Blown up over the ocean? sunk to the bottom of the ocean? stollen or hijacked?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
My bad.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 09:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Ok thank you. My point was that if the conspiracy theory about the hijacking was a distraction from Crimea, the only person who could benefit would be Putin. And he wouldn't really benefit if the Chinese found out.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 09:57 am
@rosborne979,
You do realize how naive that sounds right?
Quote:
It's my understanding that the airplane's black box will send out a signal if the airplane is destroyed. But no such signal has been detected.

In the past several centuries of human technology, when has technology been 100% flawless? Even Black boxes I bet can be broken, tampered with, or just plain out of order. For all we know, this black box has been left neglected and unmaintained because the airline's owners thought it was a good way to save money and get away with their own brand of maintenance based neglect.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:04 am
@rosborne979,
If I have this right, all it takes is for the black boxes to submerged for the sonar pingers to start.
They'll run for 30 days.
Problem is, in order to hear them, the sonar has to be within 5-10 miles. Depending upon how deep the water is, it could be 16,000 feet or more, aircraft would nearly have to fly over it's position.
Subs have a better chance, I don't know if there are any subs available to the Malaysians. Chinese subs could arrive in the Indian Ocean (unless they are already there) in three or five days.

Joe(bing)Nation

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:08 am
@Joe Nation,
You may be right about that. Sounds like they have 25 days or so left to fly over the right spot (and get lucky).
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:12 am
@rosborne979,
It took two years to find the French airliner.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
I believe they found the debris from that crash fairly quickly didn't they. But it took two years to retrieve the block box. Or am I remembering that wrong?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 10:58 am
@rosborne979,
I think you might be right.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 02:22 pm
Quote:
stollen or hijacked?

Turned into a German cake?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 02:27 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: Somehow in the confusion they got the plane into a steep climb and went to 45k feet (reported by radar) before losing consciousness.

I thought airliners were pressurised so people could breathe?
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 02:53 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
They are pressurized, but airplanes can suffer 'a loss of cabin pressure'. Surely, Romeo, you have listened to the speech the flight attendants make before every flight reminding us how
Quote:
"the masks will descend from the compartment above your head, bring the mask to your face, cover your nose and mouth and pull on the sidestraps to tighten in place. Oxygen is already flowing, the clear bag attached does not always inflate nor is it necessary for it to do so in order for you to receive oxygen. Should you be in the company of a minor child, place a mask over your face first before placing a mask over the face of the child."

Joe(Right?)Nation
roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:00 pm
@Joe Nation,
Right, but I also understand that with loss of cabin pressure above some particular altitude, there is insufficient partial pressure for even pure oxygen to enter the bloodstream. I could be wrong about that, but I'm sure the memory comes from somewhere.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 03:21 pm
@roger,
Yes, you're right. What's supposed to happen with a decompression is the plane immediately descends while the crew and passengers are on oxygen.
What happened in this case, I think, is that the pilots decided to risk climbing to above 40,000 feet for a few minutes in order to put off what I suspect was a cargo fire.
It didn't work.
Everybody lost consciousness.
The plane descended on auto-pilot, leveled out and flew on ..... .

Joe(This reminds me of another cargo fire flight that crashed in Everglades)Nation
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 04:48 pm
https://scontent-a-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1896720_10203499546948822_1791305737_n.jpg
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 05:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

You do realize how naive that sounds right?
Quote:
It's my understanding that the airplane's black box will send out a signal if the airplane is destroyed. But no such signal has been detected.

In the past several centuries of human technology, when has technology been 100% flawless? Even Black boxes I bet can be broken, tampered with, or just plain out of order. For all we know, this black box has been left neglected and unmaintained because the airline's owners thought it was a good way to save money and get away with their own brand of maintenance based neglect.

I've seen a documentary on the black box that's used in modern aircraft (they're orange by the way). I'm not saying that the thing couldn't fail, but I wouldn't have believed that a device could protect electronics the way these things can unless I saw it with my own eyes. They put this thing under many times the stresses that any crash could expose it to, and the guts of it came out ticking like a good Swiss watch.
RushPoint

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:03 pm
@Wilso,
a black box will not transmit if it's put into a faraday cage, besides all that crap! if there was a problem you would think the pilots would have radioed a mayday or at least some of the passengers would have used their cell phones to call a loved one to say good bye, something not right about this whole ordeal!
parados

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 06:24 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:

a black box will not transmit if it's put into a faraday cage, besides all that crap! if there was a problem you would think the pilots would have radioed a mayday or at least some of the passengers would have used their cell phones to call a loved one to say good bye, something not right about this whole ordeal!

There are no cell towers in the middle of the ocean. The max range of a cell tower is about 35km. It appears the flight was at least 100km off the coast when last contact was made.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:25 pm
Here's the part I would like to understand better at this point. It's going to sound like minutia, but I think it's actually quite important:

The last data transmission from the ACARS occurred about 15 minutes before the transponder went out. Yet every thirty minutes another contact from ACARS occurred, but there was no data, just a connection.

I can imagine a mechanical/electrical failure of some type which would simultaneously terminate all transmissions (which might have made it seem like the transponder was turned off). But I can't imagine a mechanical/electrical scenario in which ONLY the Data portion of the ACARS contact and the transponder are affected, leaving the passive ACARS connection functioning (which it did every 30 minutes for over 5 hours).

If the Data portion of ACARS has to be specifically manually disabled, and it can't be terminated by any electrical failure while still leaving the passive transmission working, then it would have to be an intentional act and not an accident.

RushPoint

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 07:56 pm
@parados,
Good point!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2014 08:23 pm
@RushPoint,
RushPoint wrote:

at least some of the passengers would have used their cell phones to call a loved one to say good bye, something not right about this whole ordeal!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
There are places in NYC that don't have cell phone reception. There must be 1000's of square miles over the Pacific Ocean that doesn't get cell reception.

Soooo? You still think the plane is flying around a week or so after this all happened on ... what you yourself admit to be SEVEN HOURS of fuel??
RushPoint wrote:

enough for a seven hour flight

http://able2know.org/topic/238082-1#post-5609446

That's worse then the Hanukkah story of one day's worth of oil lasting 8 days long.