Blown up over the ocean? sunk to the bottom of the ocean? stollen or hijacked?

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:31 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
They put this thing under many times the stresses that any crash could expose it to, and the guts of it came out ticking like a good Swiss watch.

Its almost an industry piece of black humor that is, and I paraphrase;

"why don't they make the plane the same way they do the damn black box"
Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:57 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
They put this thing under many times the stresses that any crash could expose it to, and the guts of it came out ticking like a good Swiss watch.

Its almost an industry piece of black humor that is, and I paraphrase;

"why don't they make the plane the same way they do the damn black box"

Somebody said the exact same thing to me today (lunchtime at work).
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 09:20 pm
Of the theories I've read, this one is most interesting:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2508735/pg1
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 09:25 pm
Gunga, can I suggest you go onto Youtube, and search for a channel called "Russianvids". They are your people. You would fit in with them perfectly. A match made in heaven if ever there was one.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:32 am
@rosborne979,
I don't know. Maybe when the ACARS is switched off there is still a battery-backed circuit that transmits a 'filler'. at the appropriate times ?

Joe(wild ass guess)Nation
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:40 am
The way I'd love for this to end would be with the pilots at one point contacting Beijing airport and saying, "Beijing, this is MH370 on final."

And then when landed...have the crew and passengers all say the flight was completely normal from their perspective...and that they have no idea of why people not on the plane saw them as missing. (With Twilight Zone music and Rod Serling involved in some way.)
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 08:51 am
Oh great, it turns out the pilot was a muslim/atheist/gay!

From Huffington News:-

Missing Malaysia Plane's Pilot Supported Anwar Ibrahim, Posted Atheist Videos On YouTube
Major national papers, including the Daily Mail and the New York Daily News, have called Zaharie a "fanatical" and "devout" supporter of Anwar, who was recently jailed for five years for sodomy.
Other reports have called Zaharie a "devout Muslim", but his YouTube channel shows he had recently subscribed to the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science channel, and 'liked' several videos about atheism,
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/18/mh370-pilot-fanatic-muslim_n_4984686.html
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:13 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
I don't know. Maybe when the ACARS is switched off there is still a battery-backed circuit that transmits a 'filler'. at the appropriate times ?
From what I've read ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Communications_Addressing_and_Reporting_System#Datalink_message_types ) the ACARS repeatedly pings its connections (Satellite in this case) but it only transmits its data if it's been configured to transmit the data. It also has several types of data that it can transmit.

In this case the ACARS sent actual DATA at 1:07am. It was supposed to send something again at 1:37am, but all it did was ping. In between those times the copilot said GoodNight and the Transponder was disabled (whether by antenna failure or cockpit switch we don't know).
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:15 am
Quote:
Rosborne said: Somehow in the confusion they got the plane into a steep climb and went to 45k feet (reported by radar) before losing consciousness.
Romeo said: I thought airliners were pressurised so people could breathe?
JoeNation said: They are pressurized, but airplanes can suffer 'a loss of cabin pressure'. Surely, Romeo, you have listened to the speech the flight attendants make before every flight

Yeah but why would simply climbing to 45,000 feet make the air leak out of the passenger cabin and black out the passengers? The cabin wouldn't spring a leak would it, and even if it did, oxygen masks would drop down like people said earlier in this thread.

Incidentally, regarding no mobile phone messages being received from passengers, I'm no expert but what sort of range do mob phones have?
rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yeah but why would simply climbing to 45,000 feet make the air leak out of the passenger cabin and black out the passengers?

All by itself it wouldn't. But I was using a scenario in which there was structural damage (a hole in the plane) at the onset of the "event" (whatever that was).

The oxygen masks would still drop down, but at that altitude nobody would stay conscious for more than a few minutes anyway. Which is why the pilots are supposed to immediately bring the plane down to a safer altitude (before they too pass out).

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Incidentally, regarding no mobile phone messages being received from passengers, I'm no expert but what sort of range do mob phones have?

Yes, I need to update this section of my scenario. Turns out mobil phones do have a very limited range especially when a person is on a plane. On 9/11 passengers were able to make calls because the planes were being flow very low over heavily populated land with lots of cell towers. In this case the passengers probably wouldn't have been able to call unless the aircraft made a low pass over land. And one report (unconfirmed of course, like far too many reports in this mystery) says that the aircraft was actually at 45000 feet just as it passed over land which would have been too high for cell contact to work.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:25 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Ha, a muslim atheist, that's pretty funny Smile
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:26 am
@rosborne979,
It would be if Romeo wasn't being serious.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:28 am
Yeah a muslim/atheist/gay pilot sounds like one screwed up mofo, how'd you like to fly with him?..Smile
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:31 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Anyone is preferable to you.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:37 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yeah a muslim/atheist/gay pilot sounds like one screwed up mofo, how'd you like to fly with him?..Smile
Actually none of those things worry me very much. I would be more worried about a Christian Fundie who doesn't understand basic science and believes in Adam and Eve and talking snakes.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:47 am
I bin around..Smile
Here's me bringing in a baby in Flight Sim X-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ExIS/land1.jpg~original
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:51 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Ha, a muslim atheist, that's pretty funny Smile

That sounds like a setup to a great existential joke.

A gay Muslim/Atheist pilot walks into a bar....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:51 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:23 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

I'm sticking with lithium battery fire.
The fire in the cargo hold disables the communication system and fills the cabin and cockpit with smoke.
Pilots manage to get the plane turned and climb to 40-45,000 feet in order to starve the fire on any oxygen.
Unfortunately, the oxygen delivery system for passengers and crew fails right about that same time.
Ghost plane descends to 24,000, all on board are unconscious or dead.
Plane flies until runs out of fuel.

Joe(maybe)Nation

This is similar to another theory I read, about it likely being an electrical fire.

Pilot turns plane toward possible safe landing (long enough runway with no rough terrain, approach over water). Then the crew starts pulling breakers, trying to find the source of the problem, which causes the radios to stop at different times. Finally, they try to starve the fire, but stall out. Crew and passengers overcome by smoke, the autopilot flies until it runs out of fuel....

rosborne979

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:28 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
This is similar to another theory I read, about it likely being an electrical fire.

Pilot turns plane toward possible safe landing (long enough runway with no rough terrain, approach over water). Then the crew starts pulling breakers, trying to find the source of the problem, which causes the radios to stop at different times. Finally, they try to starve the fire, but stall out. Crew and passengers overcome by smoke, the autopilot flies until it runs out of fuel....

The main challenge to any "slow burn" scenario is the lack of communication. If the crew had any time at all to react the first thing they would have done would be to communicate their situation, which they obviously didn't.

To do this, a fire would have had to take out all forms of communication before they crew noticed any problem, and that seems extremely unlikely.