I'm apolitical, I'll eat anything.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:27 pm
Or would that be 'swallow'...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:28 pm
Incidentally, ehBeth, how about The Dim Sum Shop sometime towards the end of May?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:31 pm
sometime after Victoria Day?
if so - SOLD!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
Sounds good.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:44 pm
Hey! wait a minute! wait a goldarned minute!
that would be another food-based get-together.
We need to think of something less liberal.

I'm stumped.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:52 pm
No we don't, cjhsa won't make it anyway. Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 06:56 pm
Wasn't there a couple of texas gatherings?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:21 pm
My guess is because, in general, Liberals are simply friendlier, more out-going, and actually like their fellow man, ergo, they socialize more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:51 pm
Well, effen we do this again in t.o., an' i'm there, i want to go eat conservative . . . say, Ampeli Taverna for some lamb, pastistos, saganaki, pitas with a tzatziki platter, pastistos, some chicken, spanikopita, pastisos . . . none a that librul fare, some good, solid, 'Merican food?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:39 pm
So I found a new place in my small town, jamaican food, which I have to say, on a scale of 100, I wouldn't ratchet up re nuance, but relative to the food generally available here, it was an unfolding leaf leaning to heaven. Or something.

Real food, and they even used free range chicken. Seats were a little low, I am not a short woman and my chin wasn't too high above the table. But still, I wish them well and will even go back.

Gee, we talk on and on about the gatherings, any a2kers who are close by are invited instantly. Those far away have to buy tickets.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
set, with that menu, I feel that you , like your namesake, will show tht youre good at 'Hurling'
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:30 am
As always, it's all about the food.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:32 am
farmerman wrote:
set, with that menu, I feel that you , like your namesake, will show tht youre good at 'Hurling'

Good idea, FM, then i could hie on down to Pearl Court, and load up on dim sum . . .
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
The most Republican restaurant in Houston might be Fogo de Chao, which is a regional chain of Brazilian meathouses.

What, you ask quizzically, is a Brazilian meathouse?

Well, 'steakhouse' would be clearer, but it's really not a steakhouse, since they don't actually serve steaks but rather have waiters dressed as gauchos carry haunches of cooked meat through the dining room, inviting you to have a piece sliced off (by them; they carry carving knives as sidearms) to eat.

At any time at least ten or twelve men are parading through the restaurant carrying hindquarters of various kinds of beef, or pork, or lamb, or chicken.

There's no menu; it's prix-fixe and all you can eat. You literally have to say no several times before they stop offering you food.

There's a impressive salad bar in the center of the room, with beefsteak tomatoes the size of a center sliced watermelon, mozzarella balls as large as boiled eggs, asparagus spears rivaling the length of the steak knives, and...well, you get the picture.

Without the silverware it would be as close to Neanderthal dining as one could find in this day.

The customers are mostly rich fat white men with their trophy wives or girlfriends, drinking bourbon and branch and laughing out loud at their good fortune.

Overindulgent, overconfident, and a bit exciting and revolting all at the same time.

Perhaps as a Conservative Gathering would be...? :wink:

(edit: fixed a typo)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:49 am
You mean in Texas they don't just shoot the animal, skin it, and slap it on your plate? Wink
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
shoot it?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:07 am
Ah, Dys likes his steaks extra rare? Wink
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm...food in London though...not so good, unless you are willing to pay top dollar for Marco Pierre White, or one of Nico's places....it must be an underground hotbed of conservatives.

Or you visit Pete's Kitchen! Laughing

Edit - you'll find good food at mine AND my attitudes are distinctly liberal by 'Murican standards.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:25 am
Dys' steaks are known to have been saved by very skilled veterinarians...

Tip for non-liberal gatherings-- just get smashed in your local country club. Forget the food. Drunk

Edited typo
0 Replies