Dumb wiring question

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:29 pm
I'm the first to admit that I am quite electrical illiterate, so bare with me. I am trying to add some interior lighting in a boat. There is a factory toggle switch labeled 'courtesy lights' which turns on a small light fixture. I intended to just add wiring to this existing light fixture and run it to a few more places with some new low-voltage LED lights I bought. I bought a spool of 18/2 wire as suggested, planned out how to run the wiring, and where the new lights would go. Under the console I found where the wires ran from the toggle switch to a connection with the factory light. I simply unhooked those connections, added the new red wire to the red, and the new black wire to the other black wire. I only tried connecting the first light before going further with the rest of them - I have nothing. The factory light works but not the new one. I tested the new light with a 9v battery (as suggested) and it works. I've checked for a secure connection (multiple times). There must be something stupid I am missing. I've gone back out there 3 times and just cant figure it out. Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:38 pm
Tested with a battery so it's DC. Tried reversing the connection?
fasttrack27

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:02 am
@Wilso,
Yup, sure did. More info: the brief instructions included has a diagram showing (+) wire running from 12v battery to a switch then to the new light, and a (-) wire from battery straight to new light. It then shows additional new lights continuing from there (parallel?) black to black, red to red. (Each of these led lights have about an 18" red/black lead wire). Since I am adding to existing wiring, which varies from the instructions, maybe it has something to do with the difference in the (-) wiring? Maybe buy some more wire so I can run a (-) straight from battery to the first new light, and not use the black wire from existing fixture?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:18 pm
Without seeing a diagram, I can't see any problem with your original description of how you're wiring them. In the same situation, I'd wire the first new light as you described, turn the circuit on, put a voltage tester on the new one, and see if there's power there.
Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:26 pm
@Wilso,
perk? voltage tester? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...
0 Replies