Enlighten ME on How in 2014 a Reported Stolen Passport Still Works

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2014 08:30 pm
At least two on the down 777 today. Come on now, this is 2014, how come these documents are not cancelled globally with a mouse click? This is almost as stupid as stolen cell phones still working because there is no kill switch in place.

Our governments claim that they work, that they are looking out for SAFETY, but then we come across this kind of gross negligence BULLSHIT.

Miller

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 06:03 am
@hawkeye10,
My guess is the stolen passports didn't have the hidden "chip" that US passports now have.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 06:11 am
Quote:
Our governments claim that they work, that they are looking out for SAFETY, but then we come across this kind of gross negligence BULLSHIT.

How are the governments of Italy and Austria your government? When did either of those governments make such a claim to you? This is just typical Whackeye BS--more phony-baloney outrage.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 06:53 am
@hawkeye10,
I was wondering this myself. These passports weren't stolen last week. One was missing for two years. That said, I strongly doubt this was an act of terrorism and I think the press is just speculating to sell papers. Terrorists claim credit for their actions and no one has yet. Right now this is just a tragedy that happened to intersect the use of stolen passports in Asia.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 03:13 pm
@engineer,
Even if it was yesterday I see no excuse for any government taking the document, the issuing government should simply send out a notice that the passport with the number xxxxxxxxxxx is reported stolen and is now invalid, and that should be the end of it. Apparently travelers using stolen passports is common, the only interesting thing here is that there were at least two on a single flight.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2014 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Apparently travelers using stolen passports is common, the only interesting thing here is that there were at least two on a single flight.

two seems a low number, based on what I hear from people in the security business
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 10:55 pm

Is this the only thread about the missing plane?

Quote:
(Reuters) - Satellites picked up faint electronic pulses from Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 after it went missing on Saturday, but the signals gave no information about where the stray jet was heading and little else about its fate, two sources close to the investigation said on Thursday.

But the "pings" indicated its maintenance troubleshooting systems were switched on and ready to communicate with satellites, showing the aircraft, with 239 people on board, was at least capable of communicating after losing touch with air traffic controllers.

The system transmits such pings about once an hour, according to the sources, who said five or six were heard. However, the pings alone are not proof that the plane was in the air or on the ground, the sources said.

. . .

While the troubleshooting systems were functioning, no data links were opened, the sources said, because the companies involved had not subscribed to that level of service from the satellite operator, the sources said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/uk-malaysiaairlines-flight-idUKBREA2701C20140313
trying2learn

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
It is about $$$$$
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Is this the only thread about the missing plane?

the lack of interest here is interesting......but I dont know what to make of it. One of the angles I am interested in is why doesn't the airline have this $200 million piece of equipment lojacked?
oralloy

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
One of the angles I am interested in is why doesn't the airline have this $200 million piece of equipment lojacked?

They might want to try to correlate that "mysterious radar path veering off to the west" with potential surreptitious landing sites, and then look real hard at any place where it was possible to land the thing.

Who would want to steal a 777?

al-Qa'da of course.

Drug smugglers maybe?

Any other probable thieves?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:43 am
@oralloy,
I usually like to speculate but in this case the almost complete lack of information makes this impossible. I am left to bitch about why we have no information. Almost a week later RR still does not know if its engines were running after radar was lost? If the plane is sitting on the ground somewhere the airline seriously has no way to tellx or to find it? Seriously, a few hundred dollars of GPS equipment was all that was needed, even delivery trucks normally are so equipped.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 09:49 am
@hawkeye10,
However, the reason to steal a plane in this location would be for Pakistani terrorists to 9/11 it into a tall building in India. Or maybe a nuclear power plant if India has any.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 10:38 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am left to bitch about why we have no information.

Just imagine how those people feel that have friends and family members on this flight?

The passport thing too is very upsetting -- it would seem in today's world this would be of high importance --- keeping track of lost passports. It seems to me useless to have a passport system if the use of lost passports is so common.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:14 am
@Linkat,
I think that authorities know more than they are saying, that either because they want to catch bad guys or because the threat is not over they are stonewalling the families of the passengers.

We will know soon.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 11:21 am
@hawkeye10,
I was reading that some agency, Interpol I think, had these passport numbers on a stolen list, that if a government had called and asked ABOUT THESE NUMBERS they would have been told.

WTF? This information should be passed out instantly to every national government so that their computers disallow any use of these documents. Why, especially after 9/11, has this threat to our SAFETY! not been dealt with?
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 01:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I was reading that some agency, Interpol I think, had these passport numbers on a stolen list, that if a government had called and asked ABOUT THESE NUMBERS they would have been told.

WTF? This information should be passed out instantly to every national government so that their computers disallow any use of these documents. Why, especially after 9/11, has this threat to our SAFETY! not been dealt with?

In the words of my late great grandmom -- that is just dumb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 02:36 pm
I read days ago that some airlines check interpol and some don't. US and UK and another country (France?) check it a lot re passports and the passenger lists; other governments vary.
I didn't save a link for that, but you can do a search.

Hawkeye, just because people don't start threads doesn't mean they aren't following the situation online, and doesn't mean they have no interest.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 02:55 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I read days ago that some airlines check interpol and some don't. US and UK and another country (France?) check it a lot re passports and the passenger lists; other governments vary.
I didn't save a link for that, but you can do a search.

Hawkeye, just because people don't start threads doesn't mean they aren't following the situation online, and doesn't mean they have no interest.

It is however a pretty good indication that they collectively have little to say on the subject
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 03:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
The tracking equipment was on the plane - the airline did not subscribe to the satellite tracking service.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2014 03:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I disagree. Stopping a couple of people from getting on a plane with stolen passports is not worth the effort. 9/11 had nothing to do with stolen passports, and neither did this incident (from all of the reports I have seen).

You are making a big deal about nothing. I already spend enough time in lines at the airport for this silly hysteria.
0 Replies