Scheduling NYS Road Test question? Please help.

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 08:29 pm
I'm 16 years old and have had a Class DJ Learner's Permit since November 4, 2013. Since then, my parents and I have become confident enough in my driving ability (after hours and hours of driving at night, in snow, in heavy traffic, on highways, and receiving driving lessons) that my parents are allowing me to obtain and earn a Class DJ Junior License in May (6 months after obtaining my permit originally). I'm aware of the restrictions of this license in Nassau County; I will only be utilizing it to drive myself to and from work daily.

Today I've completed a 5 hour pre-licensing course and obtained a MV-278 form which allows me to schedule a NYS road test. I'm fully aware that my first eligible road test date is May 4, 2014 (6 months after 11/04/13), but the problem I've had thus far is scheduling the appointment without running into issues. Apparently the system is blocking me from even scheduling a road test due to that fact that I've only had my permit for 4.5 months. I don't understand the logic in this; why am I not able to schedule my road test as early as I can so that I can avoid the common 4-6 week waiting period? It completely defeats the whole purpose of being able to obtain my license 6 months after obtaining a permit. I know many will say that I should remain patient but it is very difficult considering I work 25 hours a week and have no transportation to/from work requiring me to pay for expensive LI cabs and even walk an hour and a half in either direction to and from my workplace. I'm getting sick and tired of walking in the cold and paying my whole pay check just to get to work.

Is there anyway I can schedule my road test for the soonest available date right now (May 4 and beyond) without having to actually wait until May 4? I find the whole system counter intuitive and illogical for me to be required to wait until that date just to be able to schedule it and then be required to wait another month to month and a half following that.

Any tips or insight would be incredibly appreciated!

-Anthony
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 05:49 am
@NYYankees1237,
Go down there in person and bypass their online system entirely. I know it's a line and I know it's a pain, but a human will be able to figure this out, or at least you'll be able to talk to a supervisor. And check around; there are probably some sites that are better than others. I seem to remember Wantagh always used to be good, but I did my road test back in '81.
http://dmv.ny.gov/about-dmv/dmv-road-test-sites-county#n

Also check as there might even be an app that tells you how long the wait times are at various DMVs. And if there isn't one, make your fortune writing one.

Even though you're a Yankee fan .... Wink
0 Replies