Children get more f'd up?

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:01 am
The state took custody of Pelletier after a diagnostic dispute arose between doctors at Tufts Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital over the causes of her medical problems, including difficulty eating and walking. Tufts doctors were treating her for mitochondrial disease, but physicians at Children’s said her symptoms were largely psychiatric in origin.

The girls’ parents rejected that diagnosis, and when they attempted to have Justina moved from Children’s to Tufts, the Children’s medical team notified the state that they suspected the parents of medical child abuse.

Pelletier remained at Children’s for almost a year, most of the time in a locked psychiatric ward, and the case gained national attention.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/parents-hail-small-victory-sick-justina-pelletier/story?id=22766417

This is just another mess up within this organization - considering they cannot locate a 5 year old boy for months - found out when his 7 year old sister told the school that her mother’s boyfriend was abusing her and that she had not seen her little brother for months. The social worker handling Jeremiah’s case failed to complete routine home visits since the prior summer. Not to mention the number of children that died while in this care.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2014 09:19 am
I feel for this poor family - a judge gave custody to the state.

I mean this is the difference between two qualified medical institutions having a different opinion on how to handle her medical treatments - it isn't like some parents that willy nilly have decided some odd ball treatment on their own. Seeing they were having success with one treatment and another institution decides otherwise. Seems very odd seeing our MA Dept of Families and Children usually give custody to parents that are on drugs and have abused their children and here are parents that are willing and able to help their child.

"A report from the Boston Globe said Massachusetts Juvenile Court Judge Joseph Johnston awarded custody of Pelletier to the state. This means the agency will get to “decide whether or when Pelletier should be returned to her West Hartford, Conn., home.” The report also indicated that Pelletier’s parents will not be allowed to appeal the decision until summer."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2014/03/25/justina-pelletier-placed-permanent-custody-massachusetts/lMO3EJpwPOfiVJWu06IY5K/story.html

I usually donate to Boston Children's - I am no longer going to donate to them and am now wary of bringing my children there is need be.

Miller

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:35 am
@Linkat,
This looks like one big messed up case.

First of all consider the cost of hospitalization of this child, who's spent at least one year in a Massachusetts Hospital. At a cost of $1000+/day, the cost to the taxpayers of Massachusetts is at LEAST $365,000 and most likely even more.

Next, is the patient a resident of Massachusetts of Cont? if the latter, why isn't she being rteated in Conn?

If the child has a mitochondrial disease, medical and scientific data can and should be presented to support the hospital's case.

As far as mental issues are concerned, these disorders could easily be considered as by-products of her pre-existing mitochondrial disease.

Treatment at Tuft's NE Medical center? I know they have the Floating Hospital for Infants, by do they really treat pediatric patients older than 10-12 year of age, there?

As of this writing, the child is now in foster care in Massachusetts.

Think of all of the above, when you're filling out your 2013 tax forms for Massachusetts this year.

The hospitals are getting rich and the patient just idles Sad.
0 Replies

Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:39 pm
There is no way anyone can reach an informed opinion based on what little information we have. I'm curious to see what compelling medical evidence the judge saw that lead to him granting custody to the state.
Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 05:37 am
@Benson-In-A-Box,
Maybe not these particular articles - but this has been all over the news, the parents have been on various news/TV, etc.

The big thing here is - Tufts, another well respected hospital had diagnosed the child already. The child was simply going to Children's because of a flu. They also have an older daughter diagnosed with the same problem and has been doing wonderfully with Tufts. It is a genetic disease so makes sense that the other daughter would have the same thing especially after being treated at ano

ther respected hospital.

It is simply that Children's disagrees with the diagnosis. Is that a reason to take the child away? The child was thriving with being treated by Tufts and with her parents. Once she got into the hands of Children's she has gone down hill.

I could understand if you were bringing the child to a voodoo doctor or having her treated by some alternative medicine from some unknown doctor --- but this is a well known hospital with respected doctors.

Parents are not allowed to get a second opinion? This is basically taking the rights of the parents away because one hospital disagrees with another.

Simply do a search with the child's name and you will get a wealth of information. Also do a search of children being taken away from parents due to medical issues and you will be shocked at some of the things that happen. This is not an isolated case.
Miller

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 09:13 am
@Benson-In-A-Box,
Benson-In-A-Box wrote:

There is no way anyone can reach an informed opinion based on what little information we have. I'm curious to see what compelling medical evidence the judge saw that lead to him granting custody to the state.

Since the Judge is neither an MD nor a PHD, how could he/she possibly evalutate the evidence presented in an informed manner.
Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:02 pm
@Miller,
I don't know. That's part of the reason I'm curious. Too bad HIPPA and various other privacy laws don't make exceptions for curiosity. Laughing
0 Replies

Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:06 pm
@Linkat,
Read this and let me what you think if you wouldn't mind. It's a nice summary from a what I think is a fairly neutral perspective.

EDIT: Here's the follow up. I think it's worthwhile read as well.
Linkat

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 10:53 am
@Benson-In-A-Box,
I read this - of course it is a controversy- but unless it is proven that her parents are "medically abusing"her DCF should not be taking a child away from parents. It kills me because if you know anything of MA DCF, they tend to side to the point of leaving children with parents that are clearly abusive - parents that take drugs, etc.

The other side that bothers me - is there is another children's hospital that is very respected in Boston that says otherwise. I think, if there was not already another diagnosis from another respected institution, then why remove the child from the parents?

This is saying by a judge that Children's is right and Tufts is not -- these diagnosis are not clear cut as your support states. So why would you take a child from their parents in this case?

At least have a third institution give a determination.

This is also not the first time that Children's Hospital has done this.
roger

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 10:55 am
@Linkat,
Agree completely.
0 Replies

Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:

I read this - of course it is a controversy- but unless it is proven that her parents are "medically abusing"her DCF should not be taking a child away from parents. It kills me because if you know anything of MA DCF, they tend to side to the point of leaving children with parents that are clearly abusive - parents that take drugs, etc.

Can we definitively assert there is no proof given the information available?

I'm not familiar with MA DCF. Alabama's Department of Children's Affairs sounds much the same.
Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:14 pm
Missed the timeframe to edit my above post.

I'll admit that it looks bad on the surface. I'm merely assuming the role of devil's advocate. I am a healthcare professional at a Children's hospital, so I'll also admit that I may be approaching this topic with bias.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2014 08:18 am
@Benson-In-A-Box,
Benson-In-A-Box wrote:

Quote:

Can we definitively assert there is no proof given the information available?

I'm not familiar with MA DCF. Alabama's Department of Children's Affairs sounds much the same.

Then if there is no proof either way on the diagnosis then why would DCF remove the child from their family? Removing a child from their family supposed to be when there is proof of abuse - assuming because a child is upset when their mom comes in - is far from proof.
Benson-In-A-Box

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:37 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Then if there is no proof either way on the diagnosis then why would DCF remove the child from their family? Removing a child from their family supposed to be when there is proof of abuse - assuming because a child is upset when their mom comes in - is far from proof.

That's not what I asked. I'll rephrase.

You're assuming there is no proof. How do you know the judge did not see something in the medical records that constitutes medical child abuse or confirms BCH's diagnosis of somatoform disorder?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2014 05:58 pm
http://www.lifenews.com/2014/04/17/justina-pelletiers-family-not-allowed-to-visit-their-daughter-on-easter-sunday/

Quote:

The family of Justina Pelletier will not be allowed to visit their daughter on Easter Sunday. The news comes after attorneys working with her family released a letter Justina reportedly wrote saying she is not being treated well.

Jennifer Pelletier, Justina’s oldest sister, alerted supported of Justina on the family’s Facebook page: “There are 75 young people in the Wayside Youth Facility. 74 of them will be able to spend Easter Sunday with their families. The one who will not is Justina Pelletier!”

justinapelletier5Responding to the decision, the family has decided to hold an Easter Sunday service outside the youth facility that is holding Justina. From the event page on Facebook:

We invite you to join us at an Easter Service for Justina Pelletier on Sunday, April 20, from 3:00-4:00 P.M. at Wayside Youth and Family Residence in Framingham, Massachusetts.

Justina Pelletier was unjustly taken from her family 14 months ago by Massachusetts DCF and has not been allowed to attend a church service on Christmas Eve, Christmas or Easter last year. She also has not be educated one day in over a year in spite of the fact the “American’s with Disabilities Act” requires it.

Since Justina has not be allowed to attend church service, members of her family, loved ones and caring citizens will come together outside of Wayside Youth and Family Residence for an Easter Service to celebrate the joy and power of Easter and stand in solidarity with Justina.

Please join us this Sunday for an “Easter Service for Justina” on Sunday, April 20, from 3:00-4:00 P.M. We cannot be silent on this issue!

Pro-life activist Steve Elliott, who has been supporting the family, is upset by the news that Justina’s family will not be allowed to celebrate Easter Sunday with her.

“This madness has gone on long enough. Clearly, the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families is forcing the Pelletiers to live by a different set of rules. They’re denying a sick 15-year-old access to her family, religious services and education despite there being NO evidence that Justina has been harmed by her family members,” he said.

“Please call Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick at (617) 725-4005. Tell him you’re outraged that he has failed to use his power as chief executive of the state to release Justina from DCF’s custody and reunite her with her parents, sisters and family doctors,” he added.
Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 06:54 am
@gungasnake,
I received a donation request from Boston Children's Hospital in the mail just recently. Actually it isn't a regular donation request - but one where you fill it out to have Boston Children's in your will.

The donation card is on my desk -- I am debating sending it in with a note about this issue and my thoughts on their participation. Maybe something along the lines not even over my dead cold body....

I have donated to them in the past and I am a bit torn as they do good work with children -- I know people who have gone to this hospital -- but I just cannot give money under the circumstances.
gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 08:05 am
@Linkat,
I'd send them a note telling them that not only are you withholding donations, but are advising friends and family to do so as well.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 08:01 pm
@Linkat,
http://www.lifenews.com/2014/04/21/justina-pelletiers-father-says-her-health-is-failing-she-doesnt-have-much-longer/

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 08:04 pm
@Benson-In-A-Box,
Benson-In-A-Box wrote:
How do you know the judge did not see something in the medical records that constitutes medical child abuse or confirms BCH's diagnosis of somatoform disorder?

excellent question.

hospitals/treating practitioners often get caught in a bind. They're legally unable to comment on a patient's care - can't counter the arguments made by people who do not have the same legal gags.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2014 08:11 pm
@Benson-In-A-Box,
I think the second link was particularly helpful to understanding a tiny bit more about some of the factors involved. The judge certainly can't reveal much but there were some pretty broad hints provided by the decision.
0 Replies